Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
The new Katana has a range of about 100-120 miles to reserve according to testers. I'm sure it was a styling choice because a big tank would just look ridiculous. Plus, if you're going to ride long distance, you're better off with the GSXS1000F model with its very effective full fairing. I remember that bike's fairing was really good at highway speeds. Almost equivalent to the Ninja's with the Ninja windshield in the middle position. The Ninja's windshield in the highest position is still better but noisy.

The original had much graceful proportions. The newer bike needs a longer tail and a taller front fairing. Looks out of proportion...like a Buell.

Buell 1125R

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don’t buy into the notion that I bought the wrong type of bike if I wanted more range. I do a lot of riding where I can easily go 50+ miles without seeing a gas station. I don’t want to have to stop at half a tank just in case.

My 2018 CBR1000rr easily averages 45 MPG, and on a couple of rides this past week I got about 47. That is a bike that stock was putting out 150 at the rear wheel, and it’s now tuned to close to 170 at the wheel, and it still gets the same gas mileage. It has a 4.3 gallon tank and I can squeeze 4.4 in it. So even if I only want go to about 3.5 gallons I’m at around 160 mile range with .8 gallons of reserve.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
67 Posts
I've been doubting the accuracy of the 21's fuel average fuel used indication for a long while. It's always seems to be 4.8L/100km. Reset, comes back to that figure, the instant one goes up and down as expected. I did a 203 km today, mostly flat around 100KPH and crossed over a mountain range at 700 m in height. The tank was filled to the brim (not overfilled) prior and refilled at the servo when back home.
It worked out to 5.2L/100km. So that average of 4.8 is a rolling figure across many refills. My GSX-S1000's all gave around 48 to 4.9 as well.

Katana is basically the same as the GSXS1000, but it has some more electronics and has Brembo brakes.
Well just to clarity it a bit more, both the Kat and the GSX-S have Brembo callipers fitted with Suzuki OEM brake pads.
I remember that bike's fairing was really good at highway speeds. Almost equivalent to the Ninja's with the Ninja windshield in the middle position. The Ninja's windshield in the highest position is still better but noisy.
I find with my 21 N1K model, the windscreen is very different in shape to the earlier models. It is best in the lowest position. Combined with the fairing, it's a very cosy bubble of calmed air flow.

Rob.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently looked at a black GSX-S1000F (a new 2020) and was priced at $10k out the door. I really can't stand the looks of the front nose and headlights, but the rest of the bike is fine. I also saw a leftover 2019 Ninja 1000 for $9999 plus fees. I know my wife won't ride either one since she was spoiled when I had Goldwings, so the passenger seat makes no difference to me. I want to ride to the NC mountains about 3 hours away, then ride a while and either come back or stay in a hotel. I had one naked bike, a 2018 Z900RS and couldn't stand riding it over 70mph for any amount of time. I also really like the ZX-14R (with risers and rearsets that drop) and the MT-10 with touring shield and softbags added. It's such a tough call, but the ZX14R, MT-10, and new Ninja 1000 are all just over $12,000. The MT and N1K are the only ones with cruise. The MT-10 negatives to me are it being a wheelie king and terrible MPGs. Or I can get a 1100 mile 2012 N1K for $5500. I really don't care about rider aids like power levels, I use my wrist accordingly. Wind protection does mean a lot to me though. Seems I keep reading on many different forums that OEM rear shocks on most bikes are garbage, but I'm not a 8-10/10ths rider either. I will say a GSX-S forum member commented on my post about considering one (I believe) and said he recently bought a Ninja 1000SX and considered it to be the "magic carpet ride" of motorcycles for the money. Said the suspension was spot on, unlike the Suzuki. I did read quite a few say the paint was thin now that ya'll mention it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a 2016 GSX-S1000F that I put over 50,000 kms on. It's been a great bike but I am thinking of trading it in for the Ninja 1000 mainly to get the integrated side cases. There is no such option for the GSXS, you either have to use soft luggage or there are aftermarket racks but these permanently attach to the bike and look horrible when the cases are off, plus add weight. I really like the ninja's side cases that attach without needing racks and leave a clean look when detached.

Other than that, I think the ninja is more comfortable. I haven't ridden it, this is just based on how it looks. The riding position looks the same, but your knees are more bent on the gsxs. The seat also look more comfortable on the ninja, but again this is just based on looks. The gsxs is slightly lighter and faster, but the difference isn't huge and the ninja should still feel very sporty according to all the reviews I've seen. Many people complain about the gsxs's snatchy throttle but personally I don't mind it, and I think this problem was fixed on later years anyways. The ninja should also have far better electronics with leaning abs, bluetooth, etc. The gsxs has abs and traction control but that's it. No quickshifter either.

Now my problem seems to be the high prices all the dealers here in ontario want for a new ninja 1000. Looks like it's $15,000 for a new one, that's before tax/freight and without the side cases, which seem pretty expensive on their own. And the bike seems fairly rare (dealers don't usually keep them in stock, they just order one from kawasaki when someone wants one) so there's not much room for negotiation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My son and I have both bikes. My son has the 2016 model of the GSX-S 1000S and I have the 2020 N1k-SX. When both bikes are stock, the Ninja is clearly faster than the Zuk in all gears, but we have never explored the top end (over 130mph) and both have roughly 140hp. Stats say the Zuk has more there, but I don't know. The S1000 has a new gel seat from Aztec seats, a Dano flash, Full CS racing exhaust, quick shifter, slightly larger windscreen. Mine is still stock until the warranty expires. The mpg is approximately 41 for the Zuk and 44 for the N1k. Little more weight on the N1k, but a lot more features. Cornering and handling are both great and we both take the chicken strips all the way to the edge of the tire. My son just got the Dano flash for Christmas and we have not had a chance to do a side by side in all the gears yet. I am excited to see so playtime is coming. Both bikes are very comfortable and have a slightly upright positioning, N1k might sit very slightly more upright. We have taken 400 plus mile rides. Stock seat on the N1k, and the gel seat on the Zuk. Personal preference, I like mine better and my son likes his better.

With all of that info, I will say that the N1k - SX is one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden. In my group there are Harleys, Yam FZ1's, more Kawi's and more Zuks and I have ridden them all. I used to ride a Kawasaki Concours. I thought it was the smoothest thing I have ever ridden until the SX (shaft drive on the Connie and chain on the SX). I love this bike so much and am so glad I bought it. Right out of the box it needs nothing for fast riding or smooth touring. You will also get a kick out of some of the features, like the lean angle indicators. That one makes for interesting conversations such as I can lean 53 degrees to the right but only 48 degrees to the left. No idea why but it is fun to watch and talk about. Quick shifter is so incredibly smooth, so is the throttle and the cruise control. The N1k is more money than the Zuk, but sooooooo worth it in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This GSX-S1000F keeps coming up on my radar. N1k is an excellent sporty tourer, no doubt, but with the K16GT as a stablemate, the chances of me using the N1k to pull touring duty is not all that great. I've ridden it for over a year and have not once needed to add panniers. Top box alone offers plenty storage for around town and even long day rides. What I do miss, however, is a bonafide sportbike engine, which the 1043cc never was and never meant to be. While it does have a fair amount of top end extension, the inline4 buzz gets so bad I really don't feel like poking the angry bees just to taste the honey.

VFR1200F, which the N1k replaced, might be a bucking bronco at parking lot speeds, but out in the open, the top end of that V4 was an absolute joy to explore. Having ridden the K5 mill, I'm with the camp that say it's one of the best sportbike engines ever created. I miss that.

I suppose I could just get a dedicated litresport instead to scratch that itch, but it would have to be a fourth road bike, and I'm not liking that idea. This GSX-S1000S makes me think I might be able to have the cake and eat it too. The hohum suspension bits can be sorted out easily enough.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
18 Posts
This GSX-S1000F keeps coming up on my radar. N1k is an excellent sporty tourer, no doubt, but with the K16GT as a stablemate, the chances of me using the N1k to pull touring duty is not all that great. I've ridden it for over a year and have not once needed to add panniers. Top box alone offers plenty storage for around town and even long day rides. What I do miss, however, is a bonafide sportbike engine, which the 1043cc never was and never meant to be. While it does have a fair amount of top end extension, the inline4 buzz gets so bad I really don't feel like poking the angry bees just to taste the honey.

VFR1200F, which the N1k replaced, might be a bucking bronco at parking lot speeds, but out in the open, the top end of that V4 was an absolute joy to explore. Having ridden the K5 mill, I'm with the camp that say it's one of the best sportbike engines ever created. I miss that.

I suppose I could just get a dedicated litresport instead to scratch that itch, but it would have to be a fourth road bike, and I'm not liking that idea. This GSX-S1000S makes me think I might be able to have the cake and eat it too. The hohum suspension bits can be sorted out easily enough.

Hmmm...
Buzz - Can't argue that one except Kawi did a really good job at evening it out at cruising speeds. Anything less than 85mph, smooth as silk. Anything over is certainly super buzzy.
Panniers - When I had a Concours I did not like the top case because the bike itself was top heavy and really got used to the side bags. Carried that to the N1kSX and love the flexibility of on/off and the lower center of gravity. Preference I suppose.
Stablemate - My opinion is the N1k is not a stablemate to the K16GT beemer. That would be the Kawi Concours, Yam FJ and the like.

I have no experience with the VFR1200, but I do with the VFR800. Super comfy, real nice but, just under powered.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Buzz - Can't argue that one except Kawi did a really good job at evening it out at cruising speeds. Anything less than 85mph, smooth as silk. Anything over is certainly super buzzy.
Panniers - When I had a Concours I did not like the top case because the bike itself was top heavy and really got used to the side bags. Carried that to the N1kSX and love the flexibility of on/off and the lower center of gravity. Preference I suppose.
Stablemate - My opinion is the N1k is not a stablemate to the K16GT beemer. That would be the Kawi Concours, Yam FJ and the like.

I have no experience with the VFR1200, but I do with the VFR800. Super comfy, real nice but, just under powered.
A bit of clarification is in order... Ever since I got back to riding back in 2009 or so, I've run multiple bikes, of various mixes. I started out with a couple of litersports, and quickly found out my 15yrs hiatus had not been kind to me. So... I gravitated towards more relaxed sporty bikes, FZ1, SV1000S, Speed Triple R, etc. I also got into sport tourers in a big way, so much so, that after a while, those were pretty much all I want to road ride (with a dedicated track bunny on the side). I tried keeping 2 fairly similar sport tourers, but found out I'd invariably favor one and ride it much more often. The other one just becomes the "back-up" bike, which gets to be a bit of a waste. I finally settled on a pair of sport tourers that are each optimized for one end of the sport touring spectrum - a SPORT tourer and a sport TOURER.

My current set is N1k + K16GT. Before that, VFR1200F + Trophy SE. Before that, Sprint GT + C14. Pairings like that complemented each other well and offer a wide palette of character and capabilities. Switching between the two kept my riding palate quite satisfied. Yet, there is enough overlap, that I could still tour on the sporty one, and sport on the touring one.

I suppose my gripe with the N1k now, ironically, is that it is too good at being an all-arounder. I'm perhaps looking for something that tilts heavier on the sport side. Truth be told, what I really want is a revamped Aprilia Futura with 1100 RSV4 engine. Or, a Yamaha FJ with the R1 crossplane I4. I highly doubt either will grace dealer showrooms any time soon. The GSX-S1000F with the K5 engine seems like the next best choice.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This GSX-S1000F keeps coming up on my radar...This GSX-S1000S makes me think I might be able to have the cake and eat it too. The hohum suspension bits can be sorted out easily enough.
At this point, the GSX1000f, the fully faired model, is well behind the development curve when compared to the N1k's electronic suite. Still a hoot to ride though.

If it were me, and I'm looking for a sporty, long distance capable ride, I would make a big departure and go with a liter-class Adventure Bike. My favorite is the VStrom 1000. Or the Africa Twin 1100. They're VERY capable for long distance. They're also quite fun on a twisty road. No heavier than the N1k. Tons of torque. EXTREMELY comfortable. Plus, you can explore areas you will never attempt on an N1k, or bigger sport tourer. Most importantly for me, it opens up avenues previously inaccessible on my street bikes. This allows me to go places I've never been to before.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I suppose my gripe with the N1k now, ironically, is that it is too good at being an all-arounder. I'm perhaps looking for something that tilts heavier on the sport side. Truth be told, what I really want is a revamped Aprilia Futura with 1100 RSV4 engine. Or, a Yamaha FJ with the R1 crossplane I4. I highly doubt either will grace dealer showrooms any time soon. The GSX-S1000F with the K5 engine seems like the next best choice.
Why not just trade all your bikes in for an H2 SX? Sounds like that would check off all the boxes ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
A bit of clarification is in order... Ever since I got back to riding back in 2009 or so, I've run multiple bikes, of various mixes. I started out with a couple of litersports, and quickly found out my 15yrs hiatus had not been kind to me. So... I gravitated towards more relaxed sporty bikes, FZ1, SV1000S, Speed Triple R, etc. I also got into sport tourers in a big way, so much so, that after a while, those were pretty much all I want to road ride (with a dedicated track bunny on the side). I tried keeping 2 fairly similar sport tourers, but found out I'd invariably favor one and ride it much more often. The other one just becomes the "back-up" bike, which gets to be a bit of a waste. I finally settled on a pair of sport tourers that are each optimized for one end of the sport touring spectrum - a SPORT tourer and a sport TOURER.

My current set is N1k + K16GT. Before that, VFR1200F + Trophy SE. Before that, Sprint GT + C14. Pairings like that complemented each other well and offer a wide palette of character and capabilities. Switching between the two kept my riding palate quite satisfied. Yet, there is enough overlap, that I could still tour on the sporty one, and sport on the touring one.

Pretty good all around experience and great input. My experience is riding all kinds, but owning mostly Kawi. Could make me biased. :) However of important note for anyone looking to a N1k-SX - it is a very different bike then the Z1000, or the previous version of the N1k that all have the 1043 engine. Valves are turned forward to reduce noise and the buzz is really reduced from the other models below 85mph plus the extra kick of features. I looked very hard at getting the Zuk 1000F, and the biggest reason was the panniers for me because I don't like the top case. My son loves his Zuk 1000S and and wished he would have gotten the 1000F instead but is happy staying where he is at the moment. He loves the K5 engine and is considering modifying the head and kick a bit more hp out of it. Certainly a favored engine by Zuk fans.

·
Registered
734 Posts
At this point, the GSX1000f, the fully faired model, is well behind the development curve when compared to the N1k's electronic suite. Still a hoot to ride though.

If it were me, and I'm looking for a sporty, long distance capable ride, I would make a big departure and go with a liter-class Adventure Bike. My favorite is the VStrom 1000. Or the Africa Twin 1100. They're VERY capable for long distance. They're also quite fun on a twisty road. No heavier than the N1k. Tons of torque. EXTREMELY comfortable. Plus, you can explore areas you will never attempt on an N1k, or bigger sport tourer. Most importantly for me, it opens up avenues previously inaccessible on my street bikes. This allows me to go places I've never been to before.
Having owned an SV1000S and loved that grunty V-twin (everything else in that package is sh**), I would love a sport tourer with the Vstrom motor. Problem is that I'm not fond of the sit-up-and-pray ADVs. No doubts lots of riders love them precisely because of the upright rider posture. I, for one, still prefer a moderate forward lean. I might not want the full 45deg tilt of the race raplicas, but an ST still needs at least 15-20deg to feel right in the slice and dice. At least to me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Why not just trade all your bikes in for an H2 SX? Sounds like that would check off all the boxes ;)
LOL... don't think that thought never crossed my mind. Unfortunately, it has the same problem as the ZX14R I had - insurance premium. I've check with several insurance carriers and they all rate the H2 SX like it was the Grim Reaper's own chariot. Even if I do find one that sell a policy at a somewhat reasonable price, there is no guarantee it won't pull the same stunt Progressive did to me a year after buying my ZX14R. Flo apparently changed her mind and added a couple more digits on my renewal invoice.

Originally, I had written off the GSX-S1000F, because I figured they'd all rate it like a GSXR1000. Shoot, they actually share parental DNA, whereas N1K and ZX10R are 3rd cousins twice removed. Much to my surprise, both Progressive and Geico are outright reasonable. Part of the reason could be that they depreciate fast. Earlier model year GSX-S1000F actually beat the R1200RS! Even the latest model years are lower than the N1k.

I won't say I've written off the H2 SX completely. It's just like how N1k was in earlier years. I kept checking insurance rates, and eventually N1k dropped into acceptable range, and I bought one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Volfy, I get it. Everyone's difference.

Back in 2017 I bought a dual sport motorcycle to "test the waters" and see what all these people are raving about. Once I started riding that bike, a light bulb went on. I get it now. Now I understand why folks are nuts over this genre. Although, I'm the first to admit, nothing beats a sport bike when it comes to canyon carving or just outright pavement performance. No ADV bike will compare.

FYI, the VStrom 1000 only has one thing in common with the SV, that's the basic motor. I would consider the VStrom 1000 the equivalent to the 2021 N1k in terms of up to date hardware & software. In the same vein as the Versys 1000 is. Loaded to the brim. Only thing missing is the electronically adjustable suspension.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Pretty good all around experience and great input. My experience is riding all kinds, but owning mostly Kawi. Could make me biased. :) However of important note for anyone looking to a N1k-SX - it is a very different bike then the Z1000, or the previous version of the N1k that all have the 1043 engine. Valves are turned forward to reduce noise and the buzz is really reduced from the other models below 85mph plus the extra kick of features. I looked very hard at getting the Zuk 1000F, and the biggest reason was the panniers for me because I don't like the top case. My son loves his Zuk 1000S and and wished he would have gotten the 1000F instead but is happy staying where he is at the moment. He loves the K5 engine and is considering modifying the head and kick a bit more hp out of it. Certainly a favored engine by Zuk fans.
My luggage preference is exactly the opposite. I ride 95+% of the time with top case only. I have 3 Givi's (V40, V47, V56) I can swap between bikes. They have been on more bikes than I can remember. Panniers are a lot less universal fit. I've got V35s that have been on a few bikes, but fitment is very limited. Kudos to Kawi for allowing the same 28L to go on several models. I wish more mfrs should follow suit.

Anyhow, I like top case cus it keep the bike narrow in traffic. There were a couple of instances where I came very close clipping another car (none of them my fault). If I had panniers on, I'm quite certain those might not have been just close calls. I also like that one top case is always lighter in weight than two panniers. For most everyday use, a single top case is more than enough storage capacity, and their top loading, to me, is far more convenient than side loading pannier. But, it is, of course a personal preference. There is really no right or wrong.

BTW, I love hearing about your son riding the Suzi with you on the Kawi. My oldest started riding road bike with me last year. He has been on the Street Triple 765R and he loves riding it. It's a perfect intro bike to road riding, and it is capable of doing some touring, especially after I added a small fairing to the handlebar. Still, we've been talking about taking some longer tours, maybe to Colorado, after this COVID madness subsides. I just don't think the ST765R would be the best choice. Judging by the fact that he has yet to ask if he can try the N1k, I'm thinking he's not too keen on it. This is yet another reason for contemplating the GSX-S1000F.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Volfy, I get it. Everyone's difference.

Back in 2017 I bought a dual sport motorcycle to "test the waters" and see what all these people are raving about. Once I started riding that bike, a light bulb went on. I get it now. Now I understand why folks are nuts over this genre. Although, I'm the first to admit, nothing beats a sport bike when it comes to canyon carving or just outright pavement performance. No ADV bike will compare.

FYI, the VStrom 1000 only has one thing in common with the SV, that's the basic motor. I would consider the VStrom 1000 the equivalent to the 2021 N1k in terms of up to date hardware & software. In the same vein as the Versys 1000 is. Loaded to the brim. Only thing missing is the electronically adjustable suspension.
I think if I were a more accomplished dirt rider, I'd probably like ADVs a lot more. I got into dirt riding a few years ago, as a way to ride with my oldest when he got big enough to ride a Kawi KLX140L. It was good fun off-road riding with him, but frankly, I suck at it. I could kick myself for not starting off road earlier, but it is what it is now. We've got our 250 trail bikes and I'm okay on those.

A guy has got to know his limitations. I know mine.:giggle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
LOL... don't think that thought never crossed my mind. Unfortunately, it has the same problem as the ZX14R I had - insurance premium. I've check with several insurance carriers and they all rate the H2 SX like it was the Grim Reaper's own chariot. Even if I do find one that sell a policy at a somewhat reasonable price, there is no guarantee it won't pull the same stunt Progressive did to me a year after buying my ZX14R. Flo apparently changed her mind and added a couple more digits on my renewal invoice.

Originally, I had written off the GSX-S1000F, because I figured they'd all rate it like a GSXR1000. Shoot, they actually share parental DNA, whereas N1K and ZX10R are 3rd cousins twice removed. Much to my surprise, both Progressive and Geico are outright reasonable. Part of the reason could be that they depreciate fast. Earlier model year GSX-S1000F actually beat the R1200RS! Even the latest model years are lower than the N1k.

I won't say I've written off the H2 SX completely. It's just like how N1k was in earlier years. I kept checking insurance rates, and eventually N1k dropped into acceptable range, and I bought one.
I absolutely considered this bike instead of buying the Ninja 1000SX. The only reason I did not go with the H2-SX-SE version, was the doggone insurance......

21 - 40 of 80 Posts