Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a bit of a perennial, and it's something I've been meaning to get to for a couple of years, but every time I dive in it just seems much too daunting and I give up.

The stock headlights on my 2016 are just awful: I avoid night rides pretty much entirely, which is a pain, because among other things the twisties are often deserted in the evening!

Apparently they're an H7 with an odd base, as the sticky says.

Various people have posted various LED sets as eBay links in the past but those are all gone.

So, it's early 2020 and I'm in Australia. Do I have to keep living with very average lights, or is there a solution?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bravus, when my Caponord 1200 Rally needed a serious headlight upgrade the guys at Headlight Revolution had what I needed. HR's very methodical comparison tests really helped me separate the excellent from the excrement: www.headlightrevolution.com

Beware of counterfeit products!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I replaced the H7s on my 2014 with HID bulbs from ledperf.com out of France. You need to get the H7c HID bulbs because they're shorter and don't hit the internal reflector in the headlight assembly. It also takes a couple washers to space the bulbs. The ballasts fit right onto the right fairing. I mounted them on a tab that was hanging down doing nothing. I had to fabricate a bit of a bracket (see pics).

You get the same pattern, just a lot more light out of the 35W versions I picked up. Also, since the bulbs take about 10 seconds to come to full brightness, the high beam can't be used as a "pass" flasher. I learned to live with that. I don't know about Australia but it took about 8-9 days to get the product in the USA and cost about $60 US.

Attachments

Reactions: Bravus

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I presume those prices include the entire assemble,,. Remove headlight assemble and replace it with this set up?
Great look, functional,,.

I went with the BKmoto bike specific retrofit kit and frankly I found it to be pretty convoluted and a bit problematic, Ive had several bulb failures, a moisture buildup problem that required a venting system and more recently the high/low beam has been acting up,,.

The one thing you can say for the OEM set up is its simple,,!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering the same thing and have had good luck with VLEDS lights in my subarus. I emailed them a couple days ago and sent the youtube video showing the light set up and some of the issues with spacers, etc.
They recommended the lights below and the spacer you could either cut down the plug as indicated in several install threads on here or they sell spacers as well. The only thing it doesn't address is the H7 to H4, but i think you would just need to cut the plug off the driver and install crimp on blades and plug them into the appropriate terminal on the socket.
I have not bought these yet, because they are $175USD/pr.
MICRO EXTREME H7
H7 BULB ADAPTER HOLDER FOR MAZDA 3/5/6
The attached photo shows that you can take the bulb holder off the front, slide it through the rubber boot and reinstall it. This will allow the cooling fan to be on the outside of the boot (note this is not our application and what is shown is an H4 bulb, but same principle applies).
There are several generic LED bulbs that you can remove the bulb holder but none of them seem to have a retaining nut or anything on them so i don't know what stops them from backing out over time with vibration.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have been disappointed with LED conversions bulbs in halogen housings, at least on my truck. I never even considered HID after flashing my high beams at a late model Mustang that flashed me back and I was blind for about ten minutes and that is no exaggeration.

The '17 N1000 LED's are better than the '19 N400's so I added driving lights, and they are the inexpensive TSC LED lights, maybe 35.00 a pair and temporary until I get Vision X Optimas, Rigid Ignite or KC Flex. They do perform very well though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Reactions: Mark Drabsch

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I've ridden with a N1K that had these and their good. I personally did thd bulb upgrade from stock to silver star to LED with each being a little better, but never great. Finally bit the bullet and installed projectors and wish I'd never have waisted those months in between. There worth every penny.
Ger the 55 watt set up and plan a day to install. Use zip lock bags and a sharpie to keep track of the fasteners and you'll find it's not all that hard.

Reactions: Mark Drabsch

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering the same thing and have had good luck with VLEDS lights in my subarus. I emailed them a couple days ago and sent the youtube video showing the light set up and some of the issues with spacers, etc.
They recommended the lights below and the spacer you could either cut down the plug as indicated in several install threads on here or they sell spacers as well. The only thing it doesn't address is the H7 to H4, but i think you would just need to cut the plug off the driver and install crimp on blades and plug them into the appropriate terminal on the socket.
I have not bought these yet, because they are $175USD/pr.
MICRO EXTREME H7
H7 BULB ADAPTER HOLDER FOR MAZDA 3/5/6
The attached photo shows that you can take the bulb holder off the front, slide it through the rubber boot and reinstall it. This will allow the cooling fan to be on the outside of the boot (note this is not our application and what is shown is an H4 bulb, but same principle applies).
There are several generic LED bulbs that you can remove the bulb holder but none of them seem to have a retaining nut or anything on them so i don't know what stops them from backing out over time with vibration.
View attachment 28925
thank you for this!!! been wanting to upgrade my halogens to LED's but everything out there on the market that's not AliExpress garbage seems to be all 6000k or 6500k, which I personally find too boy-racer hyper-blue tacky for my taste. VLEDs seemed to have gotten the message about wanting understated OEM look and looks to be offering their kit in 5000k, which is a more neutral white that most manufacturers use. I would personally prefer 4300k, but I digress.

I will probably pick up a set during the winter months when they would be most usefull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts