Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
They are impressive motorcycles when they don't have a problem. Four in my group have owned multiple new and used KTMs. No warranty work that I know of was ever needed. However, they did have issues of one sort or another after warranty. Leaky seals, bad sensors, wiring connection issues, one engine bearing. These guys are known for putting at least 60,000 miles on all their bikes. KTMs definitely don't hold up as well as Japanese bikes for high mileage.

For those who can appreciate the difference between an exotic and a domestic, KTMs are worth the hassle and added expense. If mine has problems it'll be difficult to justify not going back to Japanese. My N1K has 60,000 miles, still runs tip top and I'm banking on it lasting at least another 20.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
77 Posts
How far are you willing to go, and how much are you willing to spend?

If you want to get as much as you can without needing cables and stuff, Murphs are the way to go as others have said. They get about as much as you can out of the stock cables, look great, and are "cheap".

But if you want more (and are willing to pay for it), you can go for the Convertibars (54.5mm Convertible Handlebar Set (With V-ROC Technology) (COPY)). It gives you all the adjustments you could ever want. But the catch is that you are going to need custom cables to do it, and that gets to be an expensive pain. And get at least 2 of every cable, so you are not down for a month when one breaks and you need a new one made.

I am glad it did it, because it made things so much more comfortable. But it was not cheap, and it's a pain to have custom ones made each time a cable needs replaced.

·
Registered
54 Posts

If you want to get as much as you can without needing cables and stuff, Murphs are the way to go as others have said. They get about as much as you can out of the stock cables, look great, and are "cheap".

But if you want more (and are willing to pay for it), you can go for the Convertibars (54.5mm Convertible Handlebar Set (With V-ROC Technology) (COPY)). It gives you all the adjustments you could ever want. But the catch is that you are going to need custom cables to do it, and that gets to be an expensive pain. And get at least 2 of every cable, so you are not down for a month when one breaks and you need a new one made.

I am glad it did it, because it made things so much more comfortable. But it was not cheap, and it's a pain to have custom ones made each time a cable needs replaced.

View attachment 31783
It is ALL about finding what works for you!

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I'll bet Mike's bike is comfortable, and I'm sure hes tired of answering this question, but here it is, anyway.

I know part of this bikes appeal is that we can modify it in so many directions, but based on the cost of your bike, plus bars , cables and luggage, screen, etc, I know you could have saved money by buying a leftover Versys 1000 and probably ended up with the one that has electronic suspension. Our local shop had to hold a raffle to get rid of their high end Versys. It was down to 10,900 before the "give away"

I like the modded stuff, personally, but that Versys looks like it might have worked really well, for you, and not needed such radical changes?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll bet Mike's bike is comfortable, and I'm sure hes tired of answering this question, but here it is, anyway.

I know part of this bikes appeal is that we can modify it in so many directions, but based on the cost of your bike, plus bars , cables and luggage, screen, etc, I know you could have saved money by buying a leftover Versys 1000 and probably ended up with the one that has electronic suspension. Our local shop had to hold a raffle to get rid of their high end Versys. It was down to 10,900 before the "give away"

I like the modded stuff, personally, but that Versys looks like it might have worked really well, for you, and not needed such radical changes?
Actually that's the first time I have been asked that question.

The main answer is the lack of a lower fairing. I LOVE the wind protection my legs and feet get on the N1k, as I do a lot of cold weather riding. I also ride in sandals (because I am a moron), so even on hot days that turn into cool nights my feet don't get cold.

I only paid around $11k for the Ninja as a new bike. The seat was close to $1k, and the bars not far behind (risers, grips, guards, cables). The windscreen is only around $250, about the same for the Scottoiler. I actually already had the Givi Bags (I have since upgraded them as the older ones started to show their age), so I just needed the brackets (that I got installed free because I got them at purchase time). So the cost of all the mods is really "only" around $3,000.

I still would have likely done the seat on the Versys, and the larger windscreen. The bags I have now are considerably bigger than the ones that it would have come with (I do a lot of trips, and suck at traveling light). It prolly would have saved me the handlebar upgrades (and that is a pain because of the custom cables), but that's really about it.

So for around $14k, I have a true touring bike that can match the comfort of any of the big $30k bikes from HD, BMW, or a Goldwing (at least for solo riding, 2 up would be a different story). And this bike is faster and handles better than any of those will. I was VERY close to getting an HD Road Glide, even had a deposit on one. But I am so glad I went this direction instead. On top of saving me at least $10k, it ends up being a bike that fits my style far better.

Also, the color can't be beat. The Kawasaki Green just looks so good.

Only thing I really wish it had was cruise control, and I have been looking at the new ones that do have it. Kinda glad they didn't come in green for this year....

·
Registered
55 Posts

Just a quick question on the bars, I thought our factory fork tubes were 50mm.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I was totally unaware that Versys 1000 leftovers were that available or going for prices that low. I haven't driven a Versys 1000, but I'm assuming the engine tune is significantly different than the Ninja?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, the fork tube tops are 50mm.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts