Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I loved my K1300S. I wish I never sold it. Second fastest bike I ever owned and lots of bells and whistles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been looking at K1200S's as they are dumb cheap but it makes me think they must need a $1500 service or something. I'm seriously in the market now that we've sold our 2nd travel trailer. It looks like Suzuki dropped $1000 of the rebate on GSX-1000's, so they may be out if that's true. I go back and forth between a leftover N1K (2019), 2019 Z900RS Cafe, a used K1200S, and the GSX-1000F. My insurance would be $50 ish on all the new bikes I've called on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but, the last K1200S was sold in 2008. That's an old bike. Over 13 years old is old for a BMW that requires you maintain it regularly. I honestly doubt it would be easy to find parts for it, the way BMW drops models and replaces them with totally new ones all the time.

I good friend of mine had a 2008 K1200S in black and yellow. He let me ride it. Definitely very sophisticated bike, smooth, big, and heavy. Like a Hayabusa, but softer. I remember it had a snatchy FI. I believe these bikes had multiple software updates to correct that.

P9220086 by rogue_biker, on Flickr

Anyway, I'm quite sure the Ninja 1000 and the GSX-S1000f will easily outhandle the K12S. They're lighter, with a more modern chassis that has a shorter wheelbase. Better braking too. Way more up to date, and I'll bet my money on Kawasaki/Suzuki reliability over BMW.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Point well taken. I'll stick with the Japanese bikes. There's reason those BMW's are so cheap. Nothing on them isn't cheap. Just like the Land Rovers where I work as a service advisor.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've considered K1200S but IMO K1300S is a better buy. If for no other reason than that quirky old BMW turn signal scheme. Right now, you can find K1300S's below $10k with reasonable miles. I came close to pulling the trigger a couple of times on K1300S but ultimately went with VFR1200F, mostly because I prefer the V4. Very close in mission statement though. Unfortunately, they (and the ZX14R) are all getting long in the tooth and don't benefit from the latest electronics. Not a deal breaker but something to consider. Hopefully Suzuki reviving the Busa will jolt the hyper sporty bike category back alive, before they flat line completely. I watched a few 2021 Busa reviews on YT and the configurability of the electronic aides is quite impressive - Aprilia/Ducati level impressive. Not that I'm interested in the new Busa, but a revised GSX-S1000F with the same treatment would climb to the top of my chart in a big hurry.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Volfy, the new Busa is nice, but you saw how much its price increased. Its something close to +3500. Is it still as appealing when its not cheap?

I'm not saying it's not worth it, maybe, 2021 zx14 doesnt have cornering abs, but sells for 15,199. The new Busa is 18, 600...ish. That 3500 difference would buy a ful Akra exhaust and whatever suspension pieces a person wanted.

The report said this new bike will be priced below the Katana. If so, I'm sure we will see amazing changes like "dual density handgrips" and a black exhaust shield instead of silver. Bog stuff, like that. Cornering abs and updated emissions would be my guess.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wouldn't get a Busa just because of the people that ride them. In Florida it's usually Hispanics that ride them, and they put a giant swingarm and chrome on it. Some of them look like they're in gangs. Most of the ZX14R guys seem pretty normal, just rich older guys. Imo Volfy reading your posts you should get a superbike. Dont waste your time with a Gixxus if you have the N1K.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I wouldn't get a Busa just because of the people that ride them. In Florida it's usually Hispanics that ride them, and they put a giant swingarm and chrome on it. Some of them look like they're in gangs. Most of the ZX14R guys seem pretty normal, just rich older guys. Imo Volfy reading your posts you should get a superbike. Dont waste your time with a Gixxus if you have the N1K.
Since Volfy is a local here, I'll offer a test ride on my GSXR1000. It will create new problems.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The price jump is substantial for sure, but not at all unreasonable compared to the H2 series. The H2 SX base model (now discontinued) MSRP'ed for about that much, IIRC. The up-spec'ed SE $22k+. Even the de-contented Z H2 is no less expensive. I think it's more a testament to how much of a screaming bargain the ZX14R currently is. I've seen them advertised for less than $13k brand new. The R&D cost for the last Busa has been amortized over 15yrs now... 22 if you count the 1st gen. Not surprising they can both sell these old dogs for cheap.

Updates like what the Busa got are very substantial. I don't doubt Suzi will sell a boat load of them to fans that have been screaming for an update for eons. Not for me though. All I would use it for is as a sport tourer. No doubt it'll do a fine job at that, but that's like showing up at a 300yd PRS match with a .408 CheyTac.

GSX-S1000F is much more my speed. I would expect the line to get similar treatment - IMU, TBW, CC, electronic suite (forgot what Suzi calls it), TFT dash, lighting and a major restyle. The looks and the suspension are two biggest complaints I read about. I actually don't mind the styling on the F, but I do hope they address the suspension. That to me is the most important bit. My guess is Suzi will hold the line on pricing. Ninja 1000SX only went up $200. This is a lot more competitive segment than halo bikes like the Busa. I might end up scooping up an old one on clearance, same as how I bought the '18 N1k for cheap after 2020 came out.

Since Volfy is a local here, I'll offer a test ride on my GSXR1000. It will create new problems.
LOL... that's all I need. More incentive to spend money swapping yet another bike. You're not helping there, bud.

Kidding aside, I would love to see it in person, though. That is some cool mod work you've done.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The price jump is substantial for sure, but not at all unreasonable compared to the H2 series. The H2 SX base model (now discontinued) MSRP'ed for about that much, IIRC. The up-spec'ed SE $22k+. Even the de-contented Z H2 is no less expensive. I think it's more a testament to how much of a screaming bargain the ZX14R currently is. I've seen them advertised for less than $13k brand new. The R&D cost for the last Busa has been amortized over 15yrs now... 22 if you count the 1st gen. Not surprising they can both sell these old dogs for cheap.

Updates like what the Busa got are very substantial. I don't doubt Suzi will sell a boat load of them to fans that have been screaming for an update for eons. Not for me though. All I would use it for is as a sport tourer. No doubt it'll do a fine job at that, but that's like showing up at a 300yd PRS match with a .408 CheyTac.

GSX-S1000F is much more my speed. I would expect the line to get similar treatment - IMU, TBW, CC, electronic suite (forgot what Suzi calls it), TFT dash, lighting and a major restyle. The looks and the suspension are two biggest complaints I read about. I actually don't mind the styling on the F, but I do hope they address the suspension. That to me is the most important bit. My guess is Suzi will hold the line on pricing. Ninja 1000SX only went up $200. This is a lot more competitive segment than halo bikes like the Busa. I might end up scooping up an old one on clearance, same as how I bought the '18 N1k for cheap after 2020 came out.

LOL... that's all I need. More incentive to spend money swapping yet another bike. You're not helping there, bud.

Kidding aside, I would love to see it in person, though. That is some cool mod work you've done.
Get the Tuono. 2017 looks the best.

One thing I've noticed, is out of all the squid videos I've seen, probably at least half of them are either in Texas or Florida. Join us, Volfy...get a liter bike or a Busa/ZX14R.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Get the Tuono. 2017 looks the best.

One thing I've noticed, is out of all the squid videos I've seen, probably at least half of them are either in Texas or Florida. Join us, Volfy...get a liter bike or a Busa/ZX14R.
If ape would revise a Futura with that glorious narrow angle V4, I'd jump on that in a New York minute. As is though, neither Tuono or RSV4 is practical enough to be an everyday bike for me. I gave up on a beautiful RSV1000R Factory Red Lion because it just wan't a bike I could ride day in day out. Not any more anyway.

I'm not ruling out getting back into a ZX14R, but insurance is a deal killer. I've read that State Farm, for one, has good rates on it, but I quit SF some 10 yrs ago for a reason. I just much prefer having a direct online interface, rather than having to deal with in-person agents. I have policies with both Progressive and Geico and I like being able to check insurance quotes and play with different deductibles on 16 different bikes 2AM in the morning. Don't think my friendly neighborhood SF agent will stay friendly for long if I pester them like that. Plus my SF agent used to play games with my motorcycle policy. On my insurance card, the Aprilia RSV1000R was listed as some Aprilia scooter, IIRC. I asked the agent about that, and he just said don't worry about it, the VIN number is correct, so I was good. I was frankly surprised how low my premium was at the time, for the litersports I had back then. But I just got an iffey feeling about it all. Plus SF was raking me over the coal on homeowners insurance, right after hurricane Ike, even though I never filed a claim, ever. After I switched, my motorcycle policies went up a bit, but the savings on HO policy more than offset it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Tons of squids in California too. Gangsta squids too.

But for the most part, they stay in urban areas. I've seen a few of them in the canyons once in a while and they get whipped there because most times they can't ride in the corners worth $hit. Slow and won't pull over either. So they get slaughtered by the Ricky Racers. Also, they don't wander too far from home. Actually, come to think of it, most riders don't wander too far from what they know. The Harley guys, Full dress tourers, and adventure bikes are the ones who go far into the wilderness.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A comfortable superbike that I can ride every day and my working class self won't get raked over on maintenance and insurance...my dream woman is more easier to find

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
"Comfortable and superbike" are really two things that dont fit together. It's like asking for a lightweight dirt bike that's awesome for long distance touring.

I got hit with a 70mph wind gust, yesterday, and it blew the ninja into the oposite lane. I was kicking my own *** for not being on the concours.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
I agree, and lightweight, for the street, is not always awesome . In fact, its rarely a nice thing to have. We get wind where I live and the larger, heavy, fat *** bike is much nicer in that.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts