Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wandering if you guys remove your front fork side reflectors, i noticed my 2012 does not have any on it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Removed them and installed same fastener as in the fender hole below.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
82 Posts
Took mine off on Friday. I finally managed to get to an Ace hardware that had stainless metric stuff.

I just spun off a reflect and brought it in with me...

I guess I could have just bought a couple factory bolts so the head would be the same size as the bottom ones, but even with the top bolt heads being smaller it still looks much better.

~Mark

·
Registered
951 Posts
Not sure why you would want to remove them. There is not much else visible on the bike from the side at night. JMHO.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Yes to all. I removed mine AND went to black colored bolts, but there sure is not much other reflective material. I'm not convinced it would help much, but still.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thats what i was thinking RC, there is nothing on my black bike specially when it gets dark on the sides, i was actually thinking about buying some and installing them. Black bikes look good but the visabilty sucks. Now my red cbr you can see a mile away.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure why you would want to remove them. There is not much else visible on the bike from the side at night. JMHO.
I'm using Rim tape which gives a much bigger reflective area.

I took a picture at night with the bike lit up by the headlights of my old honda car. You can see how the bike itself doesn't exactly stand out but the rims are just as bright as the reflector.

CustomTaylor33 Rim Tape - Headlights by maniak_az, on Flickr

I'm using the tape from CustomTaylor33 which is really bright... I've had it on about a year now..

~Mark

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That works good maniak ill have to look into that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Took mine off on Friday. I finally managed to get to an Ace hardware that had stainless metric stuff.

I just spun off a reflect and brought it in with me...

I guess I could have just bought a couple factory bolts so the head would be the same size as the bottom ones, but even with the top bolt heads being smaller it still looks much better.

~Mark
Pop your passenger seat off. The 4 bolts that are under the seat that hold the rear fender assembly have the same head as the front fender bolts. Take 2 of those out and out the 2 from ACE under the seat where you will not see them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Old thread,,. I agree really poor reflectivity on the black bike if you remove these side reflectors,,. Night parking with the lights off, even a bit of contrast during the day,,.
Based on there design,(why round) it looks like Kawi didn't really want to have them either, probable an after thought due to regulations in North America,,. Z1000SX doesn't have these on the England bikes, looks a lot better?

Any alternatives to adding visibility besides the wheel tape? Perhaps rectangular like BMW,,Ducati!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm not sure removing the reflector is a great idea.

On the other hand, rim tape seems like the best way to make a black N1K visible from the side. I think adding maniak's rim tape does way more for visibility than the little orange side reflector.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Now that's an improvement,,.
How do the Ducati side reflectors attach, are they with a bolt,. Do they look as thou they would retro onto the existing OEM Kawi tail,,.
Ive shortened my tail and removed the rear reflector however I like the stability of the angular reflector cross pcs to use as a tie down for my tail bag,,.
Could do with out the round reflectors thou,. They seem to be really off in appearance to the rest of the design flow,,. Might try and source these?

Sure tempted to remove the fronts completely,,. Looks like all the Z1000SX's sold in Europe don't have either the fronts or the backs,,.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm not sure removing the reflector is a great idea.

On the other hand, rim tape seems like the best way to make a black N1K visible from the side. I think adding maniak's rim tape does way more for visibility than the little orange side reflector.
In case anyone was wondering if I'm an idiot, here's proof. My rear reflectors were removed when I installed the yoshimura fender eliminator kit. :confused: Good thing I'm telling everyone else it's not a good idea to removed them. :(

I hadn't noticed because I usually ride with my KQR side bags, which have their own side reflector. Wouldn't have noticed if rcannon hadn't pointed out the ducati license plate frame.

I will STFU now. ;)

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
The ducati thing is a one piece unit.

Side reflectors attach to the frame with those one use push nuts, and the rear dies, as well. The entire assembly would transfer over to your bike with the two license plate bolts.

Oddly enough , these are expensive on ebay. Not too bad if you order the pieces in, brand new. I do mean "pieces" as it comes all in parts.

You need the frame @ @20.00

Three [email protected] 7.00 each

And 6 push nuts @ .21 cents each.

Number plate holder. Fits: 2011 Ducati Superbike 1198 | Ducati Motorcycles of Jacksonville Parts

I like it because it makes the back end 100% legal. I was shaken down at one of those drunk driver checkpoints on my c 14. The officer did look for rear side reflectors. By chance, I had not removed them. He also looked for the rear reflector.

I don't like spending 40.00 on it, and it would be so easy to build for a plate manufacturer, but I dont know of any other way to do such a clean, easy, and legal job.

Lag, you are right about the fronts.The European bikes got the front, side reflectors this year as part of the euro 4 deal.

I wish I had a decent way to do the front sides without sticking with the stock set up. I wonder if Green reflective tape will do, or is red THE color?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Convinced me to add some rim tape to my grey-black Ninja.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Black Reflective 3M Scotchlite Tape. As for legality in place of colored reflectors on a motorcycle its untested, but as for Safety when it comes to visibility at night its unreal.

Reactions: novaks47
1 - 20 of 61 Posts