Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I joined the site a while ago, when I was researching different bikes. I haven't posted until now because I wasn't sure what bike I wanted to get until recently. It seems like the Ninja 1000 is the way to go, so I figured I would introduce myself.

I started riding fairly recently, and am currently riding a Ninja 500 (my first bike). I went with the 500 over something like a Ninja 250 because I knew I would be doing a decent amount of highway riding, and apparently the 250 pushes pretty high rpms at that speed. The 500 seemed to be small enough to help me avoid getting in trouble, but large enough to be reasonable at highway speeds.

I'm happy with my choice for a first bike, but my dad has been planning a trip from California back to Indiana this September (on his Ducati Multistrada 1200 S), and I would really like to join him. So, I need to get a decent sports touring bike before then (and have enough time to get comfortable with it). After comparing bikes in the sports touring category, the Ninja 100 feels like the bike for me.

I was hoping to get a 2014 in green (the blue just doesn't look right to me for some reason), since I like it a little better than the 2015 colors, and I figured I would be able to get a better deal on it. However, the dealership was unable to locate a 2014 in green (and I only found one in a several hundred mile radius, which that place was still trying to sell for MSRP); so I've pretty much decided to go with a 2015 model. I'm currently in the process of getting the money together, and am planning to purchase a Ninja 1000 in the next week or so. I'm hoping the dealer will let me do a test ride before purchasing, just to make sure there aren't any unexpected dealbreakers, but I'm pretty much sold at this point.

I'm definitely planning to get the OEM bags, which seem significantly better than any of the other options in functionality and aesthetics (despite the excessive price tag). I'm planning to get a tail bag of some sort; the OEM one seems a little small, so I'll probably go with something else. I have a magnetic tank bag, but might end up going with the Kawasaki one as well, since it seems to fit the bike pretty well. There are also several other mods I'm thinking of doing soon after getting the bike. I would like to get some frame sliders, and I'm probably leaning towards the T-Rex set at this point (they have multiple attachment points without being too expensive, and come with front axle sliders as well). In general, I'm opposed to fender eliminators, but I think the Ninja 1000 has a particularly ugly fender, so I'll probably end up doing a fender eliminator and integrated tail light. And there are a few doodads I want, like a RAM mount, USB port, gear indicator, and BrakeAway throttle lock. Depending on how much I like the stock windshield, I'll be considering a replacement; maybe something like a dark smoke Puig windscreen with green bolts. From what I've heard, it sounds like I'll also need a seat replacement before a major trip; but I have no idea what to go with right now. My dad had some company redo his seat that allows airflow through the seat, and he loves it; I also really like the look of the Sargent seats.

Hopefully, once I get my new bike, I'll be a little more active, though I imagine I'll still be mostly a lurker.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome!

Change the front sprocket first! - It sounds to me like you are interested in touring and the short gearing of the stock bike is going to drive you nuts, Also consider a full touring windscreen. If you are a bigger guy you get hit pretty good at highway plus speeds. National cycle has a full touring screen that gets excellent reviews- it is a bit more $$$ but highway rolling is pretty bad at 80 mph for guys over 6ft.

Cheers!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Welcome Young Ninja

Thorough introduction. If you dislike the fender with it's dangling participle (this shows good taste on your part) and don't want to go the fender eliminator route, try the happy medium and cut the offending appendage.

Search for the "cutting fender" thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change the front sprocket first! - It sounds to me like you are interested in touring and the short gearing of the stock bike is going to drive you nuts,
Yeah, I've heard mostly good things about the sprocket change. Once I get the bike, we'll see how annoying I find the gearing, and that will definitely be a possibility.

I'm not sure how much touring I'll end up doing, but at the least I have the California trip coming up and I'll probably visit my sister in South Carolina (~500 miles) once a year or so.

Also consider a full touring windscreen. If you are a bigger guy you get hit pretty good at highway plus speeds. National cycle has a full touring screen that gets excellent reviews- it is a bit more $$$ but highway rolling is pretty bad at 80 mph for guys over 6ft.
Yeah, the windshield is another change I'll have to evaluate after getting the bike. I'm 5'10", so from what I've heard there's a possibility that a smaller windshield will be sufficient, but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Thorough introduction. If you dislike the fender with it's dangling participle (this shows good taste on your part) and don't want to go the fender eliminator route, try the happy medium and cut the offending appendage.

Search for the "cutting fender" thread.
Yeah, I'll definitely have to check that out. I'll see if anyone who's done that can post some side-views. I'll probably still end up going with a fender eliminator, because all the angles of the fender just look 'wrong' to me; but I'm never opposed to checking out cheaper solutions.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome good sir. I am too a resident of the state of Indiana. Souther Indiana to be specific. Outside Louisville. There are some decent roads to be ridden down here...

Reactions: Khedron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and I went ahead and put down a deposit today. The dealer had to order from Kawasaki (they sold the only one they had two days ago); sounds like they have one in a warehouse in Chicago, so it should be about a week before it gets here. I can't wait!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome .. from central Canada !

Ur gonna like it ! I'd suggest riding it for a bit. See what you may like and get a feel for what you don't. For eg, the windscreen, you may find it provides just the right amount of cooling breeze. You don't necessarily want a huge chunk of plywood blocking all the wind. But you'll figure it out.

Congrats and enjoy !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome...Great choice for both bikes, I love the Ninja 500 / EX 500. Sure, it's too small for my frame and it gets left behind on the straights...but boy do I love leaving people behind on the "5 Hundo" once it gets twisty. I tend to subscribe to the philosophy of riding a slow bike fast, rather than a fast bike slow. Would love to have a 500 for a track day bike, just for the stares.

The new 300 is an absolute blast, especially if you're riding it to be ironic. I've left many a demo rider behind while on the 300 and when they catch up they look perplexed because there is no identifier on it that says "300". "Is that the ZX-6?" "Nope, it's the 300, please try to keep up with the group"...conversation usually ends there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked it up today! I forgot to get a picture of the odometer at 0 :(, but I remembered when I got it home. So far I've added the RAM mount. I have the T-Rex sliders, but I need to get a copy of the service manual for the torque specs and such. Now to get through the break-in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts