Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd get one of my own but I'd only use it once per new bike. I'm a finger tight advocate.
Yup, hand-tightened is about right for 13 ft-lbs (specs in Service Manual).
Yup. I usually do "touching the block" plus 1 to 2 turn(s) and it's nearly always perfect. That said, I do still have a filter wrench around since I work on my whole freakin families vehicles too.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Honda filter cup is the shiny silver one…

View attachment 31740
I have tried those but they did not work for me with the glued on factory filters from Kawasaki and Yamaha. I have tried a bunch and there is only one type that will actually truly work. The one in the link below is very similar to the one I have but looks like it might even be a tad better.

Oil Filter Removal Tool

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the best luck with this style of oil filter plier Oil Filter Pliers i have a channelock pair..and the HF one is better. The only filter I've not been able to remove with it was actually a coolant filter on class A cummins (rusted on) which required this monstrosity IRWIN VISE-GRIP Original Chain Clamp, Locking, 9-Inch (27ZR) - Locking Jaw Pliers - Amazon.com or Amazon.com: uxcell Automotive Tools Universal Chain Oil Filter Wrench 200mm: Industrial & Scientific - not sure which ended up finally breaking it free..

But the slip joint style pliers with serrated teeth really bite into the filter can with a little grip strength. And they work on nearly any size filter..

ahm

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have tried those but they did not work for me with the glued on factory filters from Kawasaki and Yamaha. I have tried a bunch and there is only one type that will actually truly work. The one in the link below is very similar to the one I have but looks like it might even be a tad better.

Oil Filter Removal Tool
I like that! Might buy one. Thx

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've had the best luck with this style of oil filter plier Oil Filter Pliers i have a channelock pair..and the HF one is better. The only filter I've not been able to remove with it was actually a coolant filter on class A cummins (rusted on) which required this monstrosity IRWIN VISE-GRIP Original Chain Clamp, Locking, 9-Inch (27ZR) - Locking Jaw Pliers - Amazon.com or Amazon.com: uxcell Automotive Tools Universal Chain Oil Filter Wrench 200mm: Industrial & Scientific - not sure which ended up finally breaking it free..

But the slip joint style pliers with serrated teeth really bite into the filter can with a little grip strength. And they work on nearly any size filter..

ahm
The first one in your post is like one in my picture above that I have. Mine works on some, but it’s not as good as my regular channel locks. Yours might be better quality

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first one in your post is like one in my picture above that I have. Mine works on some, but it’s not as good as my regular channel locks. Yours might be better quality
My bad - i didn't see it in there. Yours does look a little different - can't tell from that pic if it has proper serrated chompers and the handle geometry is def different. I'll grab a pic of mine tomorrow. The HF ones have been one of those odd surprises (in a good way) from HF :) I've used them for probably close to a decade across a LOT of filters and are almost always the first and only filter removal tool needed.

I used the band style for a while but bashed too many knuckles when they'd slip. The 'filter socket' style would work well when a) 'socket' was new - stamped metal didn't live long in the square drive hole and b) # of flats on filter matched socket - different filter mfr, different # of flats... Extracting the filter can from those 'sockets' sometimes sucked also..

Tool preferences are funny sometimes.. I HATE flex head ratchets - roto style (or traditional fixed) are my favs. My ex-pro wrench buddy..can't stand the rotos and lives by his flexes.

ahm

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I like the pliers, but they are all too large....I havent found anything to be small enough to be that useful, for a motorcycle.

I usually just use channel lock pliers. Its not like the Smithsonian wants my old filter, so I dont care if it gets dented.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a couple of the same Kobalt tool chests... and on 1 of them, the same end clip missing at the same exactly place too. LOL I think it's just at the right height where my butt swipes it.

Lovely S.S., ball bearing glides, and built like a tank. Although, I've had these for so long, the caster "tires" have started to disintegrate spontaneously. Not really that big a deal, as I don't roll them around the garage, so they just stay in one place. The casters can still roll on the hard plastic core "wheels" the polymer tires are bonded too.

As for oil filter wrenches... I've had the same gaggle for the last 30+ years. Never come across a filter I couldn't persuade. Well except one... where I had to use a long shank screwdriver punched thru the oil filter.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have a couple of the same Kobalt tool chests... and on 1 of them, the same end clip missing at the same exactly place too. LOL I think it's just at the right height where my butt swipes it.

Lovely S.S., ball bearing glides, and built like a tank. Although, I've had these for so long, the caster "tires" have started to disintegrate spontaneously. Not really that big a deal, as I don't roll them around the garage, so they just stay in one place. The casters can still roll on the hard plastic core "wheels" the polymer tires are bonded too.

As for oil filter wrenches... I've had the same gaggle for the last 30+ years. Never come across a filter I couldn't persuade. Well except one... where I had to use a long shank screwdriver punched thru the oil filter.
I love the Kobalt branded tools. When Lowe’s took on Craftsman I told a guy at Lowe’s they would wind up losing a lot of business over time. Sears ruined the Craftsman brand by forcing them to cheapen their products.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The previous owner used a hiflofiltro racing oil filter. Is there any actual benefit to a 'race filter? I am very skeptical of one producing any tangible benefits over OEM

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been using HiFlo filters for about 5 years and like them. I cannot remember them being marked as racing filters, probably a marketing thing.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I love the Kobalt branded tools. When Lowe’s took on Craftsman I told a guy at Lowe’s they would wind up losing a lot of business over time. Sears ruined the Craftsman brand by forcing them to cheapen their products.
Kobalt kinda did the same thing to their hand tools over the years. I bought Kobalt combo wrench sets when then first intro'ed the brand. They were narrow low-profile, smooth-contoured,100% polished and triple chromed. These days, the "same" wrench sets don't look anything like that. Not quite to the same degree Craftsman had gotten toward the end of Sear's demise, but getting closer every time I go look. Lifetime warranty loses a lot of its value when the replacements aren't built to the same standards.

I've got these Craftsman mini needle nose pliers that I must have gotten replaced at least 3-4 times over. They would bend and crack if I tried cutting anything bigger than a 20AWG wire. Utterly useless.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can see in the closeups how aggressive the teeth are (red handles are harbor freight, blue are channellock).

I think the orientation of the jaws on the HF (being clocked maybe 10 degrees off the handle vs about 80 for the channellock) plays a part in why the HF seems to work so much better. Teeth are pretty similar. Raw leverage (HF are longer) certainly doesnt hurt.

While they are a little big, the flexibilty in how they can be used more than makes up for it. These can come in from lots of angles and still get plenty of purchase. I cant think of a single filter i couldnt get to with them. Early (NA/NB) miata filter access stinks (mid-height of engine, in between block and inner psgr fender)..and with some navigation through the hoses and wiring, these pliers work fine.

ahm

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
You can see in the closeups how aggressive the teeth are (red handles are harbor freight, blue are channellock).

I think the orientation of the jaws on the HF (being clocked maybe 10 degrees off the handle vs about 80 for the channellock) plays a part in why the HF seems to work so much better. Teeth are pretty similar. Raw leverage (HF are longer) certainly doesnt hurt.

While they are a little big, the flexibilty in how they can be used more than makes up for it. These can come in from lots of angles and still get plenty of purchase. I cant think of a single filter i couldnt get to with them. Early (NA/NB) miata filter access stinks (mid-height of engine, in between block and inner psgr fender)..and with some navigation through the hoses and wiring, these pliers work fine.

ahm
Mine is similar and it's the tool that broke free the oil filter after multiple attempts.

Reactions: amolaver

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Finally, I made the effort to install the OEM Frame Sliders.
Quite painful with the new style fairings; but, I found ways around it. There's no need to totally remove all the fairings. You can slip the wrench in there once the top bolts are removed.

By the way, has anyone touched and feel the edges of the sliders? They are pretty sharp and owing to the shape of the sliders, they look like they will anchor and hook onto things on the ground if the bike is, indeed, sliding. Is this good or bad?

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·

81 - 100 of 117 Posts