Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install a HealTech gear indicator (in green) on my 2011 N1K. While I've got things apart I was thinking the instrument cluster might look better with matching green back lighting. Has anyone out there swapped the OEM bulbs for LED's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever swap out the OEM bulbs. I was thinking of getting the green gear indicator too. I might just go with white though if swapping out the OEM bulbs are a pain.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have got the Healtech GIpro DS Series gear indicator in red. I thought about other colour options too but red won it for me as it has the best daytime visibility. You don't want to look down at your instrument cluster for any information and not get it in an instant. Visibility on an instrument cluster is critical as you want your eyes on the road, not on the instrument cluster scanning for information. Red has top visibility in the daytime. And it looks real hot too. Be safe.

Attachments

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have got the Healtech GIpro DS Series gear indicator in red. I thought about other colour options too but red won it for me as it has the best daytime visibility. You don't want to look down at your instrument cluster for any information and not get it in an instant. Visibility on an instrument cluster is critical as you want your eyes on the road, not on the instrument cluster scanning for information. Red has top visibility in the daytime. And it looks real hot too. Be safe.
This resfs alotlike "I got read, i am smart, thought about it,and bought red, if you don't buy red you are an idiot".

Not sure if thats how you meant it or not. Really no useful information here for the OP's actual question.

Are you helping or chastising?

·
Registered
719 Posts
This resfs alotlike "I got read, i am smart, thought about it,and bought red, if you don't buy red you are an idiot".

Not sure if thats how you meant it or not. Really no useful information here for the OP's actual question.

Are you helping or chastising?
You got a chip on your shoulder or you got a chip on your shoulder?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So, I hate to raise the dead here, but no one ever really answered OPs question and I'm also curious about changing the OEM backlighting on the panel to red, but have no idea how to go about it.

Has anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
13,516 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the back lighting is done by LED. You'd need to pull the cluster apart and figure out the component size and voltage rating and then get handy with a soldering iron. I know people used to do it on the older GSXR's all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the back lighting is done by LED. You'd need to pull the cluster apart and figure out the component size and voltage rating and then get handy with a soldering iron. I know people used to do it on the older GSXR's all the time.
Interesting - if they're white (like I believe they are), I might also get away with some translucent paint or vinyl. I guess I should pull it apart anyway since it's still rattling like crazy between 3k and 5.5k

·
Registered
316 Posts
cluster "buzz" i had on mine was from it not being seated in its mounts quite right and contacting the facial piece around it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts