Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a 2017 Ninja 1000 and loved it and it sounds like the current version has a lot of improvements so I'm sure it's a great motorcycle. One thing I remember needing improvement was the need for a 7 gear or a wider ratio to get the RPMs down at freeway speeds. I changed a sprocket as recommended on this forum which helped.

Recently I impulsed purchased a 2020 Z H2 that was left over from last year on the dealers showroom and I am still in the break in period but I'm blown away by how cool this motorcycle is. My plan is to use it for thrilling short rides around the local roads here and potentially take it on some RV trips to other great roads. With the very quiet stock muffler and the strong pull it feels like a Tesla on two wheels! I added a generic windshield and am going to add a top case but that is probably it.

The N1K was my first sport style motorcycle and since I missed that experience after trading it in, when I saw the Z H2 and read up on it I figured might as well get that feeling back in spades!

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Well, I'm glad you like your ZH2. I haven't bought anything yet, but am giving serious consideration to a leftover 2019 SX SE. It's not a plus version, so there's no electronic suspension, but the bike is discounted quite a bit. My concern is that I think the electronic suspension settings would really make it easy to dial the bike in and actually use it a little more aggressively. I'd like to hear what some others' experiences are, but I think the rider aids really help with the cornering ability/handling. You could pick your traction control level, pick your riding mode, then dial suspension from there, but if it's manual, based, on my own history, I wouldn't end up fiddling with it. Maybe the rider modes do enough.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
67 Posts
Well, I'm glad you like your ZH2. I haven't bought anything yet, but am giving serious consideration to a leftover 2019 SX SE. It's not a plus version, so there's no electronic suspension, but the bike is discounted quite a bit. My concern is that I think the electronic suspension settings would really make it easy to dial the bike in and actually use it a little more aggressively. I'd like to hear what some others' experiences are, but I think the rider aids really help with the cornering ability/handling. You could pick your traction control level, pick your riding mode, then dial suspension from there, but if it's manual, based, on my own history, I wouldn't end up fiddling with it. Maybe the rider modes do enough.
When I picked up the new SV650 last week, I asked the Dealer Sales Manager was the H2 SX SE permanently dropped from Kawa Au's listing.
Yes, he said. Did not sell at the needed price point and only the mid range S model (everything minus the electronic suspension) is now available in Au for 2021 at least.
Whoever bought one of them here in Australia has a rare beast of a bike. I missed out on a demo ride by 30 minutes. Someone bought it while I was on the way there, so that was that.
I can certainly agree that the Z H2 needs a screen; the accessory screen should be on it from day 1 ex Factory. Most of the Factory Press Test video's on YouTube have it fitted.

Rob.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
As intriguing as the H2SX is, I always end up at the same place - the pegs are a little too high for comfortable touring, so I cannot imagine doing anything other than day trips. If that's the case, I might as well get the lowering pegs for the CBR 1000RR and use it. It might not have that planted feel that a 575 lb motorcycle like the H2SX had, but it most certainly will be a lot of fun in the twisties and the sweepers.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Personally
Personally, I hate electronic suspension. In had a 2018 S1000RR for a bit. I felt like the suspension was wrong all the time. The technology for good electronic suspension is still not available in a retail setting. The current technology lags too much, and by the time it responds, it's too late and in the wrong place for the next need.

Frankly, other than the non-electronic Ohlins suspension I had on my 06 Tuono Factory, I thought the suspension on my H2 SX SE was the best I have ridden on factory equipment. Yeah, my GSXR1000 and ZX12R are a little better since I'm running Ohlins forks and shocks on them, but not that much better. I really was shocked (pun intended) about how well the H2 SX SE handled. If you get the sag and dumping set correctly it is a wonderful handling bike.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
That's good to know. With standard suspension set for me, lowering pegs and a comfortable seat, it would probably be a lot of fun. I just can't see the need to be adjusting the suspension back and forth on a bike that's primarily ridden on the street. The fact that there's power modes and traction Control and ABS settings is really overkill already. Anyone running a different windscreen? IVE HEARD that it's not the greatest. Other than the R1200GS, I have yet to ride a bike with sufficient wind protection. (Excluding the mothership baggers, etc. Vfr1200F was surprisingly good).

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
To me, the H2 SX SE seat is fantastic. I've done back to back 700 mile days on it and I was fine.

I don't know how anyone with legs can ride an H2 SX. I have a 32" inseam and had to put on lowering pegs. They sucked and I finally pulled them back off.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Knight's Design

1) Too wide. Also, I kept hitting the step in the pedal when quickly grabbing the rear brake. I would occasionally miss a shift for the same reason.
2) I couldn't get the brake lever where I wanted it. There is an extra switch on the brake lever for the cruise control, and it didn't have enough adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
2) I couldn't get the brake lever where I wanted it. There is an extra switch on the brake lever for the cruise control, and it didn't have enough adjustment.
Take a short piece of just about any kind of wire. Unhook the wire spring from the post on the brake lever. A loop around the post and a loop around the bottom of the spring and you get a whole new adjustment range. If you have pliers and wire cutters it's a 5 minute job. I've done it with every one of my Ninjas when I lowered the pegs.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Take a short piece of just about any kind of wire. Unhook the wire spring from the post on the brake lever. A loop around the post and a loop around the bottom of the spring and you get a whole new adjustment range. If you have pliers and wire cutters it's a 5 minute job. I've done it with every one of my Ninjas when I lowered the pegs.
The second switch on the brake pedal for cruise control is nothing like the brake light pull switch. It is a microswitch. Those techniques will not work for it.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
The second switch on the brake pedal for cruise control is nothing like the brake light pull switch. It is a microswitch. Those techniques will not work for it.
Oops. Didn't know about that one. I'll stick to the Ninja's I know...

161 - 173 of 173 Posts