Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
@rcannon409 ,

Arthur, your original report talked about "New dual counterbalancers".

These are not new. There is a balancer, but its not new.
I am actually curious: how do you know they are not new, as in new versions of what was there?

This "new blancer" has become a running joke for anyone who knew the bike. Kawasaki added the "new" balancer in 2011, 2014, 2017, and now it's been added to the 2020. By Kawasakis count, it should have 4 balancers. I thought Kenors and I had counted 6, but maybe it's just 4?
You were counting for absolute numbers.
Again, when they say New, Kawasaki may mean they are new versions of the old.

I think I can be as sure as you if:
  1. I have access to the Kawasaki Design Team internal documentations or
  2. I have removed the counter-balancers from the different year models and measured them
How come you were so sure they are not New? Was this just your opinion or proven?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Finally, I made the effort to install the OEM Frame Sliders.
Quite painful with the new style fairings; but, I found ways around it. There's no need to totally remove all the fairings. You can slip the wrench in there once the top bolts are removed.

By the way, has anyone touched and feel the edges of the sliders? They are pretty sharp and owing to the shape of the sliders, they look like they will anchor and hook onto things on the ground if the bike is, indeed, sliding. Is this good or bad?
I installed the OEM sliders a couple months back. I did take the fairings completely off though, partially bc I plan to do a full system exhaust at some point and I'll need them off for that, so why not practice now? Honestly, it's not that hard to get them off.

In any case, thankfully I have not tested the sliders on this or my previous kawi (ninja 650), so I can't say from experience. Were I to guess I'd think they would work well for a no/slow speed tipover. Perhaps less so for a high speed low side.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
How come you were so sure they are not New? Was this just your opinion or proven?
Because if you look at the part numbers of all the models over the years the balancer partnumbers have not changed. The marketing guys may tout the "new" engine balancer with each revision of Ninja 1000 but even according to the parts guys, it has not changed.

To be honest, I haven't checked the the 2020 parts list but after the '11, '14 & '17 series "new" balancers were all the same I'd be amazed if they changed it.

Reactions: arthury

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Because if you look at the part numbers of all the models over the years the balancer partnumbers have not changed. The marketing guys may tout the "new" engine balancer with each revision of Ninja 1000 but even according to the parts guys, it has not changed.

To be honest, I haven't checked the the 2020 parts list but after the '11, '14 & '17 series "new" balancers were all the same I'd be amazed if they changed it.
I see ,,,

If the part # is the same, then they should be the same,
I know for BMW, if they upgraded the part, they always put a link to new part # in the notes of the old part # and advised the customer to use the new part.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Updated the original post with
  • recommendations for OEM GPS Mount accessory
  • KQS Downshifting experiences

·
Registered
37 Posts

Do we know for sure that Kawasaki changes part numbers for a change to an existing part?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do we know for sure that Kawasaki changes part numbers for a change to an existing part?
I would say there's about a 99.99% chance they do. Having worked in manufacturing most of my career for F500 and other large corporations there has always a new part # for even the most minute change in my experience. It has top happen to avoid wrong parts in the wrong place. Even a tiny tiny dye color change in a label results in an new label part #.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
@rcannon409 ,

I am actually curious: how do you know they are not new, as in new versions of what was there?

You were counting for absolute numbers.
Again, when they say New, Kawasaki may mean they are new versions of the old.

I think I can be as sure as you if:
  1. I have access to the Kawasaki Design Team internal documentations or
  2. I have removed the counter-balancers from the different year models and measured them
This "new" balancer was also used in the 2015 Versys, 2014 Ninja 1000 and was used between 2014 and 2021.......identical part number. The 2014 z100 used it, too.

No, I didnt do any of what you are asking because it would have been a waste of time. When you use the same pistons, cylinders, engine cases, etc, you wouldnt be able to add a balancer. Theres no room. Theres no room to do anything much differently that it was done in the first place. You could change the balancers weight, but that's a simple calculation they would have done correctly in the first place. At best, this would move what vibration you have to a different rpm range. You need 2 balancers to make it more smooth. 1 wont cut it, no matter the weight. So rather than get Kawasakis notes, or drawings, a small amount if common sense and logic is much easier to accomplish.

We could start by taking your bike apart, first, and I'll show you. Please dont make the mistake where your lack of understanding influences what is true. It's not a complex part, like a cylinder head. It's a counterweight. .

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
The part 2 to this is part numbers. Kawasaki, and the rest, make very few parts by themselves. They are assemblers. This is true for any of the companies who buikd cars, trucks or motorcycles. You wouldnt find a section in the Kawasaki factory that makes ninja 1000 balance weights. The 11-13 bike used the 13041-0028. The new 2014-2021 bike uses the 13041-0040. Very similar, and probably fits from bike to bike. The balance shaft is used, everywhere. It's the same part for the ninja 1000, a 1000,versus, z900, and zx14.

That ninja 1000 weight does have a different part number for 2011-2013. That could mean it's a different part, or it might be an identical part, from a different supplier. Typically, when you see the last two digits of a part number changed, the part is identical, but has a different surface finish.

Heres a picture that shows why a zx14, or concours 14 is so much more smooth than a ninja. This is what kawasaki would have needed to do to the Ninjas. I think their press releases were misleading, on purpose, to make people think they really did this....this bei g 2 balancers, not 1.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
This "new" balancer was also used in the 2015 Versys, 2014 Ninja 1000 and was used between 2014 and 2021.......identical part number. The 2014 z100 used it, too.

No, I didnt do any of what you are asking because it would have been a waste of time. When you use the same pistons, cylinders, engine cases, etc, you wouldnt be able to add a balancer. Theres no room. Theres no room to do anything much differently that it was done in the first place. You could change the balancers weight, but that's a simple calculation they would have done correctly in the first place. At best, this would move what vibration you have to a different rpm range. You need 2 balancers to make it more smooth. 1 wont cut it, no matter the weight. So rather than get Kawasakis notes, or drawings, a small amount if common sense and logic is much easier to accomplish.

We could start by taking your bike apart, first, and I'll show you. Please dont make the mistake where your lack of understanding influences what is true. It's not a complex part, like a cylinder head. It's a counterweight. . View attachment 31841
I honor this even though it is anecdotal. Appreciate the follow-up.

If there's one sore thumb that stood out after one month of ownership, it would be vibrations at certain RPMs. It's there but it's fairly tolerable if you do not cruise at that RPM. The good thing is that the peak vibrations in mine goes away after certain RPMs (see UPDATEs in original post).

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
615 Posts
For my 2019, I noticed it alot on the stock bike. You can get HVMP heavy bar ends, and Progrip superbike grips to help with the vibrations in the handlebars. Ivan's flash and Akra exhaust helped too but that's not an option on the new bike. FWIW I rode the new gen Ninja, and the stock bike has reduced vibrations compared to the previous gen. I've owned and rode multiple Kawasakis and the midrange vibrations have been present on all of them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Updated the original post with
  • OEM accessories printed instructions
  • OEM Service Manual mini-review
  • Kawasaki online store experience

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Gas consumption is sensitive to riding behavior (obvious).
This is what I have been keeping track so far on Fuelly.com
Ignore the first couple, they are outliers and the 60MPG one was when we got lost in the some remote area and looking for way back to civilization (most 40-45 MPH).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
For my 2019, I noticed it alot on the stock bike. You can get HVMP heavy bar ends, and Progrip superbike grips to help with the vibrations in the handlebars. Ivan's flash and Akra exhaust helped too but that's not an option on the new bike. FWIW I rode the new gen Ninja, and the stock bike has reduced vibrations compared to the previous gen. I've owned and rode multiple Kawasakis and the midrange vibrations have been present on all of them.
Good to know. Perhaps, they can add some of the magic wizardry of the Concor/ZX14R into the Ninja without adding to the weight, it would be a god place to start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If there's one sore thumb that stood out after one month of ownership, it would be vibrations at certain RPMs. It's there but it's fairly tolerable if you do not cruise at that RPM. The good thing is that the peak vibrations in mine goes away after certain RPMs (see UPDATEs in original post).
I find the whole conversation about vibrations interesting. To me, the bike is butter smooth, with no real vibration issues at any RPM. Even on long trips, I haven't had any problems. Perhaps it's because my previous bike was a Ninja 650 with the 180 degree parallel twin. It was a really, really fun little bike, but man would it vibrate. To the point that my feet would fall asleep if I was on the highway for more than about 45 minutes. By comparison, the N1K is smooth as silk.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I find the whole conversation about vibrations interesting. To me, the bike is butter smooth, with no real vibration issues at any RPM. Even on long trips, I haven't had any problems. Perhaps it's because my previous bike was a Ninja 650 with the 180 degree parallel twin. It was a really, really fun little bike, but man would it vibrate. To the point that my feet would fall asleep if I was on the highway for more than about 45 minutes. By comparison, the N1K is smooth as silk.
Hahaha. I had a Z650 before the N1K. My first impression of the N1K was that it was butter smooth compared to the 650. And the Z650s seat would make my groin go numb after an hour.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hahaha. I had a Z650 before the N1K. My first impression of the N1K was that it was butter smooth compared to the 650. And the Z650s seat would make my groin go numb after an hour.
Lol. Good deal! Guess the 650 twins do vibrate more. I never really had an issue with the 650 seat, but I also had the extended reach seat, which has A LOOOOT more padding in it.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts