Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Suzi was on my short list and I almost bought one but decided on the N1K. Test rode it and did not like the abrupt on-off throttle response. Fit and finish was a little sub par if you ask me with very soft paint.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think the suzi is a lot lighter and faster. Just need Ivan to do a flash. Some of the older Suzi's he was getting 20hp gains. Again its naked vs full.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the suzi is a lot lighter and faster. Just need Ivan to do a flash. Some of the older Suzi's he was getting 20hp gains. Again its naked vs full.
also needs a comfortable seat and a fairing. Riding nakeds on the highway is not fun.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
67 Posts
As a prior Owner of a 2016 & 2019 GSX-S1000, just buy the Ninja 1000.
You then save yourself the flash, rear shock replacement, and the harsh front suspension rebuild expenses of the Suzuki.
The faired Ninja will do everything the faired GSX-S will do and mostly better it, and also has a far better windshield. But, I had the Naked, and I still like it all the same over the Z1000 front end looks.
I still wonder how Kawasaki made a such a comfortable 2 seater couch, ride like a performance motorcycle.

Rob.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The naked version is fine the way it is. The faired version is a big missed opportunity. They should have turned that into a purpose-built sport tourer. It wouldn't be that much work, either. Suzuki seems to be rather stingy with their R&D funds these days, but all it takes is lengthening the subframe to accommodate pannier and roomier seats, and maybe adding an adjustable windscreen. I'd even live without cruise control. Kawi sold a gazillion N1k's without it.

As they are right now... no, they are not equivalent to N1k.

Reactions: kenors

·
Registered
563 Posts
I test rode the 2018 GSXS1000f (faired model) versus the 2018 N1k. I liked the Suzuki better in terms of handling, power, and brakes. The Suzuki engine was kick-***. Just as torquey as the N1k, but with a much stronger top end, while being smoother. It also handled better because it was lighter. The brakes on the Suzuki also felt much more solid.

It's fatal flaw: ugly (to my eyes anyway). I just couldn't get around to liking it over the N1k. The N1k just looks beautiful. There was not a handsome angle to the Suzuki that I could stare at and learn to love. The difference in performance was noticeable, but luckily, not so big that I could walk away from beauty. Also, the N1k had the modern LED lights and adjustable windscreen. So it made my decision easier. If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose the N1k.

Anyway, Suzuki hasn't updated the GSXS line because they've been busy updating the 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I test rode the 2018 GSXS1000f (faired model) versus the 2018 N1k. I liked the Suzuki better in terms of handling, power, and brakes. The Suzuki engine was kick-***. Just as torquey as the N1k, but with a much stronger top end, while being smoother. It also handled better because it was lighter. The brakes on the Suzuki also felt much more solid.

It's fatal flaw: ugly (to my eyes anyway). I just couldn't get around to liking it over the N1k. The N1k just looks beautiful. There was not a handsome angle to the Suzuki that I could stare at and learn to love. The difference in performance was noticeable, but luckily, not so big that I could walk away from beauty. Also, the N1k had the modern LED lights and adjustable windscreen. So it made my decision easier. If I had to do it all over again, I would still choose the N1k.

Anyway, Suzuki hasn't updated the GSXS line because they've been busy updating the 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa.
Surprised Suzuki sees a market for the Hayabusa, especially with the insurance rates. Are they wanting to dethrone the H2 or ZX-14R?

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I decided to replace my 2012 N1K I actually like the Suz better. I like the additional performance, better handling and smoother engine. However, I couldn't get any dealer to give a decent discount. I ended up with another N1K because the Suz certainly isn't worth $2k more when it doesn't have a lot of the little touches the N1K has.

Seems unusual given all the talk about them not selling, but I shopped nationwide.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I see a bunch of lightly used GSXS1000s for sale for $10k or less. I just think the bike looks boring, and while it has more hp than the N1K thats about it. Id rather get the Katana over the GSXS. Katana is basically the same as the GSXS1000, but it has some more electronics and has Brembo brakes. No windscreen though which is dumb for a 140hp bike. All the budget went to designing the Katana instead of the Gixxus. Looks way better.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The GSXS1000 has Brembo brakes.

The Katana is the strangest looking bike I've seen. That rear "bumper" is hideous. They should have just given it the standard rear fender. Suzuki also needs to source better looking rearview mirrors. The best looking Suzuki the 2020 VStrom 1000. They got that design right. But the Katana...still rocking the GSXS's stubby exhaust without any design tweaks is just cheap. They should have just updated the GSXS1000 naked and F models.

Having said that, they knocked it out of the park with their new Hayabusa. Sleeker, more comfortable, more refined, and unmistakable for anything other than a Hayabusa. This bike will sell very well. I'd buy one if I could afford the insurance. I had a 2001 'Busa and loved that bike. I miss it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Surprised Suzuki sees a market for the Hayabusa, especially with the insurance rates. Are they wanting to dethrone the H2 or ZX-14R?
It might dethrone them in the 1/4 mile. Supposed to have more torque and is lighter.

The Hayabusa was Suzuki's best seller for 10 years straight. There was a period where they sold 10k units/year, year after year. That's a ton for a motorcycle. Nobody remembers the ZX11, nor the Blackbird, or even the ZX14R, but everyone remembers the Hayabusa. When I had mine, I would routinely have to beat back "Hayabusa Fans" at gas stations. I even had to run away from women chasing me down wanting to know if the bike was really that fast! LOL! That actually happened a few times. They'd pull up to me, roll down their windows and strike up a conversation about the bike. Rock would be proud. If I was Rock I'd probably get laid every night back then. :LOL: Guys of all ages would either bow down in respect, or hate me. Supercar drivers avoided me. Even the WRX guys would give me room. There was one guy on a Dodge Viper, remember those? He wasn't impressed. But after I smoked his ***, he was PISSED! His smoking hot trophy wife was laughing. The most fun bike I've ever owned for all the right and wrong reasons.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It might dethrone them in the 1/4 mile. Supposed to have more torque and is lighter.

The Hayabusa was Suzuki's best seller for 10 years straight. There was a period where they sold 10k units/year, year after year. That's a ton for a motorcycle. Nobody remembers the ZX11, nor the Blackbird, or even the ZX14R, but everyone remembers the Hayabusa. When I had mine, I would routinely have to beat back "Hayabusa Fans" at gas stations. I even had to run away from women chasing me down wanting to know if the bike was really that fast! LOL! That actually happened a few times. They'd pull up to me, roll down their windows and strike up a conversation about the bike. Rock would be proud. If I was Rock I'd probably get laid every night back then. :LOL: Guys of all ages would either bow down in respect, or hate me. Supercar drivers avoided me. Even the WRX guys would give me room. There was one guy on a Dodge Viper, remember those? He wasn't impressed. But after I smoked his ***, he was PISSED! His smoking hot trophy wife was laughing. The most fun bike I've ever owned for all the right and wrong reasons.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think horsepower and torque went down, because of Euro 5.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GSX S1000 rider here. Mine is the naked version and I'm lurking this forum precisely to consider the N1K SX as sport touring alternative. The Suzuki is a sportbike that has some street bike in it, while the Ninja the other way around. The Suzuki is 26 kg lighter and 10hp stronger and it shows, especially the weight. Top end is stronger as well, but you're not likely to take full advantage of that on the street.

On longer rides the smoother power delivery, comfort, wind protection and touring amenities give the Ninja the edge.

Price is also worth considering. Where I live, Hungary, the Suzuki costs about 70% of the Kawasaki. Big difference, and while the 2020-21 version of the Kawasaki has much better electronics and equipment I don't think that's 30% better bike.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I've avoided buying an older one because of no ABS.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The GSXS1000 has Brembo brakes.

The Katana is the strangest looking bike I've seen. That rear "bumper" is hideous. They should have just given it the standard rear fender. Suzuki also needs to source better looking rearview mirrors. The best looking Suzuki the 2020 VStrom 1000. They got that design right. But the Katana...still rocking the GSXS's stubby exhaust without any design tweaks is just cheap. They should have just updated the GSXS1000 naked and F models.

Having said that, they knocked it out of the park with their new Hayabusa. Sleeker, more comfortable, more refined, and unmistakable for anything other than a Hayabusa. This bike will sell very well. I'd buy one if I could afford the insurance. I had a 2001 'Busa and loved that bike. I miss it.
Can't believe the Katana has a 3.2 gallon gas tank. The 4 gallon on my Z1000 was kinda a pain.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts