Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weather was good, and friend was available; so, we went for an 8hr ride to a nearby island (Whidbey Island). The farm roads with open fields are to die for riding with this weather.
Had a mouth-watering shrimp burger to tie up the hunger pangs.
And, off we go .... to explore the Island.
At the end, hopped on a ferry to return to the mainland.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
166 Posts
Never managed to get over that way and take my time to enjoy it. Any time I was in the neighborhood I was in a mad dash up 5 to get to the border.

Reactions: arthury

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Yup, I live 9 miles from the Ferry Dock. Very cool to see someone discovering roads I've been riding most of my adult life. Arthury ought to have about 20k miles on that new Ninja after the awesome summer we're having.

Kinda sucks that mad dashes to the border nowadays END at the border. :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not quite 20K miles ... just over 1100 miles.:)
I am, indeed, going to the Google maps constantly to check where are the next possible long trip routes with recommendations from Butler Motorcycle Maps Washington. Their G1 routes seem to be very well curated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... still hoping to do the SR-20 -> Winthrop -> Hwy 97 -> Hwy 2 -> Leavenworth -> Monroe in early Fall after all the forest fires in the Okanogan areas are put out.
The other loop in view is Tipsoo Lake (Mt Rainier) on SR 410 -> SR 821 -> SR 97 -> hwy 2 .
I have driven through SR 821 and it is one of the most picturesque places east of the Cascades.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never managed to get over that way and take my time to enjoy it. Any time I was in the neighborhood I was in a mad dash up 5 to get to the border.
Well, on the Canadian side, there are some gems to explore, too.
Not sure what it is like riding/exploring the huge Vancouver Island. Besides Victoria, the rest of the island looks sparsely populated. I think it will take days to go through that Island.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Don't forget when it gets hot there's always the Olympic Penninsula. Hurricane ridge is a great day trip. You can stretch it to 370 mile day if you stretch it to Neah Bay. I start and end the day with the Edmonds-Kingston ferry. Buy a return trip ticket going over so no waiting on the way back.
Once over there you can pick your size loop.
Short day, loop Hood Canal on roads close to the water. ~100 miles on loop itself.
West on 101-112-113. Out to Neah Bay & back, back on 101, side trip to Hurricane Ridge. ~370 miles for me.
West on 101, south on 101, loop back on 12.
West on 101, south on 101, loop back on 6.
West on 101, south on 101, loop back along Columbia River either north side or south side.
BTW, you know there's a track in Shelton if you are inclined that way too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I agree with you that once on the Olympic Peninsula, there's a variable loop.
For sure, Hurricane Ridge is one of the spots to hit.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
166 Posts
Well, on the Canadian side, there are some gems to explore, too.
Not sure what it is like riding/exploring the huge Vancouver Island. Besides Victoria, the rest of the island looks sparsely populated. I think it will take days to go through that Island.
For road riding, the island is pretty meh. You can go from Parksville to Tofino, all the way up to Port Hardy at the northern tip of the island, and to Strathcona Provincial Park/Gold River. Not a whole lot otherwise. Roads are just a long, narrow strip on the east side. But if you like forest roads and two track, you'll be hard pressed to ride the same road twice as long as the timber companies aren't gating things off.

A pretty classic but expensive ride is to do the three ferries. Vancouver to the Island, the Island to Sunshine Coast, and Sunshine Coast back to Vancouver/Horseshoe Bay.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
-or- Ride up to Port Hardy and take the inland passage up to Prince Rupert. It's a day (or night) on a boat but then you're on an empty stretch of 2 lane all the way back to Prince George. I don't know what the ferry schedule is now but back when I went, we hit the ferry in the evening in Prince Rupert had a good sleep and woke up in Port Hardy.
The island would be a nicer ride if you could ride -around- it. Only 1 road north to south and one east to west... But they have Buchart gardens, the butterfly gardens and Victoria is kind of a cool place to spend a day or two.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
166 Posts
It would be awesome if the Island had a road like the Atlantic Coast Road in Norway. It would put the PCH to shame. Roads carved into the rock along the shore and tons of bridges connecting the small islands and spits. It'd probably cost more to maintain than the Cambria > Monterey section of the PCH with the giant waves slamming into it from Oct - April.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would be awesome if the Island had a road like the Atlantic Coast Road in Norway. It would put the PCH to shame. Roads carved into the rock along the shore and tons of bridges connecting the small islands and spits. It'd probably cost more to maintain than the Cambria > Monterey section of the PCH with the giant waves slamming into it from Oct - April.
Yes, I agree, roads on these areas with intense weather patterns in the winter will certainly cost more to maintain. Besides the grand coastal roads carved into rocks, I can also think of roads with endless switchbacks carved into the inland mountains here in the west coast, like the SR410 (aka Chinook Scenic Byway), SR542 (aka Mt Baker Highway) and SR20 (aka North Cascade Hwy). In many ways, they are quite similar to the European Alps.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
After coming off an offshore rig, I had a free day in Stavanger before my return flight, so I took a 1/2-day Rødne Fjord cruise. I could see cars meandering along the cliff side roads and over the high suspension bridges linking ragged canyon sides. All I could think of was... I wish I'm on a bike there instead of this boat.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like fun! What is the dohicky attached to your windscreen though?
That's the super simplified Beeline GPS designed for motorcyclists.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I've never heard of that. I'll definitely take a look! Thanks!
Take a look at these ... it came into the market 2-3 years ago by a British startup company.

And, this is what you see on its screen ... extreme simplicity ... so you do NOT need to keep staring at the GPS:

in this example, the screen is telling you this:
  • continue straight as the big ARROW says
  • your next turn is in 0.1 miles and the angle of turn is almost 90 degrees to the RIGHT (the turning white dot)
Personally, in a 1 sec glance, I can pick up all these info.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
155 Posts
Take a look at these ... it came into the market 2-3 years ago by a British startup company.

And, this is what you see on its screen ... extreme simplicity ... so you do NOT need to keep staring at the GPS:

in this example, the screen is telling you this:
  • continue straight as the big ARROW says
  • your next turn is in 0.1 miles and the angle of turn is almost 90 degrees to the RIGHT (the turning white dot)
Personally, in a 1 sec glance, I can pick up all these info.
That is super cool. Thanks for sharing!

It is pretty expensive. How do you feel about it compared to just getting a phone mount? Is it really worth the cost?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is super cool. Thanks for sharing!

It is pretty expensive. How do you feel about it compared to just getting a phone mount? Is it really worth the cost?
Compared to a phone's GPS (Apple Map, Google Map), here are the advantages and disadvantages:
  • Power usage: Phone's map app has a large visual map to maintain and draws a lot of power. Beeline does not. A full charge on Beeline lasts around 30 hours. The Beeline app in the phone has to be running during navigating but your phone can be turned to Airplane Mode (i.e. no cell connection, no WiFi and no display, only bluetooth). Remember that phone GPS picks up satellite broadcasts, it's different from cell network.
  • Visual direction: The Beeline's big ARROW is a several times larger than phone app arrow, so my eyes do not need to linger on the phone to pick up directional instructions.
  • Compact size and rider's gazing angle: Beeline is compact and so it can be mounted as high up on the windshield as I want. As such, my eyes do not need to sweep all the way down to the tank to get GPS info. Because it is so high up, my gaze remains straight on the road and only my eyes need to rotate downwards a little for a glance. In terms of the angle of gaze, it's almost like a small heads-up display in a car.
  • Weatherproof: Beeline is quite weatherproof based on its standard military rating.
I would say that the phone's map app will be more superior than Beeline technically if you are also connected with audio ON to your helmet's audio device or ear-buds.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts