Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
sorry for reviving an old thread, but this was very helpful since I will be adding a GPS to the N1K. I figured my best course of action would be to use the heated grip connectors to power the GPS (I don't have/need heated grips). What I'll do is solder in an SAE connection to the bullet connectors on the heated grips and also solder another SAE connection to my Garmin's AMPS rugged mount. There is NO voltage regulator built into the Garmin Rugged Mount cable! The Garmin Montana can be powered by up to 35 volts without damaging it. (10 to 35 volts according to the manual).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the wise *** idea to do a direct connection, USB to mini-USB to power my Garmin LM2595 and promptly fried it totally forgetting it was 5v like cell phones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the wise *** idea to do a direct connection, USB to mini-USB to power my Garmin LM2595 and promptly fried it totally forgetting it was 5v like cell phones.
Yup, that sure does happen if your unit requires a voltage regulator. I finished my installation on my specific unit, Garmin Montana 650T, and it worked fine. Again, the only stipulation is that the manual clearly states that no voltage regulator is needed and that the unit can be powered with 10-35 volts directly. I wouldn't try this on my tomtom rider. For this one, I have an SAE to USB adapter that converts the 12V current down to 5V.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts