Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I come from riding a 2014 model Duke 390 which I very much intend to keep for the very fact that I could take it anywhere throw it, thrash it, beat it around and it would still keep running without breaking a sweat! (done close to 60000 miles on it)

Few weeks back, I picked up a 2016 year model Ninja 1000 done about 27000 miles on it for a kickass deal with a whole bunch of accessories on it (R&G Frame sliders, R&G racing spools, R&G Fork protectors, RAM Mount stem and handlebar mounts, Handle bar raisers, two USB chargers, Kawasaki Panniers hard box with one ignition key lock, some unbranded aftermarket slip-ons that just adds a little bass to what that inline 4 deserves, Michelin pilot road 4s and sprocket set recently changed).

Took it on a 350 mile weekend round trip to Chikmagalur along with some riding buddies the second day I bought it, what better way to get to know it. And I was honestly amazed by the fact that this bike could act docile, putter around, cruise and still scare the **** out of you once you decide to throttle past that 5K rpm mark! o_O

Was able to manage the bike on a little off road trail stretch and did not try pushing too hard on some of the curves although I badly wanted to (coming from the ever-flickable 390😅), but it holds well.

All said, I did notice a slight tension on the outside of clutch wire housing probably owing to the cheap aftermarket clutch lever that needs some attention says the previous owner. Would give that a check in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to do many more happy miles on it! ✌

Attaching some pics from the ride...
Some posing.jpg

Chikmagalur.jpg

Mallandur view point.jpg

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome, Coldyeti! Lovely pics. I have not ridden to that part of the country, not even close. The farthest (in southerly) direction that I’ve ridden to would be Lucknow. Kerala, Karnataka and TN are on my radar though.

I have a ‘16 bike too but mine has the graphics on the side cowls and tank.

Reactions: Coldyeti

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
376 Posts
Welcome, did you buy the bike from Madhu? I am in Bangalore but moved on from the Ninja 1000 now...

Reactions: Coldyeti

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, Coldyeti! Lovely pics. I have not ridden to that part of the country, not even close. The farthest (in southerly) direction that I’ve ridden to would be Lucknow. Kerala, Karnataka and TN are on my radar though.

I have a ‘16 bike too but mine has the graphics on the side cowls and tank.
Thanks Bikram! You are welcome to this side of the country! The farthest north I have seen is RJ until Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Tanot, Longewala while I was tripping on my 390 last year. I do manage once or twice a year on a long distance tour and hence thought the Ninja would make some of these mundane straights a lot more interesting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome, did you buy the bike from Madhu? I am in Bangalore but moved on from the Ninja 1000 now...
Yes Agurudev, you are absolutely right! Madhu has been a kind gentleman and I guess the biking community is after-all close-knit here! 😅✌

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks Bikram! You are welcome to this side of the country! The farthest north I have seen is RJ until Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Tanot, Longewala while I was tripping on my 390 last year. I do manage once or twice a year on a long distance tour and hence thought the Ninja would make some of these mundane straights a lot more interesting!
What a fabulous ride that is, Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala! I did it in 2017. Rajasthan is mind-bendingly gorgeous in the winters. Been there twice, with many returns in the pipeline! Have you been on the Jodhpur-Mt. Abu road? A delight!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a fabulous ride that is, Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala! I did it in 2017. Rajasthan is mind-bendingly gorgeous in the winters. Been there twice, with many returns in the pipeline! Have you been on the Jodhpur-Mt. Abu road? A delight!!
Likewise been there two winters (2017, 2019), each time I plan a different route and place. Once it was via GJ - Udaipur - Jaipur route and the other time via Madhya Pradesh (Dhar) this was a more scenic route.
I am pretty sure I will be doing it again coz I missed staying in Jodhpur, Kumbalgarh and Pushkar. So hopefully another winter! 🍻

·
Registered
699 Posts
Likewise been there two winters (2017, 2019), each time I plan a different route and place. Once it was via GJ - Udaipur - Jaipur route and the other time via Madhya Pradesh (Dhar) this was a more scenic route.
I am pretty sure I will be doing it again coz I missed staying in Jodhpur, Kumbalgarh and Pushkar. So hopefully another winter! 🍻
You ride solo?

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Welcome. I need to make a trip to India and hang out with you guys.

If you replace your clutch cable, order one from the 2017 bike. It has some upgrades as compared to the earlier version. Silly, I know, but the newer cable has metal right here. The older version was the normal, plastic housing and it tended to kink, right here. The metal avoids that issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome. I need to make a trip to India and hang out with you guys.

If you replace your clutch cable, order one from the 2017 bike. It has some upgrades as compared to the earlier version. Silly, I know, but the newer cable has metal right here. The older version was the normal, plastic housing and it tended to kink, right here. The metal avoids that issue. View attachment 30457
Thanks RC, you are absolutely spot on, that's exactly where the tension is. Will source a 2017 clutch cable then! ✌

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
On the earlier bikes, pre 2016, I would recommend upgrading to this new cable and planning to switch it out every 10-15,000 miles. The older clutch and a stiff pull, and like you said, that turn is a trouble spot. I always kept a back up hanging on the wall. My local shop pretends to have parts.

When I'm there, I'll see the guy walk "in" the double doors of what appears to be shelves stocked with parts. However, I dont believe I've ever seen them walk "out"of those doors carrying anything. With that in mind, I believe the shelves are filled with styrofoam props. Not parts.

Them stocking a clutch cable? Lol....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the earlier bikes, pre 2016, I would recommend upgrading to this new cable and planning to switch it out every 10-15,000 miles. The older clutch and a stiff pull, and like you said, that turn is a trouble spot. I always kept a back up hanging on the wall. My local shop pretends to have parts.

When I'm there, I'll see the guy walk "in" the double doors of what appears to be shelves stocked with parts. However, I dont believe I've ever seen them walk "out"of those doors carrying anything. With that in mind, I believe the shelves are filled with styrofoam props. Not parts.

Them stocking a clutch cable? Lol....
Thanks for the suggestion, will keep in mind. I have already asked a friend of mine to arrange one.

Regarding sourcing the parts, it's more or less the same here. We have one Kawasaki authorized service center in Bangalore and they don't let you buy parts over the counter as far as I know.
There are other places you could order OEM spares but it would take at least a month if not more to get them here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts