Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a stock 2018 N1K with about 6700 miles and original tires which are almost worn out. I'd like my next set of tires to last longer and after doing some research I'm leaning towards getting the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires.

Based on what I've read on this forum, changing the rear size to 190/55 can make a positive difference.

Have there been any issues with the check engine light due to the IMU and/or ABS system being affected by the different tire size for the 2018 model?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
369 Posts
Yes, multiple reports, both here and on the UK forum, but it is not common and it is variable.

This problem only affects the 2017, 2018 & 2019 models. Some of these bikes are fine and have not problems, other bikes go for thousands of miles, then throw an error code.

Do a search on "error code" or visit this recent event First problem, CEL lit and TC flashing...

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
265 Posts
I have a 2019 and got sick of the stock tires fast. I felt like the front tire would slide. I ended up getting the Roadsmart 3 based on other owner's suggestions. I purchased at the dealer and only had the 55, when I really wanted the 50 to see how they tracked.
It did transform the bike and I really enjoy them. Great grip for the type of tires. So far, no error codes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
2018 here and +1 for RoadSmart 3s in a /55 rear profile.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
20 Posts
I've got a stock 2018 N1K with about 6700 miles and original tires which are almost worn out. I'd like my next set of tires to last longer and after doing some research I'm leaning towards getting the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires.
Based on what I've read on this forum, changing the rear size to 190/55 can make a positive difference.
Have there been any issues with the check engine light due to the IMU and/or ABS system being affected by the different tire size for the 2018 model?
It can also be a negative one too. The effect is that the when the bike is leaned over, the rear will turn in faster than the front.
This can feel like the rear is slipping over compared to the front half of the bike.
The Factory changed dimension set points for the 20/21 to improve the feel. So if just going up from a 50 to 55 profile was enough to achieve this neutral cornering, why didn't they just do it ?
That would have been an easier fix, than making new frames and triple clamps to experiment with on the test track.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Slower, that's a great point. The 190/55 helped, but was never the complete solution. It was more of a band aid rather than a fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, guys. Sounds like there is a small chance of things going wrong by switching to /55 but more likely it will be an improvement. But if I don't do it, I'll always be curious what I'm missing out on. I'll try /55 and let you know how things go.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Like a lot of new tire impression reports, they are always difficult to tell whether the rider was really being subjective about evaluating the brand new tires against what the original tires felt like when they were also brand new. IMO too many riders are simply comparing new tires to how the old tires felt like just before being replaced.

FWIW, the stock S20's on my 2018 are not anywhere close to the wear bars yet, but I can already tell they behave quite differently compared to when they were brand new. For one thing, now the bike requires more input to keep the bike leaned over through the turn. I am guessing that will get worse as the S20's wear down even more. The front already have fairly pronounced feathered edges and the rear has a big ol' flat strip down the middle. Nothing too unusual, but worn tires don't handle the same as brand new tires with clean profiles and fresh tire compounds. Some bikes are also more sensitive to tire wear than others. I have not ridden the N1k long enough to tell definitively yet, but the C14 was like that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a 2018 and immediately switched to the 190/55 rear. No issues with TC/ABS throwing codes. Much better handling feel. Corrected my speedometer to be within 1 mph of true speed. Already on my second set of 190/55 rear.

Going to 55 rear won't cause issues. Changing your gearing via sprocket changes will cause issues.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
20 Posts
Thanks for all the input, guys. Sounds like there is a small chance of things going wrong by switching to /55 but more likely it will be an improvement. But if I don't do it, I'll always be curious what I'm missing out on. I'll try /55 and let you know how things go.
I think for you, you've made the right choice. Better to know than always wonder as your own life experence is the best teacher.
Buying yet another rear tyre is not the end of the World, is it ? When the time eventually comes to sell the Ninja, you can refit it as part of the sale.

There's so many variables in the 50 vs 55 debate. Mostly around how you ride a bike compared to someone else - we're all different in style, weight and cornering bravado.
Then add in little things like the camber of the road (tropical area's have a higher crown height to get hard rain off faster) and whether it been dusted with salt for the snowy times.

On the GSX-S Forum where I've just come from, the same debate has been there too, and a few Guys tried the 190/55 but then returned to the 50 with the next set of tyres, but others swore by the 55 as a very positive change for them.
You could say that the more agressive sporting Rider went for the 55, and the 50 was for the quiter/steady Rider as a generalisation. Me, I just ride what's on the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have much experience with different tires as this is only my second bike, but my first bike, a V-Strom 650 has a very linear steering feel and it doesn't jerk around like the Ninja when the road surface is uneven. I'm hoping to get something closer to neutral and linear after this tire change.

I've ordered the 55 tire and have an appointment to have the tires changed on Thursday.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don't have much experience with different tires as this is only my second bike, but my first bike, a V-Strom 650 has a very linear steering feel and it doesn't jerk around like the Ninja when the road surface is uneven. I'm hoping to get something closer to neutral and linear after this tire change.
I've ridden a couple of VStrom 650's and I would agree. Those bikes have a very neutral steering feel, and the steering isn't as quick as the Ninja 1000. The N1k's come with sport tires so naturally those tires will allow quicker steering due to their more V-like profile up front. But also the N1k's have more aggressive steering geometry because it is a sportbike first, compared to the VStrom. I believe if you get Sport Touring tires, like Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, or Bridgestone T31's, or Pirelli Angels, their tire profiles will not be as V-shaped as sport tires, which should give you that linear steering feel you're after.

·
Registered
164 Posts

6700 miles is pretty darn good on the oem tires. Any Big name brand from a retailer will be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2019, I put approximately 1400 miles on it before I changed out the stock tires to Metzler Sportec M9 RR tires, in the 50 size. When I first jumped on the bike, the turn in into corners was way faster than the stock tires, after about 30 miles I was used to the new tire. Now, I ride the hell out of the tires, it sticks like glue and as of yet has never slipped on me. I have absolute confidence in this tire. Glad I made the switch, but I did stick to the 50 size, so I cannot comment on a change to 55, but the initial ride on the new tires did surprise me how easily it dropped into the first corner I took. Different tire, different feel, response, etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
OCL, are you thinking with staying with the 50, but going to the RS3's, it would be a better feel than with the stock tires? I'm going to need to do tires down the road on my 19, and it concerns me about going with the 55 due to a few posts where folks have had issues.

·
Registered
466 Posts
On my '18 with the IMU controlled TC/ABS (same as your '19), I put Dunlop RS3's with the 55 rear after about 2,500 miles. I'm now on my second set. My bike came with S20's. My '18 never threw any codes for the 55. Really enjoy the handling of these tires. I've also tried the Michelins Pilot Roads 5's on my '12 with the 190/55 rear. I also tried Continental Attack on the '12 with the 190/55. I really didn't notice a difference in steering feel between the two. Because I believe the Conti Attack's are designed to be more neutral versus it's Dunlop counterpart, the Q3. The Q3 has a more V-profile than a lot of the other sport tires out there.

Anyway, I know from experience sport tires on the N1k won't last more than 2k miles up front. The ST tires will go about 4k up front, and about 6k at the rear. The N1k seems to use up fronts at almost 2x the rate it uses up the rear. My favorite feature of the Dunlop RS3's, is its resistance to side wear up front, long lasting center treads, and it holds on to its handling characteristics until the very end of the tire's life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is the RS3 more of a ST tire, or SS tire? How do you classify our stock tires? Wonder what the handling difference would be in comparing stock vs RS3 in the stock 50 size? I can hardly touch the ground now, so raising the rear any just makes my vertically challenged *** height even worse.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here are the most popular tires by type:
Super sport:
Dunlop Q3
Michelin Pilot Power
Bridgestone S20/1/2
Pirelli Diablo (all)
Continental ContiAttack (all)

Sport Touring:
Dunlop Roadsmarts (all)
Michelin Pilot Roads
Bridgestone T30+
Pirelli Angel ST
Continental ContiRoad

The 55 rear will raise the rear some. Maybe 5-7mm. Goatdriver, if the current rear height of the N1k with the 50 rear is at the borderline of seat height, I suggest you stay with the 50. Does the handling bother you now? If not, don't change. Being comfortable on the bike is priority.

Nobody here is saying the bike handles bad with the 50 rear. It just takes some getting used to. Once you are used to that it's not an issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts