Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever transition from an FJR1300 to a Ninja 1000 or vice versa? If so, why and what did you see as advantages/disadvantages for your decision.
Lee

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
I've ridden the fjr, and its like a less powerful, and less sporting concours 14. Both are ancient. Yamaha has made that same basic bike since 2001. Its seen small upgrades, but it's an 01 bike. The Kawasaki is at least 5 yrs newer.

You can look at power figures and weights, but that's not the story . You can't measure the smoothness and refinement that those two touring bikes have. They carry passengers like you cant believe.

Neither really compare to the ninja. The ninja is a small, naked bike that kawasaki slapped a small fairing on. Somehow that placed it into the touring bike category. Not that you cant tour on it, but compared to an fjr, it's doing it the hard way.

I dont like either one, much, even though I have one. For me, both reach that level of making me wonder why in not in a car.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
You know, a short way to say my thoughts would have been to say it's not a "vs" situation, it's an "in addition to" a the bikes are all so good, with no serious faults. It's not fair to criticize a big, heavy touring bike for being large, or a smaller, lighter bike for not being very comfortable.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I should've added my reason for asking but was looking for some general thoughts.

As much as I've enjoyed my modded N1K these past 7 years, my 15 yr. old daughter has recently expressed an interest in riding w/me. I don't care what anyone says, the N1K is not a good passenger bike, especially if you're... mmmm... beefy, like me. So I started shopping and narrowed my search to the Versys 1000, the FJR1300 and for an oddball selection and the only HD product I've ever really liked, the Sportster XL1200T. Let me also clarify I almost never buy new bikes so a bike like Yamaha's Tracer 900 GT is not under any consideration.

I recently test-sat a V1K and while it seems like a nice bike, it only fit me slightly better than my modded N1K. I'm quite certain, however, that it would accomodate my daughter far better than the N1K, w/a it's larger, broader flatter seat. I've also like the FJR, especially since they added cruise control on their '14 & up models and the FJR is definitely a 2-up bike. Lots of advantages to owning an FJR but that 650 lb. weight concerns me. Then there's the XL1200T, which to me, is a truly elemental motorcycle. Never owned an HD in my 40+ years of riding but have test ridden this model and honestly found it a charming ride. Underpowered yes, offering nowhere near the performance or amentities I've become accustomed to on Japanese bikes but a truly charming ride, one that brought a smile to my face. And it too will nicely accomodate my daughter w/its seating.

At this point, I've pretty much eliminated the V1K from consideration. It's just too close to my N1K and frankly, I like the Versys 650 LT model even better (altho that too is not a 2-up bike.) So choices under consideration are narrowed to the FJR and XL1200T.

If I had my druthers, I'd own more than one bike but I simply cannot justify multiple bike ownership and I'm left w/trying to figure out what to do, that is, if I do anything. My daughter knows how much I enjoy my N1K and has told me she'd prefer I not sell it, even if it means her not riding w/me. But I also figure I've got about another year w/her before I lose her to 'boys' and other distractions and would like to have this time w/her. I can always sell a bike and buy another, right?

Ah well, 'first world' issues.

·
Registered
599 Posts
A friend allowed me to ride his FJR and I quite liked it. I thought to myself if my wife would ride with me I would probably have one if these. At a more relaxed pace I really like the big windscreen, comfortable seat and ergonomics and smooth torquey engine. It actually handled well considering the weight of the bike.

I am not a hater, but would avoid anything from Harley Davidson. Their build quality and reliability is mid pack compared to other brands and I can not logically justify buying what I consider antiquated design, engineering and performance for the same or even more money. The only way I would own a Harley is if I had something else to ride often and the Harley as a weekend bike for local rides.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
The concours 14 has a high Cg. Kawasaki did that for better, faster handling. The fjr is not like that. The weight is there, but it does not feel heavy. If you are ok on your ninja, the fjr will be a non issue.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've ridden FJR's and I've owned a Concours 14. No comparison. The FJR is slow AF and I find the weight bias too far towards the rear. C14 wins hands down.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Never much of a HD fan b/c they are so heavy. I also have a 2000 Buell which uses a sportster 1200 engine, with more power, and bike weighs about 100 lbs less. Oddly, with the select seat it is one of the most comfortable I've ever sat on. I prefer the look and size of the Sportster compared to most HDs but I would not consider one for 2 up riding. It's almost 600 lbs and only 5 speed. You will constantly be looking for a 6th gear on the highway. Baker makes a 6 sp for it but that's $2-3k.

If I was to buy a cruiser, it would likely be an Indian or maybe Triumph.

The Yamaha Tracer is just the new/international name. It was previously called FJ-09 in the states and been out several years. That's actually what I was looking for but just above my budget at the time. Still kind of wish I had waited and bought one.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-5006999431

Some's review on the H2 SX: https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-general-discussion/21778-bye-bye-n1k-hello-h2-sx-se.html

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By all reports, the Tracer 900 GT has corrected the issues associated w/the FJ09; either way, not interested in that bike as a 2-up ride. No H2SX or Indian either. I have looked at a few Triumphs but have eliminated them from consideration too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Had a buddy that went from a GSX-R1000 to a FJR1300. He knows Highway 33 really well, which I don't because it's kinda far for me. He rails that FJR so hard it's ridiculous. I could barely keep up with him on my R1 on a road he knows better like that. He loved the bike for what it was, suprisingly nimble and powerful for it's size. He ended up getting rid of the bike because he never really rode past his local canyons like he was planning to do so he wanted something sportier. He got an Aprilia Tuono Factory instead, since he did not want to go back to Superbike ergos. That Aprilia has been in out of the shop with warranty issues and he's now regretting buying it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Because I don't like them, especially the excess weight.
I understand the look and appeal is subjective, but the weight disappears once you hit 5 mph, and even fjr is pretty heavy standing still.

If you overcome the look and ok with it I’d suggest test riding the Concours 14, among the tourer bikes C14 is the sportiest, hence the closest to N1k but with true passenger comfort. What I like on FJR is narrower frame, as well as almost a foot narrower compared to C14 (measured from mirrors) so it makes a better bike for lane splitting in city, but if that’s not what you plan on using it for most likely you will enjoy the C14 more as it also allowes you lean much more than the FJR.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
What concerns you about the weight? You are not bench pressing it. To be serious about it, those bikes are heavy, but very well balanced. You won't have any issues regarding it's weight. If you look at modern day specs, they don't lie about the weights. The fjr weighs 650 and the concours 14 is closer to 680. Most used c14's are using slip on exhaust and that closes that gap down to where it's not enough to worry about. For years, Yamaha made the fjr sound light by using it's dry weight. Don't get suckered into that.

The fjr is really popular for those iron butt competitions, and for me, that really summed up the bike. The thing screamed "comfortable motorcycle that I can ride for a long distance" If you made me list it's best feature, I don't know what I'd answer with. That's not bad, just nothing exciting or outstanding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I owned a 2007 FJR and rode it for 5 years. I had considered the Honda ST1300, and the Concours. I chose the FJR due to a few factors.

1st was just pure looks. The FJR looks great in my opinion even with the bags off. The other bikes look kind of awkward without the bags.

2nd was ease of maintenance. The FJR is cheaper and easier to maintain than the others. Oils changes are 10 minutes, air cleaner access, 10 minutes, spark plugs, 20 minutes, valve adjustments at 26,000 miles (Mine were all in spec) and they are easy to get to.

3rd was is it the lightest bike of the bunch and really sheds its weight once moving. It’s still a heavy bike though and the only one I ever dropped, twice.

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've ridden the fjr, and its like a less powerful, and less sporting concours 14. Both are ancient. Yamaha has made that same basic bike since 2001. Its seen small upgrades, but it's an 01 bike. The Kawasaki is at least 5 yrs newer.
Wow, do opinions vary. My main riding buddy was a total Concours fan. Had them from 1986 until the C14 came out. His very description after riding the FJR was "The FJR is a lighter, sportier, version of the C14." He jumped to the FJR and never looked back.

My only personal observation with it is I've seen several FJRs out mixing it up with the sporty boys in the twisties but I've yet to see a C14.

To the question of FJR vs Ninja, IMHO the Ninja's a sporty bike with comfortable ergo's and hard luggage options suitable for 1 up touring and track days. The FJR is a 2 up touring bike trimmed down to be somewhat sporty.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had a Connie 14, rode an FJR, had a 2014 Ninja 1000 and now have the H2 SX. For me the H2 SX is the best. If the Connie wasn't so tall and top heavy I might still have it. My daughter loved riding on the back of it. The H2 SX is a solo rider sport tourer. The back seat just won't work for anyone for any kind of distance. It is lighter than most, best handling of all of them and crazy mid-range torque.

Two that I also considered were the BMW GS1200 variants and the Super Tenere. Different class, but know many people touring on them. I could see myself on a Super Tenere at some point. The BMW GSs are just too tall and awkward for me.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I looked at a used super tenure awhile back at the dealer, it got gone pretty quick, I’m assuming there is a demand for those bikes. The Connie would make a good 2- up tourer, get Ivan’s flash for it and change the big mufflers out and I would say it would be a pretty quick spirts tourer, I think the black ones look good, there is one at my dealer that’s been setting for 2 years and still no takers, the price hasn’t been reduced either.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've got the itch, got a good bonus from work and a good tax return.

My 06 GSXR1000 build was a bust. I sold all of it and broke even and bought a 91 GSXR400R SP2 for not much more. The engine in the GSXR was far worse once I got in to it than described.

I'm looking for a liter bike for shorter rides (up to 300 miles each way) on a supersport. I'm looking at a leftover 16 ZX10R, a low mile RSV4, a low mile Tuono V4 1100, a 2012 ZX10R with every goodie known. All are right around $12K except the 2012 ZX10R, which is 8K.

Out in left field, I keep looking at the Super Tenere and a Duke 690 (I saw a cool write-up to convert the Duke to an Adventure bike). Fire roads are fun rides.

I'm leaning toward the 12 ZX10R. Low miles, Guhl flash (yeah, I would still get an Ivan's), Bazzaz quickshifter, Ohlins shock, Kyle linkage, Vortex rearsets, LSL top bar, Brembo 19RCS master, full Arrow exhaust, new set of Q3s. I have a set of Marchesini magnesium wheels without home ready to go on, and know where a 30mm Ohlins cartridge setup is cheap. I have had a 2012 and a 2015 ZX10R and really liked the bike.

I have had two V-Twin Tuono Factory bikes. I liked everything about them except the riding dynamics. I was blown all over the road by wind and trucks. It may very well be my build. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I sit way forward and way tall on bikes. I hear this was fixed on the newer Tuono's.

Thoughts? Rick, the Tuono guy?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts