Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am collecting my Ninja 1000sx tourer in a weeks time. I have had a BMW S1000r sport for the past 3 years and I loved it to bits (it’s the longest I have every owned a bike), however, I wanted something different for a bit more touring and comfort. When I test rode the Ninja I was gobsmacked, I didnt expect it to be so quick and so flick able 👍 Kawasaki have definitely got it right and the deals on offer are excellent.
My only gripe was I found the wind buffeting a bit suprising. Any suggestions of a aftermarket screen or modification? I also want to change the stock exhaust can for something a bit fruitier, again any suggestions or experiences welcome. I hope to give a bit of a follow up when I’ve done a few miles, can’t wait.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Congrats and welcome.
I have three bikes. My 1000SX is what I call my “middle bike, meaning it fits between my FJR1300 sport touring bike and my CBR1000rr Super Sport.

Following backwards on the middle bikes. I have a 2020 Ninja 1000SX now, 2017 SuperdukeGT previous, 2016 S1000R previous to that, and 2011 Ninja 1000SX previous to that.

the S1000R was a great bike in many ways, but I thought it was lacking the refinement I expected. I’ve also owned two 1600GTs which had refinmeant but I got to a point I could not justify the cost of European bikes so I converted my entire fleet back to Japanese.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Congrats on getting the Ninja. It's a fantastic bike and probably the best value in the sport touring class considering the excellent electronics package and overall performance of the bike.

I have a 2013 that I bought new and it has been bullet proof. It has not given me one issue in 34,000 miles.

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
19 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, biggsjo
I am a newbie here like you. Yes, I found a bit of noise generated by the screen, no turbulence, just bearable noise.
I've noticed that the further up the screen is raised, the worse it gets. But at 80 KMH, if I place my left hand around my throat, the noise vanished.
Perhaps that's why Kawa included the quick shifter (lol) ?

Rob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Forum, biggsjo
I am a newbie here like you. Yes, I found a bit of noise generated by the screen, no turbulence, just bearable noise.
I've noticed that the further up the screen is raised, the worse it gets. But at 80 KMH, if I place my left hand around my throat, the noise vanished.
Perhaps that's why Kawa included the quick shifter (lol) ?

Rob.
80km hour😱😱 I thought you were supposed to stay in 3 figures😊

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats and welcome.
I have three bikes. My 1000SX is what I call my “middle bike, meaning it fits between my FJR1300 sport touring bike and my CBR1000rr Super Sport.

Following backwards on the middle bikes. I have a 2020 Ninja 1000SX now, 2017 SuperdukeGT previous, 2016 S1000R previous to that, and 2011 Ninja 1000SX previous to that.

the S1000R was a great bike in many ways, but I thought it was lacking the refinement I expected. I’ve also owned two 1600GTs which had refinmeant but I got to a point I could not justify the cost of European bikes so I converted my entire fleet back to Japanese.
As someone interested in the Ninja 1000 and SuperDuke GT, why did you sell the superduke GT? Did you like it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I thought the wind protection was better on the stock ZX14 I test rode compared to my N1000 with a Puig Racing Screen in position two that is both wider and taller than the stock screen.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As someone interested in the Ninja 1000 and SuperDuke GT, why did you sell the superduke GT? Did you like it?
I liked it, but admit that the issues associated with it being a 1290 twin bothered me. Below 4,000 RPM it was not happy. It didn't stop me from putting 32,000 miles on it in just over two years. I have no regrets getting it. And if I had the funds to buy all the bikes I want, I could see wanting another in my collection.

My ultimate reason for getting rid of it was that I retired and knew I would be putting a lot of miles on my bikes, and not wanting to trade them every couple of years. I converted all three of my bikes from European to what I consider to be bulletproof Japanese bikes. I want to be able to rack up lots of miles without worrying about reliability and losing more money on a $20,000 bike than a $12,000 bike.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My ultimate reason for getting rid of it was that I retired and knew I would be putting a lot of miles on my bikes, and not wanting to trade them every couple of years. I converted all three of my bikes from European to what I consider to be bulletproof Japanese bikes. I want to be able to rack up lots of miles without worrying about reliability and losing more money on a $20,000 bike than a $12,000 bike.
This has always been my reasoning for buying Japanese motorcycles. I think for most people they make the most sense to own as they offer plenty of performance along with superior long term reliability. Parts are affordable and easy to source as well.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I subscribe to a bunch of the uk magazines. Mostly because we dont have any american ones. One thing I've noticed is their tests never focus on the bikes cost. This happened over the last few years.

When they talk "pricing" it's always like, "Kawasaki has a special on this bike. 3000 down, 36,000 maximum mileage, 142.00 per month." At the 36 month mark, you trade the bike in, and start over. Not really a lease, is it? That's more like a baloon payment, I suppose as a person has a huge balance to pay if they decide to keep the bike.
It's crazy because a lot of times, people there could pay the same monthly payments for a Ducati as they would for a ninja 1000, and the stories very much focus on that idea..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mate and I had a good blast out today. His ZZR1400 is new as well. I’ve clocked up a couple of hundred miles now and I have to say the Ninja 1000 is amazing. I had my BMW S1000r for nearly 4 years and I was unsure about changing as I loved it, but the Ninja is definitely up there with it. It’s early days and I really want to get the first service out of the way so I can stretch the Ninjas legs. I can’t wait to do some touring next year. Happy days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts