Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it's common on the N1K to have the front tire wear faster than the rear? I noticed the sides of my front tire are pretty much at the wear bars even though my rear tire has definitely well over 50% left?! I'm not afraid to push the bike in the corners but I'm not MotoGP either LOL

Guessing it's the added weight compared to a super sport? I have 3.3k mi on the tires.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the stock Battlax tires. They're definitely not great but I figured the difference front to back should be similar regardless of brand.

I ran stock pressures initially (36F/42R) but then dropped it to about 34/38 since my rear tire was showing some surface heat damage after a canyon run.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My stock tires wore out together at about the same rate. Considering how much time though the front wheel was in the air, I thought the front would have done better. ;)

On the Angels, both have worn great, and at a lower rate than the stock ones. At my current rate I think I'll get about 10k miles out of the front and about 8k rear.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The stock battlax tires were done at around 5000 on my bike if i recall correctly and i was also runnng 36 and 42 most of the time.......presently the pirelli agts have almost 5000 an there is much more left to leave on the street..i usually run 34/39 now

·
Registered
601 Posts
I also wore through the front and rear stock tires at an equal rate. I switched to sport touring tires and usually get around 6000 rear and 9000 front running 34 front and 38 rear psi.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Just wondering if it's common on the N1K to have the front tire wear faster than the rear?
I've noticed that it depends on my suspension settings, my twisty vs. straight ratio and weather I have a tall rear tire profile like a 190/55. The taller rear tire and suspension add weight to the front tire.

I think 3,300 sounds about right for the stock front tire if you are riding a lot of twisties.

·
Registered
627 Posts
front tire wear

hmmmm, that makes sense sprocket.....plus if your braking hard into short raduis turns frequently then that is pushing more weight to the front wheel and supension... I have to search for curves here in SW florida...i want to ride a few days along the blue ridge before i sell this ninja...hope i make it

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should rethink the idea of a 190/55 rear tire? I'm currently running 190/50 stock size.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should rethink the idea of a 190/55 rear tire? I'm currently running 190/50 stock size.
The bike will handle better with the 190/55. Initial turn in will require less effort and the bike will hold a line through the turn better. Overall handling will be closer to neutral.

Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm now in the same boat. My OE front tire is almost down to the wear bars at 2300 miles, the rear is still in great shape. I've been running the recommended 36/42 psi. Anyone with terrible wear able to get a warrantly replacement? I'm pretty sure OE tires are not covered by tire manufacturers. I can't figure out how/why the wear would be so terrible on the front. I'm taking it in to have it checked out before the warranty is out but I really don't want to buy a new tire with so few miles on it. I haven't pushed the bike super hard, haven't been to the track. The only possible cause I can imagine is I tend to be off throttle in turns, up to about the apex, and I know that would put extra load on the front tire...but less than 3000 miles on a non track tire seems crazy.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm now in the same boat. My OE front tire is almost down to the wear bars at 2300 miles, the rear is still in great shape. I've been running the recommended 36/42 psi. Anyone with terrible wear able to get a warrantly replacement? I'm pretty sure OE tires are not covered by tire manufacturers. I can't figure out how/why the wear would be so terrible on the front. I'm taking it in to have it checked out before the warranty is out but I really don't want to buy a new tire with so few miles on it. I haven't pushed the bike super hard, haven't been to the track. The only possible cause I can imagine is I tend to be off throttle in turns, up to about the apex, and I know that would put extra load on the front tire...but less than 3000 miles on a non track tire seems crazy.
It will be interesting to see how long my replacement front tire lasts. The sides were the worst; could be related to the extra weight of the bike pushing much harder in the corners.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Luciano, I dont know how old you are, but did your mom ever shop ant K mart and buy TRAX shoes?

If she did, you would think a pair of shoes lasted four days, then blew out the sides.

Thats kind-of where the front tire is, quality wise. To try and judge handling, fork performance, and tire wear is like judging your running with those Trax shoes.

Just pretend its a bad memory, and move on...

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
My front oem tire last 5500 miles the bt 016 the rear was replaced at 6000 miles

·
Registered
367 Posts
My stock tires lasted just shy of 5000mi.

Granted, I ride a bit aggressive.
That's actually a very good mileage for sport tires, a very very good one.

I never succeeded in lasting a rear sport tire more then 3000 miles.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I dont ride hard or aggressive since my wife rides with me most of the time so thats probably why mine last

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
So, what causes his front tire to wear so quickly?

I understand a rider wearing a rear tire out earlier than another, but the front? I dont see the shop doing anything for tires, or brake pad wear.

How about some more details on this? Your weight? Anything that might explain. I get the feeling an important detail is missing?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts