Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw a story from Visordown that says the H2 & H2r may be done after 2021.

Said the engineering may continue on with the Bimota TESI H2.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Thats interesting. I could argue either way about the h2. Young machine should be called, "Wild *** guess machine". They talk about h2r emissions. That's awesome, but that's not a street legal bike. It's not required to meet emissions no more than the kxf:450 is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I’m assuming that the H2 SX and H2Z are continuing? The H2 and H2R are not practical for much more than a show bike in my opinion. They are expensive to build, expensive to crash and don’t really fit most types of riding. Or maybe another way to put is is that for half the money you can buy a ZX14R. That with headers and a flash will likely out run the street version without risking the high dollar paint job.

·
Registered
557 Posts
H2 and H2R are halo bikes for Kawi. By now, the novelty has more or less worn off. Tom Cruise has already pillioned a babe on one. Everybody that wanted one - and willing to shell out $30-55k - have already gotten one. There is really no other bike to beat, so the only way to generate more sales is to one up themselves with even more performance, and that gets expensive. The first two have served their purpose of paving a sales revenue for the SX and Z versions, which no doubt will continue.

Now that Kawi owns Bimota, that is their premium brand. Like Lexus is for Toyota, it's a more appropriate platform for this sort of exclusivity and the MSRPs that they command.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's interesting after owning a 2011 Z1000 and a 2014 Ninja 1000, and then an H2 SX SE. I've come full circle. I still feel the H2 SX is a far more comfortable sport tourer than the other two, not the a Z1000 pretends to tour. Some that haven't rode the H2 SX ***** about a tiny bit more weight than the N1K, but again, they haven't been on both. It rides much lighter after having owned both. But I'll agree, supercharged on a heavy bike defeats the purpose.

I'm loving the hell out of my modded "sport tourer" 06 GSXR1000. Way lighter than any of these and the power and comfort are far above these also.

I think it smart for Kawasaki to let the heavy supercharged bikes go. Hopefully we can see some lighter "sport" tourers come out.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
78 Posts
It's interesting after owning a 2011 Z1000 and a 2014 Ninja 1000, and then an H2 SX SE. I've come full circle. I still feel the H2 SX is a far more comfortable sport tourer than the other two, not the a Z1000 pretends to tour. Some that haven't rode the H2 SX * about a tiny bit more weight than the N1K, but again, they haven't been on both. It rides much lighter after having owned both. But I'll agree, supercharged on a heavy bike defeats the purpose.

I'm loving the hell out of my modded "sport tourer" 06 GSXR1000. Way lighter than any of these and the power and comfort are far above these also.

I think it smart for Kawasaki to let the heavy supercharged bikes go. Hopefully we can see some lighter "sport" tourers come out.
I put 7,000 miles on my ‘18 H2 SX SE before trading it on a ‘20 1000SX and am very happy that I did. The H2 SX is 60 lbs heavier, which is not insignificant, but to me it felt like more. I think that the H2 SX carries its weight higher and is slower to turn in. I do like a heavier bike for sport touring like my FJR, but for day rides with lots of curves I prefer a more nimble bike like the 1000SX. I also find it more comfortable than the H2 SX—slightly more upright riding position with less reach to the bars.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I'm one of those people who have harped about taking such a bike and simply making it comfortable. You get the best of both worlds: all day comfort with super sport power to weight ratio. What's not to like? And if you have cash on hand (not too much is needed) and some mechanical skills, you can perform this formula on an older liter bike and reap big benefits. Because the Japanese big three figured out the right formula for super sports decades ago. I remember the CBR929/954rr when it first came out. It was an unbelievable performance back in 2001. I recently test rode a 2002 model (100% stock) with low miles and I'm here to tell you folks, that bike does not give up much performance to today's hyper horsepower, fully electronically controlled bikes. It was fast, handled great, smooth engine and gearbox, great brakes, and so on. I also recently test rode a 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R with 30k miles on it (mostly stock just a pipe) and holy smokes that bike was fast, light, agile, yet docile when I wanted it to. Cheap too! I almost bought it! But my garage said no! LOL! For a while I was entertaining the idea of making that bike as my sport bike because I know for a fact the performance of these "older" bikes isn't better than the 2020 bikes. Seriously folks, quickshifters, IMU's, ABS, TC, launch control, wheelie control, none of these things make you a better rider nor help you go faster. On the contrary all these actually does hold you back from having the ride of your lives! After riding that ZX10R I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

57x, did you see the YouTube video from Revzilla where Zach Corts and Aari Henning put their well worn 2005 GSXR1000 against a 2020 Panigale V4s? Guess which bike went faster at the track? I won't bust the bubble but do watch it because it's great fun and very telling.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How's this for sportbike comfort? You can thank Kris Krome for this monstrosity of an R6.

·
Registered
897 Posts
OCL, yeah, I giggled when I saw that video a month ago with the GSXR1000. Like you said, I'm not surprised. Many have said that GSXR1000 frame was one of the best ever designed.

On a similar note to your discussion, I was lucky enough to find a low mile 04 ZX12R recently. It was cheap since that bike sadly has a horrible resale value. It's one of my favorite bikes of all Kawasaki's.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
That comparison was interesting, but maybe not that surprising, if you think about it.

The Suzuki is probably the best open class liter bike that's ever been built. Especially if street riding is mixed into he equasion. Tires were the same. I believe they said the Suzuki had suspension work. If that's the case, that's what did it.

The electronic suspension is awesome for the person who is afraid to tune their suspension. Most bikes have never had the preload set, much less the damping. Electronic suspension isn't going to compete with well set up, manual suspension. Maybe in 10 yrs, but not now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The GSXR1000 in the Revzilla test had refreshed suspension. Although still just new springs, valves, fluid, nothing close to the full Ohlins system on the V4S. They eliminated the tires and rider equation. I believe the reality was, they felt more comfortable pushing the GSXR1000 to its limits, more than they did with the V4s. Mind you that GSXR1000 was clapped out with unknown mileage (over 55k miles), questionable modifications, and probably just "average sportbike" quality upgrades to brakes. The chain looked old. LOL! Still....results don't lie. You don't need 200 rwhp, full electronics, aero-wings, and all the programming formerly reserved for fighter jets to go fast or faster.

Of course the internet tells you that you do.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Springs, valves and fluid is custom suspension. ...set up, at least. Not nearly as cool as what the ducati has, but if it's been set up for the specific rider, will outperform what Ducati has. Especopially the electronic stuff. You cant electronically control a spring, so they have to try and do that with damping. It's better than nothing, but isnt in the same league as well set up, stock suspension that the suzuki has, no matter its price. The video proves it. Well set up cheap beats poorly set up, but expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts