Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ninja 1000 Metallic Spark Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weigh about 300Ibs and got this to help accommodate my larger size. On the second to last preload adjustment point the bike still has about 70mm of sag and my mechanic said it should be around 30mm. I'm going to contact Race Tech this week to see what they suggest I do for my suspension on the rear whether that be getting a custom spring that is stiffer or just getting their heavier universal one and adding an extra adapter or two to stiffen it up at the expense of some travel.

According to Race Techs website our stock spring rate is 9.6Kg and this spring is weighted at 10.7 Kg so it's a good bit larger. From what I've read on the forums the stock bike is setup for someone who weighs a maximum of 180 or so so I think this spring would likely be good for someone around 250Ibs. Someone with more knowledge could probably provide a more accurate answer. I payed about $120 for the spring on eBay and an additional $50 (25$ for adapter and 25$ for shipping to Oklahoma) for the adapter which has to be ordered straight from Race Tech. I also had it powder coated red for $40 although color is subjective. It came in Blue which I'm not real sure matches any color schemes on the N1K so I feel red was a decent universal choice. I've got about $210 in it total and I'd like $120 for the spring and adapter plus shipping. I just had it installed on 3/27/21 and only have about 200 miles on it. I'll be removing it as soon I have the new replacement which will likely be in 1-2 weeks. I can provide pictures of it later on this evening. Feel free to ask any questions.
Spring: SRSP 5818107
Adapters: SPSC B5855N
SPSC P575212

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Before you buy anything else, I would contact Traxxion Dynamics and have them solve this issue. They can rebuild the shock, with the correct spring, for about 350.

Race Techs web site is not accurate. Also, if you are changing spring rates by that much, the stock shocks damping with be dangerous...not just incorrect, dangerous. Compressing that spring enough to give you the correct ride height would also be dangerous, and it wont make the spring any stiffer when you do that.

I dont know how or why they have strange numbers. One thought was their "spring rates" are based around their Gold Valve? Who knows, but dont ever spend money based on their web site info.

·
Registered
2012 Ninja 1000 Metallic Spark Black
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Traxxion finally got back with me and said they shouldn't have any problem making something for my weight. I'm ordering a used shock off eBay and then letting them rebuild that one so I can
1. Preserve my original for future resell
2. Reduce down time.
I'm kicking myself in the *** for not getting my suspension straightened up before spring but I'm still excited to ride with my rebuilt shock and resprung forks and see how it changes the bike. All of that with an added Ivan tune should really make everything a lot smoother. Did I mention I'm excited? 😁

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
You know, as this bike evolved, it's pretty obvious that the suspension improved as did the engine performance. Not so much more power, but for sure better low speed manners.

Yes, you should be excited. You are going to have a really nice bike when you are finished with these two mods. Ivan and Traxxion both have about 10 years worth of knowledge tuning this platform. I dont think there is a better choice to be made.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts