Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my headlights not sure if I should do HID or LED I want like a white look what does everyone recommend? And if anyone has upgraded what did you do and post pics if you can. Also I'm looking for plug and play I don't want to have to rewire anything thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
Read these 2 threads. I don't think HIDs are the way to go as they scatter too much. The problem with most LEDs is the color is too toward blue for me. I upgraded the stock lights but decided I definitely wanted more.

The bike is very fast and the stock headlights, even upgraded with LEDs, still were inadequate as far as I was concerned. See how I addressed in the first link below. I am much more conspicuous as well.

http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-appearance-modifications/7673-my-aux-lighting-setup.html

http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-appearance-modifications/3210-adding-lightes-see-seen.html

·
Registered
462 Posts
Led conversion (Cree MTG2)

GE Nighthawk xenon (These are halogens)

These halogens turn yellow after a while! Mine is almost a year old and it's starting to turn yellowish.

I took the led conversion out as it didn't give a good spread of light and stuck with the GE. If you get a coupon, it would only be $30.

If you are going to get an LED conversion, be aware that you are probably gonna have to modify or most likely take the dust cover off which would lead to foggy headlights.

The LED was more like a flashlight style light output. I am looking at the LC Philips chips leds, My work truck has it and it was phenomenal, especially in the snow.

I really wish there was a way to incorporate auxiliary lights into the signal lights.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The replacement LEDs I went with required no mods to the dust covers. They are the ones that used the braided metal heat sinks, no fans. The color temp is pretty good on them. I am generally pretty happy with the spread of the light but it doesn't even remotely compare to what the 2 higher output aux lights I added did.

Look here and scroll down a bit to see the video.
2800LM Cree Led x2 - 2allbuyer

For me it was worth the effort and the cost was pretty reasonable. Anyone on in the Bay area is more than welcome to check them out. I likely am going to the Zero electric motorcycle demo day on Friday if it doesn't rain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one have pics or links to the lights you used? I don't wanna add accessory lights I want it to look stock as long as light output is at least stock or better I'll be happy. All I'm trying to achieve is a white light instead of yellow. I've had hids in my truck and I agree the light scatter is bad and it was worse than stock bulbs so I'm leaning towards led. I've tried xenon halogen bulbs but they never seem to give me the color I want

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I should note 90% of my riding is during the day only time I'm night riding is if I get caught out late or something and it's usually only for a ride home from a buddies house or something so I don't do a lot of night riding

·
Registered
483 Posts
Those look like my fyre flys.

I ride 99% in daylight... these are much more distinctive/noticeable than the beer goggles the bike came with. Match these with the phillips markers. Both are fairly easy to replace and are plug and play .. no modification required.

The light is very white. The team that sells them is very helpful. Just a tip there is a spacer on the back of the oem's that needs transferred to the new bulb or you will swear you have the wrong bulb. It's easy now that you know its there.

These are so inexpensive that it is worth the risk.

Good luck!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Keep in mind you WILL have to cut the boots that seal the headlight. So make sure you seal them after you put them in. Many have gone with a similar style and not been as happy as others with the passive radiator style that is braided loops.

Another issue is a lot of the companies lie about the color temps. They tend more toward the blue spectrum (i.e. higher color temps) than they claim. I sent several lights back because of this.

If you read through the second thread I posted up stream you'll find a lot of info of what all we've tried collectively. In general I am not happy with the beam pattern to begin with so just throwing more power when it isn't designed as well as it could be didn't make much sense. Until I went with the aux lights, it was the best I could do. I find that with the higher output LEDs I get scatter too but not as bad as HIDs.

Another option is running halogens and dropping the high beam and running high and low at the same time. I think they should have made both headlights on all the time and had them both with high/low beams. That kicks @$$ on my Vstrom. It laws down some very serious light, good beam pattern, well defined light, etc. and that was over a decade ago when the bike came out. No excuse for the crap Kawi put on the bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on the OPT7's. Should have them today. I'll be sure to report back how they do this weekend. Probably wont be able to ride with them for a while still though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on the OPT7's. Should have them today. I'll be sure to report back how they do this weekend. Probably wont be able to ride with them for a while still though.
I'll be waiting for those pictures man! Can you do me a favor and take a picture of the back of the headlight too to see how much it sticks out? TIA!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be waiting for those pictures man! Can you do me a favor and take a picture of the back of the headlight too to see how much it sticks out? TIA!
Yes me too those are the ones I'm looking at so please pics and details on performance and install procedure!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, so I played around with these a little Sunday. I'm not sure I want to mess with that much modification. It does look like you could leave the large stock boot in place, just not the little one. They are not any deeper than the stock bulb, but they are bigger in diameter. The hold down will need modified, and all the extra stuff would need placed and tied up. I also don't know if you left the stock large boot on, if they would be able to cool. The nice part is, my wife's VW also has H7's, so I will try them there and see if it's a little less dramatic. I may play around with them a little more, we shall see.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok update people the opt7 h7 led headlights are super nice quality and look great but they DO NOT fit our bikes housing I have to return them now someone please help me I want white lights thinking of going with a hyper white halogen now... Idk what to do

·
Registered
828 Posts
The best so far, in LEDs that WORK, are the ones I posted earlier. They are about 6000K for the color temps and markedly better than the stock ones. Next option is to add aux lights like I did. You can also go with the BKMoto and run project HIDs but you have to mod your entire light housing to do it. You can do some cool angel eyes when doing this.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts