Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
For me, a Superbike is comfortable on a road with constant corners, where you are constantly changing riding position. Droning on the freeway is for a cruiser.
Or for getting from Seattle to Hollister, CA in a day. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. OK I almost never plan on freeway riding but if it comes up it's nice to know you can do it without crippling yourself. And the Ninja does both pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I agree, and lightweight, for the street, is not always awesome . In fact, its rarely a nice thing to have. We get wind where I live and the larger, heavy, fat *** bike is much nicer in that.
Your wind story hits close to home. Coming down into Waterton parks (Glacier) with my buddy several years ago we encountered a 60+ mph wind. I physically could not keep my VFR in one lane. It was gusty and swirly and I was riding the centerline of the 2 lane road praying for no oncoming. My Concours mounted buddy, OTOH claimed to be having FUN. I could see his bike move a foot one direction or the other which helped me prepare for what was coming. One scary trip but the only one in my riding career that I've had a wind issue.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
397 Posts
For me, a Superbike is comfortable on a road with constant corners, where you are constantly changing riding position. Droning on the freeway is for a cruiser.
The ZX10R did feel comfortable when I hit this twisty road in my area today. Feels great sitting high in 3rd gear ripping by cow pastures.

I don't know how squids ride these bikes with no helmet. The exhaust is absolutely deafening...and I thought the 95 dB Akra system was loud...

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Kenors, this isnt something I was ok with. I remember being on the motocross track. Sometimes you could jump high enough to where the wind altered your course. This sounds like high skill stuff, but when you have 12 inches of suspension travel, it's not anything a beginner couldnt do.

This wind....I'm riding and I made a lane change. Right NOW. I think the ninja is more susceptible to this with its modded, light flywheel? This was the first windy day I've tried this light flywheel.

Energy drink, that's one part I riding that I love. The smells. My favorite is riding past a donut shop. Or, the temp changes. It can be 100 degrees, but if you drive past a wet, open field, the chill from it is amazing.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The ZX10R did feel comfortable when I hit this twisty road in my area today. Feels great sitting high in 3rd gear ripping by cow pastures.

I don't know how squids ride these bikes with no helmet. The exhaust is absolutely deafening...and I thought the 95 dB Akra system was loud...
It's why I won't run Graves or D&D. They are loud, just because they can. I hate that crap. I pulled the D&D can from my Harley and modded a ZX14R Muzzy can to fit. It's quieter, and I'm happy, even if I lost a couple hp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Coming down into Waterton parks (Glacier) with my buddy several years ago we encountered a 60+ mph wind. I physically could not keep my VFR in one lane
i accidently rode my valkyrie through a tornado. to be honest i hardly noticed. i guess when your bike weighs half a ton and doesn't have big fairings to catch the wind, it doesn't move a whole lot.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Skant, I'm sorry, but you cant post that and not tell the complete story. That's insane. Alcohol involved? A dare? I suppose the bike would be excellent for that type of riding? Then again, I dont know very many (anyone?) who could have a conversation about that subject. Just you.

That Valkyrie probably is the perfect Tornady bike. Kind of a cruiser , but with a Goldwing motor . That big, heavy flat six sits about 2 inches off the ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No story really. i take that bike on cross country trips. on one of them, i hadn't been checking the weather and was just enjoying the ride. noticed the roads were pretty empty that day and stuff was blowing across the road and sorta dark. i was just hoping it didn't start raining. got to the hotel that night and turned on the news to find it was an F1 tornado. nothing world ending but interesting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coming from a GSXR-1000 to the 1000SX, I am in heaven. The 1000SX is much more comfortable, has great power, the suspension can be adjusted to suit your riding style, lower center of gravity, and, I'm not slumped over the tank all of the time. More gucci electronics that work, and the cruise control is nice too. I immediately gained confidence in the 1000SX in the North Carolina twisties, now I just need to settle down before I get carried away. Heading to the dragon next week.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
And I'm a guy with just the Ninja that I hope to ride a lot more years and miles before I go to Heaven!
(unless it wears out and I get something else)

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
I watched mine close, today. With the stock 15 front and a 42 rear (+1), my vibration level is excellent right up to 6000 rpm. The HVMP bar ends are almost perfect up to 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What do you guys ride more, the Ninja 1000 or your superbike? I think once I have the ZX10R for a few months I'll just ride it once a week, can't be risking my license every time I ride lol

61 - 80 of 80 Posts