Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I am going to be pulling the trigger on one of these. Grey/Black.

Is there a massive difference in the 2011 VS the newer ones? I had been looking for a newer one but this one is in new condition, hardly driven, the seller is 100% reliable and is giving me a ton of extra stuff including in the price, which for the year is about 1000 less then anyone else.

I haven't ridden since I sold my 1993 CBR in 2008.

Am i losing out by saving likley around 2-4 grand here by buying an 11?

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
Without knowing specifics ($$$), its hard to say. The new bike has some definite improvements, but is it 2k worth? 3k? 4K? For me, anything over about 1500.00 would make me want the older one. Just because I could fix the suspension and get an ivans reflash for that. But, I would be planning to do that. Not planning to save money. If traction control is important to you, thats one you really cant overcome. Unless your motorcycle is a daily driver, this is not the place to save money. You save money by not buying something. For me, its always been wildly unsatisfying to buy almost what I wanted, but not quite what I wanted, no matter how much was saved.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess though I am buying a bike nearly 20 years newer then the last one. I figure I should be happy, my last bike was a CBR 900 and prior to that the 1986 ninja 1000R.

This one costing me around $6000 (Canadian)

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
6000 used, and 10,000 new? Just guessing here. I think you'll like the new bike. Much more torque, and midrange than your Honda 900 and 100 lbs lighter than your old 86 ninja.

Still, the Honda was no pos. Thats one of the best road going race replicas ever made and would not really be out of date today.

Tons of innovation between 86 and 96. The pace was much slower from 96-06. If you factor out electronics, the 06-16 changes have been nothing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
For me, its always been wildly unsatisfying to buy almost what I wanted, but not quite what I wanted, no matter how much was saved.
Amen to that quote !

I find the same thing, it's hard enough not to keep wanting something else anyway so you might as good all in to give yourself a chance of keeping it for a while. :)

Try and analyse exactly what you want. Hearing what other people want is good but you may be in a different place so keep that in mind. Watch lots of videos. If you can test ride then do so.

I liked the way the Z1000 felt to sit on and it was that quality that pulled me in, but I decided to go with the Ninja 1000 because of what it added for the same price. And I didn't even know of the Versys which has a lot to offer too but got me a little closer to my other bike so it's probably just as well I didn't know about it. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6000 used, and 10,000 new? Just guessing here. I think you'll like the new bike. Much more torque, and midrange than your Honda 900 and 100 lbs lighter than your old 86 ninja.

Still, the Honda was no pos. Thats one of the best road going race replicas ever made and would not really be out of date today.

Tons of innovation between 86 and 96. The pace was much slower from 96-06. If you factor out electronics, the 06-16 changes have been nothing.
Lol the 2016s will cost me around 14 to 15k new in canada from what I can see. Some 2014's like maybe 12ish I think.

Paying half that for a 2011 that looks brand new, with a significant amount of accessories and the guy im buying off i trust 1000x more then any dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry my bad this is a Ninja 1000 R not sure how i change the title.

Also its pretty new, should i ensure it for full comp/theft (around $600/year) or just liability ($300/year) as full comp has a 500 deductible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts