Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Akirsch, I've seen that, too.

It's one of those choice things. If you want to protect your bike in a slow sped, garage drop, they might help. However, at fast speeds, the same guard may rip loose and damage frame mounts.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I notice a fault with my t rex sliders...

Strong, very strong..check.

Good material...check...

Any sort of flex, or hard hit, sends bracket into engines cylinder...check..In a slow speed hit, probably ok.

This pic shows what I dont like. I hope no one else knows the violence when a machine hits the ground. Even at 30mph, its enough to give you nightmares for years to come.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Thats funny that you say that....yes, the guard is sitting right next to the cyl/head assembly. Any sort of hard hit will make contact.

That bolt, itself, is the bolt hole to nowhere. Its not the tensioner, as the tensioner is between cyl 2 and 3, and is larger..a real assembly.

I wondered if ti might be a threaded hole used during manufacture? Still, a guard hitting it cant be a good thing?

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Agree with mrphotoman, but have we seen any for the ninja 1000 that would hit before the plastic does? More accurately, hit and keep the plastic from hitting the ground.

The t rex models I have? I dont see that happening, or i do believe there would be some plastic damage.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Chrispy, your right, and its in the manual....

With that in mind, the t rex sliders are almost too risky to use.

They are strong, but still, a hit that jammed the bolt, or ????? (its an accident, right) Great idea????

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Personally, I'd be afraid of what would happen to that bolt if it tipped over in the garage, let alone an accident.
Honestly, I don think this is a concern.

Why? In looking at the guards, and imagining the bike on its side, I see the exhaust and turn signals hitting way sooner than the T rex guards.

Which makes me question them being on in the first place. If the plastic and exhaust was damaged, did we save anything?

A no speed, garage tip wont hit the engine, anyway.

So, if they factor in at high speed. Maybe you do save the frame, but the guard pushes into this bolt, or damages the cylinder?

I see my bench getting two new paperweights.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I have the Motech's and I like them but I know that certain crash situations, they won't be good. But in a low slide, I think (hope?) they will help.

I also have the TRex engine covers. I wish I could recommend them but they don't fit well as delivered and had to be modded quite a bit to make them fit. But, they are there now and will likely hold up well in a crash.

The R&G engine covers are probably the best all around protection.
I keep e mailing gb racing, but so far, bothing. I like their covers for other bikes.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I thought about the rg racing models..they are my second choice.

I saw a bike slide that had the gb racing models, and was 100% sold on that brand, but may have to go with rg's

The gb' look like great fitting t-Rex models....that is, on bikes they fit.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Chrispy, the t rex sliders I have need to be shoved up someones..axx.....

Over the winter, I'll get the covers you linked to.

GB racing says the z 1000/ninja covers are on their "to do" list, but who knows how long that will be?

With the new ninja 1000 and the z 900 using the "same" motor, thats a good sign, a hope for the future, but I need something now, so the rg's will have to do.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Chrispy, look at this pic. It the t rex guards I have, but mine dont have this upper attachment point...going right into the hole we talked about.

Its been updated since I bought mine. This looks like a worse idea than before.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Sucba, your pics show what the problem is. We dont have any solid spots to mount to, and Im not at all ok with putting force into the engine block.

These use a support pad. T rex uses material carved form train rails, but the issue is not solved by either guard.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Yes, I trust yours way more than my t rex set up. T rex lacks support and tries to make up for it in thickness.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Good news. I sent GB racing and asked about the ninja/z1000 covers. Heres the response they sent back.

Hello Roland I have pleasure informing you that we are about to start developing the covers for the Z1000 / SX but please be patient as the process is not a 5 minute one.
We have invested in a state of the art mobile scanner which I hope to take delivery of in the next 2 weeks and then the process starts which should see the whole project run last about 2 months.

This is very cool. Their covers are second to none. Great looks and great protection. The first ones I'm willing to pay for, anyway. Something like this, Id suspect.

GB Racing Engine Cover Set Yamaha FZ09 MT09 2014 2016 XSR900 2016 Secondary Engine Cover Set Four Pieces

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Angelo, it's not a Good listing.

That listing has been bad for five years. They are listing zx10r covers as fitting the ninja 1000.

If you search the part number, it's zx10r, and even gb racing....well, I doubt he would tell me a few months out if he had them in stock, right?

Don't even ask how I know, or why the idiots keep them up there despite my returning a set that did not fit.

I told them, buthey they did not fix it.

Glad you found it before someone orders them.

We should all order sets and return them. Perhaps they might fix the listing if they had 30 returned sets?

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Yes, me too.

Hopefully, we will sèe real gb racing covers by spring.

I was sold on the brand after watching world Superbike. The cbr 1000 rider lost his bike, in a turn. The bike had to slide 100yards,,or more.

He ran towards the machine, picked it up, and was riding again. After the show, they showed the bike. The covers were damaged, but the engien looked perfect.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
MM, glad you are ok, but do we really have guards when the engine ends up damaged? I hate the idea of that.

At slow speed, when we pick the bike up we should see a damaged guard, and thats it.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
Chrispy, right on. And when our metal engine covers end up damaged, it's just luck that let's us ride home. That's not how guards should work.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
I just added the rg racing case covers.

Not sure it made sense. I can buy new covers for 40.00, eBay, and the plastic covers are 88.50 each...oh well

I do like their mounting system. What the pictures don't show is a sleeve, and a bushing that replaces three cover bolts. It's sturdy.

I'm thinking of remowing my T-Rex frame guards. I think they are so sturdy, it would be possible to damage the frame...and , they won't do a thing for low speed crash. There would still be fairing damage.

There are several videos showing bikes tumbling when the pucks are added. They catch, then flip the bike. Damage to both sides, instead of one side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.