Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna try to snag a ride on a new N1K to see how mine stacks up once and for all.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Report back. The new Ninja has some noticeable improvements, but you'll likely like your heavily modded Ninja better.
I rode the 2021 recently thanks to a fellow forum member, and I liked it more than my '18.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Report back. The new Ninja has some noticeable improvements, but you'll likely like your heavily modded Ninja better.
I rode the 2021 recently thanks to a fellow forum member, and I liked it more than my '18.
Interestingly the 2020/21 was slated to have a thicker / plusher seat from factory negating the need for the gel seats - My SO isn't happy on the pillion seat so I tried to get a gel set and was told there are none available for 3 mths and pre 2020/21 are not compatible - Friend in town has a 2017 SX and a gel seat we tried his and it fits - I found a 2019 seat 2nd hand hardly used for less than half the price of new - The SO hasn't tried the pillion yet but I actually prefer the standard seat over the gel. Seats a personal choice of course :)

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
And we expect one of your full unbiased reviews of the new stock Ninja vs your fully upgraded and customized mount. :)

Hope you get the chance to really ride it. Our Kawi ride days are always supervised, lead rider, sweeper rider, freeway stretch, 2 lane stretch, no real twisties, no chance to "air it out". Of course, when I first turned on the key I was thrilled with the biggest improvement: I COULD ACTUALLY READ THE DISPLAY at a glance! This was vs the '17-'19's horrible display.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was REALLY hoping for a "real" test ride. Follow the schmuck for 3 minutes isn't gonna cut it.

You should see the display on my 675. I didn't think it was possible to put things that tiny on a bike display.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, no test ride for me today. It's follow the morons only so I guess I'll have to wait until someone I know gets a new N1K.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Yeah, I was REALLY hoping for a "real" test ride. Follow the schmuck for 3 minutes isn't gonna cut it.

You should see the display on my 675. I didn't think it was possible to put things that tiny on a bike display.
Sorry about the test ride but having been on a couple in few years it's what I expected. At least it was somewhat of a suspension test because I immediately jumped on my bike and re-rode the same roads.

Text size on the '18 isn't the issue. It's the medium gray on black background with a highly reflective plastic cover over the whole thing. Given how much more readable my Honda LCD displays were over 20 years ago there's NO excuse for the poor Kawasaki display. It's the real reason I got my black brake reservoir cover. All I had on the right side of the display was a bright white reflection of the reservoir.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, no test ride for me today. It's follow the morons only so I guess I'll have to wait until someone I know gets a new N1K.
This will be due to insurance I bet - the second problem is very few dealers will get demo bikes now with such stock shortages - We have one only Demo here a ZX 10 he has had for a while - Otherwise its best guess and you can have a sit on it :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry about the test ride but having been on a couple in few years it's what I expected. At least it was somewhat of a suspension test because I immediately jumped on my bike and re-rode the same roads.

Text size on the '18 isn't the issue. It's the medium gray on black background with a highly reflective plastic cover over the whole thing. Given how much more readable my Honda LCD displays were over 20 years ago there's NO excuse for the poor Kawasaki display. It's the real reason I got my black brake reservoir cover. All I had on the right side of the display was a bright white reflection of the reservoir.
It's interesting how almost any brand other than Japanese will let you take a bike out by yourself. This is what sold me on Triumphs. That and the fact that I absolutely love triples. Edit: As Minlak pointed out, I did forget about the fact that these damned shortages definitely play into this.

That sucks about the display on your N1K. It's unfortunate that Kawi seems to be dropping the ball on a lot of stuff with their newer models. Like the new engineering team on the project isn't very good yet.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Companies usually put their best people on the strategic priority projects they see for the future. Look at Boeing, they saw big profits in the space program several years ago and guess where their best people went. Then look at where the the commercial airlines division went. 737 Max ring a bell? How about years of delay on the 787 Dreamliner? OK, not quite that simple but folks I know within the company indicate that's what it looks like to them.

So, if management believes the future of Kawasaki lies in electric vehicles, what are their best folks thinking about? Where's the biggest investment going?

I didn't realize the guided ride was just a Kawasaki thing. I thought it was just old days vs now. Back in the day I remember a dealer telling me "We close at 6PM. Be back before then." I also remember taking my bike in for an all day service and being told, "Pick one of these bikes as a loner." Virtually every used bike they had on the lot + a few demo bikes. No more. Can't even get a dealer to give me a ride home while they're going to do a $$$$ service for me. Dealership? Times?

I can't even speculate on what the new "normal" is going to be after/if the effects of this pandemic finally die down.

Reactions: WiremanJohn

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Then look at where the the commercial airlines division went. 737 Max ring a bell? How about years of delay on the 787 Dreamliner?
Don't remind me. That cost me quite a bit. Dam that max.

The talent chases the money. Or the money is thrown at where the talent is best used. If you're supposition is correct, the turds are going to be left to deal with the internal combustion engines.

·
Premium Member
13,536 Posts
Demos never really happened for Japanese bikes. First, they sold too many different models to make it possible. If you just sold Kawasakis, you would need a z125, ninja 400, the naked 400, a ninja650, naked 650, versus 300, 650 and 1000. Ninja 1000, zh2, h2sx and im sure I left out the cruisers. Z900, z900rs...any of those bikes might suit your needs, but it's not like riding the demo z900 would help you understand how the ninja might feel.

That's a whole showroom of bikes that become halfway worthless as soon as it goes out on a test. Letting people ride them, first, might have sold a few more bikes, but not as many as you would imagine.

You could also work that to an advantage when you told the buyer, "Your bike wont have 13 miles on it when you take possession. " At the time, new BMW bikes had 13 miles on the odometer, from the factory. You made it sound like the bike they compared yours to was a demo. Or, telling them the truth. The other companies had to offer demos to sell bikes. Overpriced, over rated. We help keep prices down by not making our customers pay for them demo program and we only sell our new bikes as new. Not demo.

The demo thing was on the list to overcome, but it wasnt item number 1.

There were way more sales lost in the credit finance office than lack of demo rides. Credit scores that will get you a car will get you tossed out of a motorcycle shop. If you owned a shop, that would be the direction to look at. Harley has this mastered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts