Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Followup for anyone removing the purge valve & carbon canister from their Ninja 1000s.
Thanks to OCL for his link to the Ninja 400 post.

The mod went exactly as described: cut the resistor legs and bend them so they fit right into the purge valve connector. I finished it off with a piece of black electrical tape to seal the socket & resistor.
The resistor value seems not to be critical. I didn't have a 680 ohm resistor so I used a 560 ohm. Worked just the same.
Note: It takes 3-4 normal restarts to reset the engine fault indicator on the '17-'19 Ninjas.

Now I have lots of room and even a threaded bracket to mount a real horn to.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is there any other benefit to doing this other than the space being made available?

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Advantages? Not really, unless you wanted more fuel capacity, and I'm being halfway lame when I say that. But, the canister is for the fuel vapor. If it's in place, and you overfill the tank, the fuel gets hot and makes it's way into the canister. That ruins the canister, and the smell of fuel is pretty bad.

Once its removed, I was able to pack a few tenths more fuel onto the bike and not fear that canister getting flooded. I didnt notice anything different in the way the bike ran, sounded, or responded.

I had pretty well ignored the canister. I had never even overfilled the tank. You can see how this is possible. The california bikes have an extension in the filer area. If you fill to the bottom of this extension, the tank is only 80-90% full. Even with that in mind, my canister was heavy. It was full of fuel. I was glad to have it gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts