Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the RS3 more of a ST tire, or SS tire? How do you classify our stock tires? Wonder what the handling difference would be in comparing stock vs RS3 in the stock 50 size? I can hardly touch the ground now, so raising the rear any just makes my vertically challenged *** height even worse.
They just came out with the RS1V, I ran the 3's last year best tire I ever ran

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another thing to consider with switching to a 55 rear is it will change the accuracy of your speedometer and odometer. The speedometer is more accurate with the 55 (around 1% above GPS speed), however your odometer will be off as well. For me though, that's a minor gripe compared to the improved handling, the bike holds a line better and takes less effort to tip in. And with mine being a 2013, there are no electronics to cause confusion with!

I'm on my third set of Michelin Pilot Roads (the latest is just called the Road 5), and I continue to be impressed with them, great cornering grip, tread wear, and does very well in the rain. Tried the Roadsmarts as well, but found them a bit squirrely when pushed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran Michelin Pilot tires on my Yamaha FZ6R. The front always wore out ahead of the back tire. It seems that the front tires have such a narrow band of contact that they get eaten up quickly. So much for dual compound rubber. I have 5000 KMs on my 2018 and the front tire is just about ready for the scrap heap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dunlop has recently released the roadsmart 4 with claimed improvements over the rs3. I will be trying them out once my rs3's need replacing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran Michelin Pilot tires on my Yamaha FZ6R. The front always wore out ahead of the back tire. It seems that the front tires have such a narrow band of contact that they get eaten up quickly. So much for dual compound rubber. I have 5000 KMs on my 2018 and the front tire is just about ready for the scrap heap.
Not once in three sets of Pilots have I had the front wear out faster than the rear. Maybe the FZ liked to wear out fronts? I don't know. Doesn't seem to be an issue on the Ninja. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not once in three sets of Pilots have I had the front wear out faster than the rear. Maybe the FZ liked to wear out fronts? I don't know. Doesn't seem to be an issue on the Ninja. Maybe somebody else can chime in?
A lot depends on how you ride the bike. If you are a 1/4 mile junkie, you'll probably tear up that rear faster than the front. The bigger the HP, the worse this gets. OTOH, if you like to carry speed into a corner, then brake late and brake heavy, that weight transfer will load almost the entire weight of the bike on that front tire while scrubbing off speed. Don't be surprised if the front tire wear out quicker. Of course, if you are somewhere in between, then the tires will wear according to the load imposed on them.

Different bikes have different chassis dynamics and so will carry their weight differently. That will have some influence on tire wear as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Oh I'm going to be all over that Dunlop Roadsmart 4's! If they improved on the RS3's, the 4's are going to be awesome for the N1k. The 3's already feel like sport tires and the rear tire lasts a long time. Thanks for sharing N1kLife.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Volfy has a point.

I have two N1k's, older and newer, not once has the front wear the same as the rear. Always the fronts wore out first and mostly the sides. But I ride a lot of twisty roads with a lot of highway in between. Not a whole lot of stop and go.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've had Pilot Road 3s, 4s & 5s on Ninjas and VFRs. The VFRs always wore the rear first. The Ninjas wear the front first but not by much. I switched to RoadSmart 3s and never looked back. Pretty much same mileage as PRs and same decent stick in the wet (important for me) but they seem to give a smoother/softer ride and, for me, make the Ninja handle even better.
And by front wearing sooner I mean when the front is gone I still would keep the rear another 1k+ miles. Except by then it's usually flattened and handling is deteriorating and I really want to replace it anyway. Love the feel of new tires!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the new RS3s put on and had a chance to test them out. No codes have been triggered.

I like the handling much better. It now takes a lot less force on the handlebars to initiate a turn. Also, the bike follows the path I want without getting perturbed by the unevenness in the road. So far, so good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had Pilot Road 3s, 4s & 5s on Ninjas and VFRs. The VFRs always wore the rear first. The Ninjas wear the front first but not by much. I switched to RoadSmart 3s and never looked back. Pretty much same mileage as PRs and same decent stick in the wet (important for me) but they seem to give a smoother/softer ride and, for me, make the Ninja handle even better.
And by front wearing sooner I mean when the front is gone I still would keep the rear another 1k+ miles. Except by then it's usually flattened and handling is deteriorating and I really want to replace it anyway. Love the feel of new tires!
New tires are the best. I've replaced squared off tires before the wear bars knowing it would be a better riding experience for the season. I didn't have the best experience with the RS3, as the rear seemed way more squirrelly under acceleration and lean than the PR, grip wise it just didn't seemed as good. But, RS4 might be worth a try!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Volfy has a point.

I have two N1k's, older and newer, not once has the front wear the same as the rear. Always the fronts wore out first and mostly the sides. But I ride a lot of twisty roads with a lot of highway in between. Not a whole lot of stop and go.
That sounds like my riding as well, I'm sure we all gravitate towards the twisties. I only put my latest set on (Road 5) in August and am already at about half tread (front and read), but will update when I get closer to the wear limits. So far, about equal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A lot depends on how you ride the bike. If you are a 1/4 mile junkie, you'll probably tear up that rear faster than the front. The bigger the HP, the worse this gets. OTOH, if you like to carry speed into a corner, then brake late and brake heavy, that weight transfer will load almost the entire weight of the bike on that front tire while scrubbing off speed. Don't be surprised if the front tire wear out quicker. Of course, if you are somewhere in between, then the tires will wear according to the load imposed on them.

Different bikes have different chassis dynamics and so will carry their weight differently. That will have some influence on tire wear as well.
Of course, and that makes sense. Pretty basic bike dynamics. Certainly not a 1/4 mile junkie, having fun with carrying max speed through a corner is way more better. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I almost always carry a decent amount of extra weight on the back, but that should be minor compared to braking/cornering/acceleration forces on the rubber.

But, if some riders experience the PR wearing faster in the front, who am I to refute that? Maybe I've just been lucky. Also, same tires on some of my friends bikes, no sign of excessive front tire wear yet. We'll see how this set ends up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got a stock 2018 N1K with about 6700 miles and original tires which are almost worn out. I'd like my next set of tires to last longer and after doing some research I'm leaning towards getting the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires.

Based on what I've read on this forum, changing the rear size to 190/55 can make a positive difference.

Have there been any issues with the check engine light due to the IMU and/or ABS system being affected by the different tire size for the 2018 model?
I have a 2017 which (as far as I know) is physically identical to your bike. Went with Battlax S22s on front and rear. Stock size front, and 190/55 rear, and have loved the change. Stockers were S20s. Not sure how many miles I’ve clocked, but probably approaching 1000 and no problems so far. I’ve had a few (mostly on purpose and some not) emergency stops and no problems. No error codes so far. The 190/55 makes the bike twitchier, in a good cornering way. If you like cornering, try the 190/55. Just as an aside, the S22s I bought are miles more confidence inspiring over the OEM S20s that came on the bike. Much better grip.

Reactions: mr.sand
21 - 36 of 36 Posts