Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wore those orange memory foam ear plugs for the first time while riding.

WOW! I can't believe what I was missing out on. It was like my own personal Fortress of Solitude. I was riding in my own biosphere or bubble of peace. I can see where you could easily go faster than expected because there isn't the increased wind noise to alert you.

Besides the inability to easily communicate with fellow riders at a stop, are there any safety concerns with having limited hearing while riding?

The catalyst for this experiment was because I got a Bell Evo Warp and was comparing it to my Nolan N90. The Evo has better ventilation but does seem to have increased wind noise. I think it might be an acceptable trade off. With the ear plugs the new helmet is win-win.

BTW, like everyone else has commented about the Evo, the internal visor is too light. It's only one shade darker than clear. I don't know if there's a liability issue or Bell wants customers to buy a darker internal visor. The light visor combined with the iridium dark silver face shield is great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use ear buds with music when I ride. The ride is so much more pleasant when you have music. Mind you there is limited hearing with them so I guess there is a safety issue to consider but I tend to focus more and drive extremely defensively when I ride.

I wonder what percentage of riders use ear buds and listen to music too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do the earbud thing as well. I bluetooth my phone to my communicator, and play music on that, as well as use the phone whenever I need to. You're right, long journeys are much more pleasant with music!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you're just using ear plugs, there is no safety concern because you'll hear sirens or horns, right?

But using ear buds with music is exchanging road noise for a preferred audio input. There would be a potential safety issue with that scenario. If you were stopped by police, you would have to quickly yank them out of your ears. Is there a state that allows drivers/riders to have ear buds/headsets on while driving?

NYS allows drivers/riders to use only 1 ear bud while driving/riding

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use ear plugs religiously at track days. Not so much on the street. I have a ringing in my ears that follows me everywhere nowadays. I should start using plugs so it doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried most ear plugs available over the counter but find the simple yellow cylindric ones best for my enourmous ears... I will probably go for some custom made ones in the future.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Never have worn ear plug in all of my years of riding. I like to hear the motor. It's part of the whole motorcycling experience. I have a SENA SMH-10 installed in my helmet which allows me to listen to music, talk on my phone and communicate with other riders with Bluetooth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've tried most ear plugs available over the counter but find the simple yellow cylindric ones best for my enourmous ears... I will probably go for some custom made ones in the future.
I've tried them all including custom fit ear plugs and nothing seems better than the yellow foamies for me. I also have an Sena FM5 for music/phone/bluetooth and I can hear the speakers much better when using the foam earplugs. The ear plugs cancel out the damaging wind/white noise but allow you to hear voice and emergency sounds clearer. Clear tunes up to about 80mph with the yellow foamies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always wear plugs. You can go with the lower db sets if you're worried about the environmental sounds.

I was on the verge of tinnitus years ago when Suomy came out with the Spec1R Extreme line.

From commuting to track days, I can't go without plugs. I also use SMH10 with no issues.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've used Howard Leight Max plugs for years. Love them. Can still hear sirens, horns, etc. I have tinnitus from my earlier years around firearms. I'm trying to preserve as much of my hearing as I can.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howard Leight memory foam do a good job of sealing the ear canal.
It looks like the foam reduces db level 10 points more than Radian custom molded ear plugs.
Does anyone have experience with the Radian diy custom molded ear plugs?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have always used earplugs of varied types over the years, with mixed results, before moving out here. I had started to use noise-isolating earphones for a lot of rides more recently until I developed a recurring (external) ear infection and after 3 weeks of various treatment the doc has finaly it it under control, but has told me not to use anything that goes into the ear further than the canal entrance, that most ear-plugs or earbuds do.

My question - the custom fit versions show as restiing in the outer ear and can include earphones - how effecgtive are they, how far do they intrude into the ear-canal? What does everyone think as I want to reduce wind-noise on freeway rides and prefer to listen to music on most rides?!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you don't use earplugs when you ride, start saving for hearing aids. You'll need at least $2k per ear.

If you have ringing in your ears (tinnitus) you've already damaged your hearing. Some get lucky with a transient and mild steady tone, others have a debilitatingly loud variable ringing that's always there.

I got lucky: mild hearing loss, mild tinnitus.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have always used earplugs of varied types over the years, with mixed results, before moving out here. I had started to use noise-isolating earphones for a lot of rides more recently until I developed a recurring (external) ear infection and after 3 weeks of various treatment the doc has finaly it it under control, but has told me not to use anything that goes into the ear further than the canal entrance, that most ear-plugs or earbuds do.

My question - the custom fit versions show as restiing in the outer ear and can include earphones - how effecgtive are they, how far do they intrude into the ear-canal? What does everyone think as I want to reduce wind-noise on freeway rides and prefer to listen to music on most rides?!
All my custom sets have gone deep; the deeper they go, the better they attenuate.

However, I have heard good things about these:

Moldable Wax Ear Plugs - Moldable Ear Plugs

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've used ear plugs for nearly 30 years, currently use the Howard Leight Max. You can order these in a box of 200 pairs from Amazon, works out to 11 cents per pair.

I've got mild tinnitus with mild loss. In the last few years it's had occasions where it's gotten extremely loud and distracting. I went to my chiropractor who told me my neck was out of adjustment and there was pressure on the nerve, a couple or treatments and it was down to it's usual mild ringing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Norskie, thanks for the suggestion, still needs to be inserted into the ear canal from what I've said. The doc is actually an orolongorogist (or however it's spelt) and I did point out the issue about wind noise, actually I said that my Shoei that was on his desk get's noisy at 60 mph and all he said was "ride at 59 then"!!! Maybe he's thinking about future business!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Norskie, thanks for the suggestion, still needs to be inserted into the ear canal from what I've said. The doc is actually an orolongorogist (or however it's spelt) and I did point out the issue about wind noise, actually I said that my Shoei that was on his desk get's noisy at 60 mph and all he said was "ride at 59 then"!!! Maybe he's thinking about future business!
Hah! Your dr. knows that hearing damage is a function of time and volume; at 59 mph the volume may be reduced a little which means you can ride for a little longer before damage sets in ... so that's not really a good option.

Here's a little chart - motorcycle highway speeds start at about 90 db and frequently get close to 100db:

Hearing Aids - The World's Greatest Hearing Aids - Hearing Instrument Sales and Repairs - Hearing Instrument Services and Products

I don't know if there is a solution for you. Sounds like you need ear-muffs (the kind that go over the ears) but heck if I know how to make those work with a helmet.

Will you have to choose between you Ninja and your longterm ear heath?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts