Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In searching, I've found a few different options out there for bar risers or replacing the bars with something adjustable, and I wondered if there were any good options I was missing, and if it might be helpful to others to sort of list out the options. Also, some of the posts (and not necessarily on this forum) I found were older and said something like "this is what I got" and then had a link to an amazon or ebay item that no longer exists (so I couldn't even tell which product they were). So in no particular order:
  • Murph's Bar risers. For these, you remove the factory handlebars, install the Murph riser in the factory mount, and then reinstall the factory handlebars into the Murph riser. According to their description, it raises the bar 1.5 inches and moves it rearward .5 inches, with no change to the angle of the bars. They also claim no changes are necessary to any of the wires, clutch cable, or brake line
  • Clip On Risers. There are a variety of different clip on bar sets out there. Looks like the stock forks are 50 mm, but you will generally need some sort of rise to the bars for them to fit the fairing. Advantage here is that you can not only change the position of the bars, but also the angles, width, etc (depending on what clipons you get). It seems a lot of people are using these to actually set the bars lower than factory, and to change from the flat bar angle to a downward angle (much like many supersport bikes have). For these, you'll be removing the factory mounts, installing the clipons, and moving the controls from the factory bars over to the new bars. Obviously, your ability to adjust the angle of the bars here is going to limited by interference with the fairing, gas tank, windshield, etc.
    • Apex - I am seeing the Apex 3 inch clipons fairly frequently. Has anyone tried a 4 inch height, or does it look like those would have clearance issues with the windshield?
    • Woodcraft
    • Speedymoto
    • Tarozzi - a somewhat different looking riser system from most of the others
    • Lots of cheap clipons on amazon, ebay
  • Convertibars
  • Moto CNC. These install between the factory mounts and the top of the fork; sort of a spacer. One downside I can see is that they would block access to the adjustments on the fork (which may not be an issue if you have your suspension set the way you like it and haven't needed to change it). They also seem to be sold from the UK, and I can't find any US sellers
  • Others that may or may not be relevant
    • LSL Handlebar Riser Kit. It looks like this still exists, and is a replacement for the top triple clamp. The new clamp has bosses and a bracket to take a set of handlebars. I see descriptions saying it fits 2011-2014; I'm not sure if there was change after 2014 that makes it no longer fit
    • Triple Clamp swap or some sort of clipon-to-handlebar adapter. I've seen these sorts things in the streetfighter and stuntbike world, for other models of bikes, where people are putting on a set of old-school handlebars (often inexpensive dirtbike bars).
Any others that I'm missing? The Murph's bar risers seem to be pretty popular, and I've been considering them, though I'm also interested in the idea of being able to change the bar angle (it seems a little bit of downward angle would be more natural for a sporty riding position).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I first installed the Apex 3" risers. They worked fine, but I changed to the 4" risers which worked just a little better for me. I'm a sportbike guy by nature, so these feel a lot like my zx-10r and gxsr1000.
Funny that the angle back and down ended up nearly identical to my older Concours14 with Murphs risers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I first installed the Apex 3" risers. They worked fine, but I changed to the 4" risers which worked just a little better for me. I'm a sportbike guy by nature, so these feel a lot like my zx-10r and gxsr1000.
Funny that the angle back and down ended up nearly identical to my older Concours14 with Murphs risers.
So apex clip-ons with 4 inch risers, and it sounds like you angled the bars down a bit and swept them back a bit? Any issues with interference? With the apex risers, it looks like you need to use their bars and swap over all the controls, correct? Did you reuse the factory grips? Bar ends?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here's my Apex 3" install thread: Apex 3" Riser Clip-On Install

Whether you need clutch and brake line extensions with the 4" version depends on how you set up the bar angles. To me, the stock handlebars feel too much like a naked bike (straight across). With my 3" set up, I wanted more drop and sweep angles - more like on a sportbike. That is the main claim of fame for the Apex clip-ons. So... even though the bar height was lower compared to stock, my Apex 3" risers' sharper angles meant the stock clutch cable and brake line ended up without a whole lot of slack. With my angles, raising another inch - with the 4" version - might be okay but definitely kinda tight.

Now, if you set the Apex bars more-or-less straight across, like stock handlebars, then the stock clutch cable and brake line should be fine.

Realistically, though, if you want a more relaxed (more upright) ergo than stock handlebars, I don't think the Apex riser clip-ons - even the 4" - is what you want.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I reused the factory grips with the 4" risers. All the cables worked fine with how I've got them adjusted. I did use the Apex bar ends, but filled the hollow bars with BBs to quell most of the vibration. Note that if you adjust yours differently, the cables might be a little tight.
I have the windscreen set to one click below full up. This allows clearance to the bars, plus flows the wind perfectly for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you want the convertibars, you will likely also want custom cables. Keep that added expense and hassle in mind.

That’s what I went with, because I wanted a lot of rise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's my Apex 3" install thread: Apex 3" Riser Clip-On Install

Whether you need clutch and brake line extensions with the 4" version depends on how you set up the bar angles. To me, the stock handlebars feel too much like a naked bike (straight across). With my 3" set up, I wanted more drop and sweep angles - more like on a sportbike. That is the main claim of fame for the Apex clip-ons. So... even though the bar height was lower compared to stock, my Apex 3" risers' sharper angles meant the stock clutch cable and brake line ended up without a whole lot of slack. With my angles, raising another inch - with the 4" version - might be okay but definitely kinda tight.

Now, if you set the Apex bars more-or-less straight across, like stock handlebars, then the stock clutch cable and brake line should be fine.

Realistically, though, if you want a more relaxed (more upright) ergo than stock handlebars, I don't think the Apex riser clip-ons - even the 4" - is what you want.
I think that this is part of the problem; I'm not 100% sure what I want (or what I "need" to be more comfortable). The stock bar angle does seem a little weird, and I can see how angling the bars down (like my F4i was) might be more comfortable, but I don't want the bars to be too low. I've heard a lot of good about the Murph's risers, but I'm a little concerned that I'll end up still wanting to adjust the angle and sweep of the bars afterwards.

With the apex risers, I'm assuming you can't angle the riser forward or back; the only forward/rearward adjustment you can make is by rotating the clip-on around the fork?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reused the factory grips with the 4" risers. All the cables worked fine with how I've got them adjusted. I did use the Apex bar ends, but filled the hollow bars with BBs to quell most of the vibration. Note that if you adjust yours differently, the cables might be a little tight.
I have the windscreen set to one click below full up. This allows clearance to the bars, plus flows the wind perfectly for me.
Do you have any other pics? it looks like you have the bars angled down a little bit compared to the stock angles?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think that this is part of the problem; I'm not 100% sure what I want (or what I "need" to be more comfortable). The stock bar angle does seem a little weird, and I can see how angling the bars down (like my F4i was) might be more comfortable, but I don't want the bars to be too low. I've heard a lot of good about the Murph's risers, but I'm a little concerned that I'll end up still wanting to adjust the angle and sweep of the bars afterwards.

With the apex risers, I'm assuming you can't angle the riser forward or back; the only forward/rearward adjustment you can make is by rotating the clip-on around the fork?
You can angle the Apex however you want. That's why I like them.

Realistically, if I wanted long haul comfort on the N1k, I'd probably stay with the stock bars. Since I already have K1600GT for that, I wanted the N1k to be more of a Gentleman's Sportbike. Now, there is a reason why true Sportbike all have similar ergos and bar angles. They just work a lot better when the rider gets into a forward tuck and shifts body position braking into and thru corners. To me, it's worth compromising long haul comfort just a sliver to optimize for the slice and dice.

The ergos I've got my N1k set up now is very close to that of VFR1200F, which IMO is the perfect compromise between comfort and aggressiveness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can angle the Apex however you want. That's why I like them.

Realistically, if I wanted long haul comfort on the N1k, I'd probably stay with the stock bars. Since I already have K1600GT for that, I wanted the N1k to be more of a Gentleman's Sportbike. Now, there is a reason why true Sportbike all have similar ergos and bar angles. They just work a lot better when the rider gets into a forward tuck and shifts body position braking into and thru corners. To me, it's worth compromising long haul comfort just a sliver to optimize for the slice and dice.

The ergos I've got my N1k set up now is very close to that of VFR1200F, which IMO is the perfect compromise between comfort and aggressiveness.
I feel like with the stock bars, they were shooting for a compromise and it ended up just not working well (at least for me); they aren't high enough or back far enough to sit upright, but the angle is wrong for a more sporting posture.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have the bars angled further downward and rearward from stock, plus more inboard. These pictures were with the 3" risers so you can see the difference to stock.
That picture really shows the difference; with the clip-on rotated like that it makes it look like the apex riser is actually taller than the stock one.
What windshield is that?

·
Premium Member
13,008 Posts
With 3", clearance is ok? I need to order some. I'm ok with he stock bar, but being able to change the angle would be amazing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had no clearance issues with either 3 or 4 inch risers, even though it depends on how you have them adjusted. Fortunately I'm OK with having the bars adjusted so my knuckles cleared the tank at full lock, plus I had to keep the windscreen in one of the upper positions to prevent interference at the other full lock.
Any other set up could have issues, you won't know until you install them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
LOL; I'm trying to make mine to be more of a tourer.
I want the grips to be lower, more forward and less angled-back for more comfort and for getting out of the wind, even with the 6" taller windscreen. I am not tall, 5' 6"
I can see why manufacturers go crazy designing sport-tourers!! One size fits no one!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
In searching, I've found a few different options out there for bar risers or replacing the bars with something adjustable, and I wondered if there were any good options I was missing, and if it might be helpful to others to sort of list out the options. Also, some of the posts (and not necessarily on this forum) I found were older and said something like "this is what I got" and then had a link to an amazon or ebay item that no longer exists (so I couldn't even tell which product they were). So in no particular order:
  • Murph's Bar risers. For these, you remove the factory handlebars, install the Murph riser in the factory mount, and then reinstall the factory handlebars into the Murph riser. According to their description, it raises the bar 1.5 inches and moves it rearward .5 inches, with no change to the angle of the bars. They also claim no changes are necessary to any of the wires, clutch cable, or brake line
  • Clip On Risers. There are a variety of different clip on bar sets out there. Looks like the stock forks are 50 mm, but you will generally need some sort of rise to the bars for them to fit the fairing. Advantage here is that you can not only change the position of the bars, but also the angles, width, etc (depending on what clipons you get). It seems a lot of people are using these to actually set the bars lower than factory, and to change from the flat bar angle to a downward angle (much like many supersport bikes have). For these, you'll be removing the factory mounts, installing the clipons, and moving the controls from the factory bars over to the new bars. Obviously, your ability to adjust the angle of the bars here is going to limited by interference with the fairing, gas tank, windshield, etc.
    • Apex - I am seeing the Apex 3 inch clipons fairly frequently. Has anyone tried a 4 inch height, or does it look like those would have clearance issues with the windshield?
    • Woodcraft
    • Speedymoto
    • Tarozzi - a somewhat different looking riser system from most of the others
    • Lots of cheap clipons on amazon, ebay
  • Convertibars
  • Moto CNC. These install between the factory mounts and the top of the fork; sort of a spacer. One downside I can see is that they would block access to the adjustments on the fork (which may not be an issue if you have your suspension set the way you like it and haven't needed to change it). They also seem to be sold from the UK, and I can't find any US sellers
  • Others that may or may not be relevant
    • LSL Handlebar Riser Kit. It looks like this still exists, and is a replacement for the top triple clamp. The new clamp has bosses and a bracket to take a set of handlebars. I see descriptions saying it fits 2011-2014; I'm not sure if there was change after 2014 that makes it no longer fit
    • Triple Clamp swap or some sort of clipon-to-handlebar adapter. I've seen these sorts things in the streetfighter and stuntbike world, for other models of bikes, where people are putting on a set of old-school handlebars (often inexpensive dirtbike bars).
Any others that I'm missing? The Murph's bar risers seem to be pretty popular, and I've been considering them, though I'm also interested in the idea of being able to change the bar angle (it seems a little bit of downward angle would be more natural for a sporty riding position).
Moto CNC offer worldwide shipping.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Moto CNC offer worldwide shipping.
I did see that, but just thought I should mention it (I'm sure shipping and currency conversion are going to factor into the price).
Interestingly, I saw something else on Moto-CNC's page:
50 mm streetfighter handlebar conversion

This seems like a potential inexpensive option; I've seen a variety of other conversions that a single piece (which means you would need to find one that fits the spacing of the forks, AND doesn't interfere with the ignition). Of course with these, there's still some fitment questions, but to me it looks like they would fit the on top of the factory triple clamp (of course the next question would be about what bars will clear the windshield and tank).

I was actually thinking about this sort of approach again last night, and wondering if I could use a set of clip on risers to make a mount for a handlebar, but this would probably be a much easier approach.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts