Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike just had its second oil change. On the first change(800 miles) I swapped a magnetic plug.

On the second change I was pretty horrified at what it caught.

I cannot recommend this enough!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
My bike just had its second oil change. On the first change(800 miles) I swapped a magnetic plug.

On the second change I was pretty horrified at what it caught.

I cannot recommend this enough!!!!
Yeah this is why I change the oil at 400 then again at 1500...

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Gary, same story here. After the second oil change, I have not found anything attached to my magnetic plug. Hopefully yours is the same.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
And where does someone get a magnetic sump plug?

MAGNETIC OIL DRAIN BOLT PLUG 12X1.5X15, my local auto parts store actually carried it. They are all over the net though, just have to decide what color and how much you want to spend. Might give thought to the cheaper ones before purchase as they tend to be made from softer metal and don't last, at least in in my experience.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I changed my oil, and filter at 40 miles. I had a few tiny shards, At 500, I had nothing, and have never seen a piece of metal, again.

I like the magnetic plug because it could alert you to something bad. Agree with spending enough to get a decent one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
MAGNETIC OIL DRAIN BOLT PLUG 12X1.5X15, my local auto parts store actually carried it. They are all over the net though, just have to decide what color and how much you want to spend. Might give thought to the cheaper ones before purchase as they tend to be made from softer metal and don't last, at least in in my experience.
I would strongly recommend avoiding any bolts made out of Aluminum, especially the ones from Bike Master. I installed one in my 2012 a few years ago, and it only lasted two Oil Changes before failing the third time. On the third change, I wasn't even to the point of torquing the bolt down, before the bolt head snapped off. Fortunately, because it snapped at such a low torque, I was able to unscrew the threaded portion that was still in the drain hole without too much of a problem. Bikemaster has sinced pulled that specific drain plug from the market, and apparently has gone to steel ones.

As for a replacement, I switched over to this one without any issue.

Gold Plug MP-01

·
Registered
456 Posts
I probably had 5k miles + on my bike when I put the plug in. First oil change after, lots of crud; second, a little; third almost imperceptible.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This ones no longer available,,. Every time I track one of these down its a 12m 1.5 13,,..Is this the only bike Kawi makes with a 15 mm,,,,,,,,,,,.?

I would strongly recommend avoiding any bolts made out of Aluminum, especially the ones from Bike Master. I installed one in my 2012 a few years ago, and it only lasted two Oil Changes before failing the third time. On the third change, I wasn't even to the point of torquing the bolt down, before the bolt head snapped off. Fortunately, because it snapped at such a low torque, I was able to unscrew the threaded portion that was still in the drain hole without too much of a problem. Bikemaster has sinced pulled that specific drain plug from the market, and apparently has gone to steel ones.

As for a replacement, I switched over to this one without any issue.

Gold Plug MP-01

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
This ones no longer available,,. Every time I track one of these down its a 12m 1.5 13,,..Is this the only bike Kawi makes with a 15 mm,,,,,,,,,,,.?
Double check that the 13 doesn't mean head / socket size needed. I think I remember that being the case with mine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Kawi spec for Ninja 1000

PLUG,OIL DRAIN,12X15
92066-1174
I think the 1.5 is the tread the M12 is the size and the 15 is the length?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm very happy that I made this upgrade early on.

I got the Gold plug installed after first oil change at 500 miles. I found a few very small shavings stuck to it after the next oil change. Then, just recently it caught a 1" sliver of metal as well as some smaller chunks. Last oil change was good with no shavings found :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Plug I linked to above is still available through Amazon and/or Gold Plugs website. I just recieved the new one I ordered (for my 2017).

Head Size = 17mm (same as OEM (2017))

Width of threads = 12mm

Length of Threads = 13mm

Length of Threads + Magnet = 16mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts