Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally got a brand new set of slip-on pipes for my '16 Ninja 1000. Before the righteous lot go up in arms, no, I deliberately did not eliminate the C-Con or the resonator as I do not want a piercing howl ringing in my ears on a 400km ride of which I plan to do many! I did not like the look of the stock cans and for me the sound was just not enough. For now, I do not want more power and I certainly did not want to go down the route of installing a PC or similar product. I did not even want to change the air filter to a free flow one. Had done it all on my 650, so no more.

These are the G&G Moto2 slip-on pipes, shipped from the Netherlands and cost me under $600 including shipment and customs duty (in carbon fibre finish). The sound is really deep but soft, does not overpower your eardrums though you can certainly hear them from a distance. The bike is still in the break-in period so no WOT run, I haven't crossed 6k on the rpms so can't comment on the sound in the upper range of the revs. But its a deep bass, soft and rounded kind of sound. I dig. Big time. And I just love the aggressive sweep up toward the heavens. 'Nuf said.

Attachments

Reactions: novaks47

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I also got rid of the black heat-shield-cum-cosmetic strip that screws on just below the silver portion of the side fairing, from the mid-pipe area to the upper end of the link pipes. Saved some weight and I rather like the exposed look. Less is more.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
That is a cool exhaust. That lower piece sure is odd, is'nt it? Looks like an afterthought. Mine is on the wall, too.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, RC. What I liked was that the install was a breeze, everything clicks into place easily, so to speak. Also, the bike does not sputter even a tiny bit so the air-fuel mix is still spot-on with this exhaust. I had though that I may need a free flow air filter for that but mighty pleased that I don't. The engine purrs smooth as silk. Nice.

Next project for this week - the Metzeler M7 RR's!!

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Mr b, the restriction in our exhaust is the header. The inner diameter is too small.

This makes your mod a non issue for fueling, which is nice.

Do the Ivan reflash when you can. Serious, it's incredible.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RC, I know that manufacturers keep the header pipes double- or triple-walled so that the chrome on the outside pipe will not get hot and turn colours. A bit silly. While header diameter is an important factor in exhaust system design because it sets the torque curve, it is also true that larger diameter improves top-end power at the expense of low-end torque. For optimum performance, pipe diameter, length and design are critical. Larger pipe diameters and shorter lengths improve high rpm operation, while smaller diameters and longer lengths favour bottom-end power. So, you mod the different components of the exhaust system depending on where on the RPM band you want to boost your bike's performance.

As for Ivan's, I don't see how I can do it. I'm in India and sending the ECU from here would mean not riding for maybe a month. That's third degree.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
RC, I know that manufacturers keep the header pipes double- or triple-walled so that the chrome on the outside pipe will not get hot and turn colours. A bit silly. While header diameter is an important factor in exhaust system design because it sets the torque curve, it is also true that larger diameter improves top-end power at the expense of low-end torque. For optimum performance, pipe diameter, length and design are critical. Larger pipe diameters and shorter lengths improve high rpm operation, while smaller diameters and longer lengths favour bottom-end power. So, you mod the different components of the exhaust system depending on where on the RPM band you want to boost your bike's performance.

As for Ivan's, I don't see how I can do it. I'm in India and sending the ECU from here would mean not riding for maybe a month. That's third degree.
Bikran, yes to what you said about header diameters, but on this specific bike, they are too small..end of story sort of thing. You'll gain low , mid and high with a larger diameter.

These are not double wall. Yes, they do that often, but not here.

Of course, you are right , in general. This is just some odd, specific stuff with this bike.

Its too bad because the stock header is quiet, and I liked that, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts