Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ninja 1k Riders,

My name is Mufid from Australia. I own a 2019 Ninja 1k purchased recently. I have upgraded from a cbr500r. I would like to know if I am changing the gears at the right speed and rpm. I tend to change gears at 5k rpm. I ride upto 5k rpm and can sense the engine wanting to gear up. Could you please advise if the below is correct?

1st gear - 4k rpm - 0 to 20 km/h
2nd gear - between 4k and 5k rpm - between 20 and 50 km/h
3rd gear - between 4k and 5k rpm - between 50 and 80 km/h
4th gear - between 4k and 5k rpm - between 80 and 90 km/h
5th gear - between 4k and 5k rpm - above 90 km/h

My gear limiter is set at 7k rpm by the dealer.

Thanks for your input.

Kind Regards,

Mufid

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
This bike has such a usable power curve that dependant on what your wanting at that moment any rpm above 3k seems to work ok. I wouldnt sweat it and soon you'll be so comfortable that timing your throttle roll off clutch pull and gear change will be second nature with hardly a second thought.
We really are lucky to have this much power,yet still usable down low. Not many bikes are just as happy putting around a 100k acre wildlife reserve at 45 mph getting over 50 MPG as they are averaging 21 MPG trying to set personal time records from Houston to Dallas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Avintage69.

Thanks LSX_Cherokee. I am aware to change the setting. I was more after the rpm of gear change.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@Mufid Your owner manual should have a chart which gives speeds for shifting both up and down. Mine is a 2020 and listed on page 127, your 2019 manual may be a little different.

Your listed engine and bike speeds for shifting seems OK. Engine shifting speeds (once break-in is complete) to me is a personal rider style and traffic/road conditions. I tend to shift at a higher engine speed when solo and a lower engine speed when 2-up, just to provide a smoother ride that is not as aggressive for passengers. 5K to shift is about where I shift, but 6K, 7K, 8K rpm is also common dependent on traffic, road conditions.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The upshift indicator light is programmable. It's set low initially to remind you you're still breaking in the engine up to the first 1600km. The owners manual tells how to change it.
As has been indicated there is no "correct" rpm to upshift. The manual has general guidelines but that's all they are, guidelines. If you were on the track trying to set the fastest time you might be shifting very near redline. "Normal" street riding you'll soon find what's comfortable for you. "Normal" is in quotes because each of us has their own normal and even that depends on the road you're on. Just keep the engine above about 2.5k rpm and it'll happily carry you along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Eagle six. Looked at my manual but could not find it strangely. Possible to send me a screenshot?

Thanks Kenors. I base gear change on sound and feel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts