Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no use for a 12V socket or a USB socket… So I installed this puppy today:

Momentary 12V Rocker Switch

Wired and soldered a lead to an extra garage door remote, ran the wire from the install point, under the tank, to the rear seat compartment… and used bullet connectors under the install point AND at the garage door opener remote as well.

It’s supposedly waterproof to some extent. Feels solid, and works. We’ll see how long it holds up.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great minds think alike! I recently did something similar with my F2P garage door opener. I've had this unit on my last 3 bikes. With the LED headlight I couldn't locate a high beam circuit to tap so I installed a momentary switch.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
8 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

I did the same with mine.
The first switch that I had wasn't a waterproof one.. BIG mistake! I Had troubles with it! Be sure to buy a waterproof one even if your bike is always in the garage. Water goes in the switch when you're washing your bike!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have no use for a 12V socket or a USB socket… So I installed this puppy today:

Momentary 12V Rocker Switch

Wired and soldered a lead to an extra garage door remote, ran the wire from the install point, under the tank, to the rear seat compartment… and used bullet connectors under the install point AND at the garage door opener remote as well.

It’s supposedly waterproof to some extent. Feels solid, and works. We’ll see how long it holds up.
Did you wire in a relay driven by a 12V+ ignition source, so the button only works when the ignition switch on ON?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you wire in a relay driven by a 12V+ ignition source, so the button only works when the ignition switch on ON?
No, I didn’t go nuts with it. It’s just a momentary rocker switch, with 2 leads that i soldered to the button contacts on the garage door remote. The switch itself requires absolutely no power, and basically just a button extension that will work regardless of the state of the ignition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts