Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add frame sliders to my '14 N1k. A couple sets I like are the SW-Motech and the R&G. For reasons that are purely personal, I like the aero style better than the tubular shapes like Shogun. Anybody have likes or dislikes, or actually had to go down on one ? My initial bias is towards the SW-Motech because it's $120 cheaper than the R&G.
Comments ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Which frame sliders did you end up going with? Do you still like them? I worried that the large size of the puck on the SW Motech would hinder airflow and look unpleasant. I'm curious as to your experience if you ended up installing them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't bought either because of other pressing issues, like the hard seat. That's got to be done first, but both the SW-Motech and the R&G would be good. I just want one with 2 point mounting that's well made. I did a little crash last spring, but luckily it was a water landing with no damage. I do want the slider protection though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Went with the LSL sliders which I ordered thru Holeshot.com. Like the looks, no fairing removal required, and hopefully I'll never need them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ended up going with the R&G after I was able to find them on eBay for $170. I really like the way they installed and how they look. I'm with you as far as having more than one mounting point to spread the crash forces.

Water landing crash? wow. I had a low end slide on the right side. Only plastic rash but it cost about $800 to replace hence I got the sliders. Doubt they will protect the plastic but at least they'll protect the engine parts.... hopefully

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up going with the R&G after I was able to find them on eBay for $170. I really like the way they installed and how they look. I'm with you as far as having more than one mounting point to spread the crash forces.

Water landing crash? wow. I had a low end slide on the right side. Only plastic rash but it cost about $800 to replace hence I got the sliders. Doubt they will protect the plastic but at least they'll protect the engine parts.... hopefully
Haha, yeah, thought I was drowned for a second. Took us hours to get it going after the retrieval.
If I can find the R&Gs on Ebay for $170 I'll buy them too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
oh man. It was purely a lucky moment for me. Ebay only had 2 of them available, so they must have sold the other one. I was worried about shenanigans, but they arrived on time and installed perfectly so I can't complain.

But now that they are in place I think the more discreet the better. I'm glad I didn't get the SW motech or the Puig Pro because the larger puck would have been a little unsightly IMHO.

If I had to do it over again and the R&Gs weren't available, I probably would have gone with a tubular set that mounted in two spots, say, like the Satos or equivalent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had to do it over again and the R&Gs weren't available, I probably would have gone with a tubular set that mounted in two spots, say, like the Satos or equivalent.
My Kawasaki guru told me he's seen engine mount bolts broke from landing hard on those single bolt type slider mounts. I tend to believe that considering how far a mount point would be from the center of the slider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just returned from the service shop and they told me don't install frame sliders as they've seen that causing serious frame damage which totals the bike
Advised to use engine cover instead and just give up an idea to protect the plastic (they said the choice is like plastic vs bike frame).

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
Akirsch, I've seen that, too.

It's one of those choice things. If you want to protect your bike in a slow sped, garage drop, they might help. However, at fast speeds, the same guard may rip loose and damage frame mounts.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Since every moto accident is different, it's a big fat "it depends". They may do more harm than good, or they may save your moto from loads of damage. I've seen both instances, where the slider acts like a leveraging arm, and breaks the frame. I've also seen where the bike went down hard and fast, and slider got ground down, with the majority of the moto left unharmed.

I think a lot of it has to do with how it's mounted. It has to be strong enough to not snap off from a hit, but if it's too strong, it'll break the frame. The mounts I see for the Ninja, use a plate-type mount, and the slider attaches to the plate. So the slider isn't directly tied to the frame, and the mount is aluminum, so if it hits hard enough, that'll snap instead. If you must have sliders, make sure the slider itself is Delrin, or some other type of plastic. It'll slide easier, and will break off before the frame breaks(hopefully). Of course, that grade 8 or higher bolt is still there, in the frame, lol.

For me, it comes down to the simple fact that if you wreck while going fast enough, nothing will save the bike. Street bikes, even if no frame damage occurs, are rarely ride-able after hitting the ground at anything above 35mph. Even if the frame is saved, it can still be easily totaled too. I figure that if it hits the pavement, it's done, a write off. So, I'd rather run without having to look at the things. If protection is of the utmost priority, well, that's what stunt cages are for, lol.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I asked this same question to the dealership salesman who sold me my N1K. He's a former road racer and has a lot of experience. His feelings about frame sliders were right on the borderline. Basically he said some situations they can make worse, and some they can make better. We both looked at the Kawasaki frame sliders and he said these ones leaned a little on the good side. They're beveled so no 90 degree corners to catch. They're some sort of plastic, maybe even Delrin. They don't mount directly to the frame. Rather they have a bracket that is held on by two bolts, one of which is bolted through a rubber damper. Lastly the bolt holding the actual slider in place is not a gigantic bolt. I don't know the diameter, but in a high speed crash this thing will likely snap off without inducing any angular momentum. I think the main drawback with the Kawasaki ones is the price. They were over $300.

I put a picture of the assembly in my album. Here's a link to it.
http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/members/ishikawa-albums-frame+sliders-picture1937-20160312-193822-1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
We both looked at the Kawasaki frame sliders...They don't mount directly to the frame. Rather they have a bracket that is held on by two bolts, one of which is bolted through a rubber damper. Lastly the bolt holding the actual slider in place is not a gigantic bolt. I don't know the diameter, but in a high speed crash this thing will likely snap off without inducing any angular momentum. I think the main drawback with the Kawasaki ones is the price. They were over $300.

I put a picture of the assembly in my album. Here's a link to it.
http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/members/ishikawa-albums-frame+sliders-picture1937-20160312-193822-1.jpg
Hmm...Ishi, this seems to make sense. The fact that they use a mounting bracket should make them more frame-friendly in the event of a crash. I have the Shogun carbon finish sliders and they look awesome but are a direct bolt-on mounting. More potential for harm there.

Sato sliders also use a mounting bracket and they cost 'only' US$ 180 or so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought the cheap $40 sliders from Ebay, no complaints but haven't crashed tested them. I did have to mount them at an angle so they didn't touch the fairing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey GhostRider,

Funny you should mention the fairing. The Kawasaki frame sliders actually required a small cut in both sides of the fairing. I was a little freaked out about it, but it's in a place you never really see. That bracket would touch the fairing and push it out if the cut wasn't there. Let's see if I can get another picture up in heeya'.

There were some hash marks on the inside of the fairing to show where to cut, so it wasn't as daunting as it could have been. I cut it with a hot knife attachment on my soldering iron. For what it got me, I'm pretty happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hmm...Ishi, this seems to make sense. The fact that they use a mounting bracket should make them more frame-friendly in the event of a crash. I have the Shogun carbon finish sliders and they look awesome but are a direct bolt-on mounting. More potential for harm there.

Sato sliders also use a mounting bracket and they cost 'only' US$ 180 or so.
Yes, the mounting bracket, and the built in flexing of the bracket/damper should protect the engine/frame in the event the bike has a medium/soft hit. In a hard hit, like RC said, the bike is probably totalled anyway. I figured I had a high probability of dropping the bike sometime in the first year. I was a new rider and getting my road wits may not have come fast enough. I feel much more confident on the bike now, but I am in no rush to take these off.

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
I notice a fault with my t rex sliders...

Strong, very strong..check.

Good material...check...

Any sort of flex, or hard hit, sends bracket into engines cylinder...check..In a slow speed hit, probably ok.

This pic shows what I dont like. I hope no one else knows the violence when a machine hits the ground. Even at 30mph, its enough to give you nightmares for years to come.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I notice a fault with my t rex sliders...

Strong, very strong..check.

Good material...check...

Any sort of flex, or hard hit, sends bracket into engines cylinder...check..In a slow speed hit, probably ok.

This pic shows what I dont like. I hope no one else knows the violence when a machine hits the ground. Even at 30mph, its enough to give you nightmares for years to come.
Yes, I can see that slider transferring some force right to the block. Without gloating, I should say I see why the kawasaki ones are more expensive.

When I had my first high side at flat track racing, I was really surprised by the violence of my hit. I don't think I was doing much more than 25mph, maybe 28 mph. When I got my senses I swore I had a cracked rib or something. Turns out my (rental) body armor did its job. I bought some upgraded dirt bike armor the next day. It doesn't take much for a bike fall to turn into carnage. I can only imagine how much worse a fall like mine would be with the 500lb N1K going my typical 30-45 mph.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ishi, I'd say it is okay to gloat :p:D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts