Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I notice a fault with my t rex sliders...

Strong, very strong..check.

Good material...check...

Any sort of flex, or hard hit, sends bracket into engines cylinder...check..In a slow speed hit, probably ok.

This pic shows what I don't like. I hope no one else knows the violence when a machine hits the ground. Even at 30mph, its enough to give you nightmares for years to come.

I'd be afraid of what would happen to the cam chain tension if that bolt got ripped out.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Thats funny that you say that....yes, the guard is sitting right next to the cyl/head assembly. Any sort of hard hit will make contact.

That bolt, itself, is the bolt hole to nowhere. Its not the tensioner, as the tensioner is between cyl 2 and 3, and is larger..a real assembly.

I wondered if ti might be a threaded hole used during manufacture? Still, a guard hitting it cant be a good thing?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Without frame sliders, I fear for the pla$tic$ on a low speed drop. For me, after a hit as hard as youre discussing, it would be time for a new bike regardless of sliders. Im running TRex old style frame and fork sliders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you're going fast enough to make the frame sliders somehow cause serious damage,you are going fast enough to cause serious damage anyways, and take the insurance buyout.

Keeping my sliders on thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Agree with mrphotoman, but have we seen any for the ninja 1000 that would hit before the plastic does? More accurately, hit and keep the plastic from hitting the ground.

The t rex models I have? I dont see that happening, or i do believe there would be some plastic damage.

·
Registered
965 Posts
That bolt, itself, is the bolt hole to nowhere. Its not the tensioner, as the tensioner is between cyl 2 and 3, and is larger..a real assembly.

I wondered if ti might be a threaded hole used during manufacture? Still, a guard hitting it cant be a good thing?

That upper bolt is one of two bolts that position the cam chain guide on the opposite side from the tensioner. I'm not sure how much clearance is there but I would bet if you broke / removed that bolt, at a minimum you wouldn't be able to get a new one in there without pulling / resetting the tensioner first. Worst case is the cam timing would change enough to cause other more significant problems

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Chrispy, your right, and its in the manual....

With that in mind, the t rex sliders are almost too risky to use.

They are strong, but still, a hit that jammed the bolt, or ????? (its an accident, right) Great idea????

·
Registered
318 Posts
I like my SW Motechs... solid mounting to several bolts and they stick out pretty good. Still though, sliders aren't meant to protect the plastic, they are mean to keep the frame and hard parts from hitting IMO

·
Registered
965 Posts
Chrispy, your right, and its in the manual....

With that in mind, the t rex sliders are almost too risky to use.

They are strong, but still, a hit that jammed the bolt, or ????? (its an accident, right) Great idea????

Personally, I'd be afraid of what would happen to that bolt if it tipped over in the garage, let alone an accident.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I like my SW Motechs... solid mounting to several bolts and they stick out pretty good. Still though, sliders aren't meant to protect the plastic, they are mean to keep the frame and hard parts from hitting IMO
Keep in mind, more than a few people have had relatively slow speed get offs on the Ninja 1000 and it's pretty common to hear about damaged engine covers leaking enough oil the bike can't be ridden, regardless of the type of frame slider.

The only thing that really works are the stunter cages. If I were to get another naked bike, that would be the way to go for the ultimate protection.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah - the ninja's engine cases definitely poke out a bit. Axle sliders along with the frame sliders may help? Not sure... Maybe wouldn't help.

Agreed on the cage - they make one for the Z - not sure if it fits the ninja. I think there are some aftermarket case covers too for either side that are a bit beefier too.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Personally, I'd be afraid of what would happen to that bolt if it tipped over in the garage, let alone an accident.
Honestly, I don think this is a concern.

Why? In looking at the guards, and imagining the bike on its side, I see the exhaust and turn signals hitting way sooner than the T rex guards.

Which makes me question them being on in the first place. If the plastic and exhaust was damaged, did we save anything?

A no speed, garage tip wont hit the engine, anyway.

So, if they factor in at high speed. Maybe you do save the frame, but the guard pushes into this bolt, or damages the cylinder?

I see my bench getting two new paperweights.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yeah - the ninja's engine cases definitely poke out a bit. Axle sliders along with the frame sliders may help? Not sure... Maybe wouldn't help.

Agreed on the cage - they make one for the Z - not sure if it fits the ninja. I think there are some aftermarket case covers too for either side that are a bit beefier too.

I have the Motech's and I like them but I know that certain crash situations, they won't be good. But in a low slide, I think (hope?) they will help.

I also have the TRex engine covers. I wish I could recommend them but they don't fit well as delivered and had to be modded quite a bit to make them fit. But, they are there now and will likely hold up well in a crash.

The R&G engine covers are probably the best all around protection.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I have the Motech's and I like them but I know that certain crash situations, they won't be good. But in a low slide, I think (hope?) they will help.

I also have the TRex engine covers. I wish I could recommend them but they don't fit well as delivered and had to be modded quite a bit to make them fit. But, they are there now and will likely hold up well in a crash.

I keep e mailing gb racing, but so far, bothing. I like their covers for other bikes.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I thought about the rg racing models..they are my second choice.

I saw a bike slide that had the gb racing models, and was 100% sold on that brand, but may have to go with rg's

The gb' look like great fitting t-Rex models....that is, on bikes they fit.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Chrispy, the t rex sliders I have need to be shoved up someones..axx.....

Over the winter, I'll get the covers you linked to.

GB racing says the z 1000/ninja covers are on their "to do" list, but who knows how long that will be?

With the new ninja 1000 and the z 900 using the "same" motor, thats a good sign, a hope for the future, but I need something now, so the rg's will have to do.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Unfortunately, anything that pokes out too much will either catch and fling the bike or snap off. I think the SW's, while they won't save the bodywork, they will keep the frame and other expensive bits off the ground. I can confirm that they don't help keep the case covers off the ground though.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The economics are not there,,. By the time you add the costs of hi quality sliders,, engine covers,, axle sliders and still have to replace the bar ends and signal light in a minor tip over its hardly worth the effort,,. Ive put some less expensive single bolt off set ones from Hong Kong (they are pretty long and actually seem well made) but I have since wondered about possible frame in a higher speed drop,,.

If you do a lot of stunting around it might be wise to buy an after market complete set of fairings,,. Put the OEM stuff in a box and you have replacement parts or you can put the original stuff back on to sell the bike,,. Cheaper in the long run then the HQ slider options,,.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.