Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Four friends and I took advantage of the reduction in our Covid restrictions for a 2 Day Quickie ride up to Gunnedah, which is a country town north-west of Sydney. The weather was clear and dry, but the day-time temperatures were on the cool side (4*C ~ 14*C)

All up, we did just over 1000 km and the N1K performed perfectly. The combination of Murphs Risers & Oxford Heated Grips made for an easy ride.

Here is link to the Bubbler track. Select "Hybrid" and use the +/- buttons to zoom in & out. https://tinyurl.com/Gunnedah-2-Day-Quickie

There is an old Australian saying, dating back to the early 1800s, that if something "is beyond the black stump", it means that it is a long distance away. Well, here is my N1K at the Black Stump.

The tail bag is a Gears Navigator, which is made in Canada. This is the second one I've owned over 10 years, and they are perfect for multi-day trips. It is a "universal" fit, so it takes a little while to work out how to strap it to the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
What was everyone else riding?
How do you feel the N1K stacked up to them?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A mixed bag of bikes, with no "Touring Sportsbike" besides my N1K.

1 x BMW 1200GS, 1 x Yamaha XJR1300, 1 x Triumph Tiger1200 & 1 x Suzuki V-Strom 650.

I like the retro look of the XJR1300, but performance-wise, the 1200GS was probably the closest. Light-weight, good power & excellent suspension & brakes.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The thing is there are "Dedicated Tourers" like the Goldwing, the Concours1400, the FJR1300 & BMW K1600GT, and then there are the "Adventure Tourers" like the BMW 1200GS, the Honda Africa Twin, the Suzuki V-Strom 1000, the Triumph Tiger1200 & the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

The "Sports Tourer" class is a dieing breed. What else is there besides the N1K??

I came close to buying a Versys1000 instead of the N1K, but the seat height, and my preference for a "Sports Bike" swayed me otherwise.

·
Registered
10,891 Posts
Murph, what sort of temperatures do you have on a ride like that, this time of year? I didnt remember your being in Australia. I was thinking, "My god, he must be dying at these temps." Its not summer, is it?

That looks like an amazing route. What sort of wildlife do you see as you work your way out of Sydney? You see Kangaroo's like we see deer, I suspect?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Post up more pics if you have them. Not all of us have been to your neck of the woods... not yet anyway. :)

More so the bikes... how do the others in your group ride? I find that has far more influence on how enjoyable the group rides together.

Reactions: Night Train

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Murph, what sort of temperatures do you have on a ride like that, this time of year? I didnt remember your being in Australia. I was thinking, "My god, he must be dying at these temps." Its not summer, is it?

That looks like an amazing route. What sort of wildlife do you see as you work your way out of Sydney? You see Kangaroo's like we see deer, I suspect?
July is the middle of our Winter, and we'll soon be heading into our Spring, which is the best season to ride in.

Just now, in the areas I typically ride, the daytime temperature is around 55*F~65*F, with overnight temps dropping down to 30*F~35*F. My Summers are in the range 85*F~100*F, although it gets a lot hotter as you head furtehr west into the desert regions.

With temperatures like these, I get to ride all year around, with the exception of January & early February as I find it too hot for ATGATT.

Most of the road-kill you see are kangaroos & wombats (like a badger). You don't see many 'roos during the day but at dawn & dusk, they become very active, so I try to plan my rides so as to be off the roads at these times.

Besides, 5:00pm is "beer o'clock".

The animals you are likely to encounter during the day are cattle & sheep as the farmers are allowed to graze their herds along the road-side edge in the country areas.

Cattle are usually OK. They just stand there and watch you as you slowly ride past them, but you need to be careful you don't get between a cow & her calf.

You also have to watch out for all their sh*t on the road as it is as slippery as oil, and the smell of frying cowsh*t on a hot exhaust pipe lasts for hours.

It also helps to not have any Harleys in the group with their "Screaming Eagle" pipes as the loud noise will spook the cattle. (don't ask how I know).

Now sheep on the other hand, are stupid and unpredictable and they will run/jump in front of you without warning. A typical flock of sheep will be 500 animals, so it can take some time to work your way through the flock.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Post up more pics if you have them. Not all of us have been to your neck of the woods... not yet anyway.
I don't have any other photos of my N1K trips, but here is a link to a Google Photos Album with some photos of previous rides to give you an idea of the countryside that I enjoy.

Ride Photos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you done a great ride that incorporates the Oxley hwy, waterfall way & Gwydir hwy before ? Love that area for a 3-4 day getaway from Sydney.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you done a great ride that incorporates the Oxley Hwy, Waterfall Way & Gwydir Hwy before ?
Yes, I have. One time I rode back from a holiday in Noosa to Sydney.

Noosa to Grafton via Woodenbong, then up the Gwydir Hwy to Glen Innes, down Waterfall Way to Urunga & up the Oxley Hwy to Walcha & down Thunderbolts Way to Gloucester, and home via Dungog.

When I do the Oxley, I always plan to ride up it, rather than down it. So much more fun that way.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I keep dreaming of a nice 4 or 5 day "Longie" ride, like I used to enjoy, but becaue of all the covid restrictions, the best I can do now is organise is a 2 day "Quickie".

Still there are plenty of enjoyable rides around Sydney. Bylong Way, Tablelands Way, Thunderbolts Way, Hill End Loop, Kangaroo Valley, Crookwell to Boorowa, Nerriga to Goulburn, Wyangalla Dam Loop, and so on.

I try an avoid the Putty Rd, Old Pac Hwy & Nasho. Too many police & too many "boy racers".

Fingers crossed that I can get back to the Snowy Mountains in October or November. The run from Tumut to Cabramurra to either Paddy's River or Khancoban is a favourite.

·
Registered
2012 Ninja Z1000SX (Green)
13 Posts
I keep dreaming of a nice 4 or 5 day "Longie" ride, like I used to enjoy, but becaue of all the covid restrictions, the best I can do now is organise is a 2 day "Quickie".

Still there are plenty of enjoyable rides around Sydney. Bylong Way, Tablelands Way, Thunderbolts Way, Hill End Loop, Kangaroo Valley, Crookwell to Boorowa, Nerriga to Goulburn, Wyangalla Dam Loop, and so on.

I try an avoid the Putty Rd, Old Pac Hwy & Nasho. Too many police & too many "boy racers".

Fingers crossed that I can get back to the Snowy Mountains in October or November. The run from Tumut to Cabramurra to either Paddy's River or Khancoban is a favourite.
Putty etc are usually empty of police and the racers (car, bike and bicycle) in the weekdays (usually the only days I manage a ride). Hope VIC gets their COVID sorted so a run to Khancoban or something is feasible when it warms up a little.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Spot on again with those rides Murphy (y) Best riding around the Snowy mountains area. A good ride from Cabramurra to the Snowy mountains hwy & then a higher speed run down to Adaminaby on that great stretch of the SMH.
Also added in a nice ride when i was down there last year from Tumut to Tumbarumba, (into VIC) Jinjellic,Tallangatta, Mitta Mitta,Omeo, Mt Hotham, Harrietville, Mt beauty, Falls creek.
Damn you for bringing this up :) as i don't even have a bloody bike at the moment, and would love to get out for a ride now :giggle:

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Spot on again with those rides Murphy (y) Best riding around the Snowy mountains area. A good ride from Cabramurra to the Snowy mountains hwy & then a higher speed run down to Adaminaby on that great stretch of the SMH.
Also added in a nice ride when i was down there last year from Tumut to Tumbarumba, (into VIC) Jinjellic,Tallangatta, Mitta Mitta,Omeo, Mt Hotham, Harrietville, Mt beauty, Falls creek.

Damn you for bringing this up :) as i don't even have a bloody bike at the moment, and would love to get out for a ride now :giggle:
Yes, I've done the Tallangatta, Mitta Mitta, Omeo, Mt Hotham, Falls Creek loop (both directions) a few time now. Its a great ride. Last time I did it, the mid-day temp was around 40*C and I just about died from heat-stress.

Most years, a few friends and I make a trip down to either Tallangatta or Myrtleford and enjoy the roads around those areas for a few days.

The ride from Omeo to Bruthen is also a favourite, but one of the best rides is from Mansfield to Jamieson, then around the bottom of Lake Eildon to Bruxton, Marysville & Healsville.

Don't worry about not being able to ride just now. I do have a bike and I can't ride much either. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I've done the Tallangatta, Mitta Mitta, Omeo, Mt Hotham, Falls Creek loop (both directions) a few time now. Its a great ride. Last time I did it, the mid-day temp was around 40*C and I just about died from heat-stress.

Most years, a few friends and I make a trip down to either Tallangatta or Myrtleford and enjoy the roads around those areas for a few days.

The ride from Omeo to Bruthen is also a favourite, but one of the best rides is from Mansfield to Jamieson, then around the bottom of Lake Eildon to Bruxton, Marysville & Healsville.

Don't worry about not being able to ride just now. I do have a bike and I can't ride much either. :(
I also done the run from Bruthen to Omeo when i was down there in December doing that area. Ended up doing just over 2100 kms in the 4 days. The bad part was, it was during the bush fires & heat wave, so its was stinking hot & smokey for most of the trip. The last day heading home, hit 47 degrees C (116 F). Boy, i was glad to get home.

Is your fav ride from Mansfield to Healsville all sealed roads ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
<< snip >>
Is your fav ride from Mansfield to Healsville all sealed roads ?
Cheers.
Yes, it is sealed all the way.

The section from Mansfield to Jamieson is fully sealed, as is the section from Eildon to Healsville.

The section around the bottom of Lake Eildon, called the Eildon-Jamieson Road, does not have a StreetView in Google Maps, but it is fully sealed and it is fantastic.

The turn-off is about 2 kms before the Jamieson township (on the Mansfield side) but make sure you have a beer / lunch at the Courthouse Hotel in Jamieson.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts