Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice video.

This is exactly what I did. It vibrates and flops more than my handle bar mounted did on my 650, but the position is perfect.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Looks good and hope it works well for you. I've had the same X-grip now for most of the past decade and no problems at all. I do prefer my phone on the left side and higher up in my field of view, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And for anyone considering the new RAM wireless charger, it didn't work out so well for me.

I had the dual issues of it causing the phone to overheat very quickly, and not being able to charge the battery quick enough to keep up with the drain from running my music and having the GPS be on screen. It would still lose charge as I rode.

I have since gotten a newer phone, so maybe it would work better. But it was not cutting on with my iPhone XS Pro Max. Taking my thickish case off helped, but who wants to do that every time?

If you do try it, go with a place like Amazon that allows returns.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed a Rokform clamp in the hole in between handlebars, but the Ninja's is not round and not deep, so I switched to RAM's clutch lever mount with ball & Rokform's ball clamp.

·
Registered
946 Posts
And for anyone considering the new RAM wireless charger, it didn't work out so well for me.

I had the dual issues of it causing the phone to overheat very quickly, and not being able to charge the battery quick enough to keep up with the drain from running my music and having the GPS be on screen. It would still lose charge as I rode.

I have since gotten a newer phone, so maybe it would work better. But it was not cutting on with my iPhone XS Pro Max. Taking my thickish case off helped, but who wants to do that every time?

If you do try it, go with a place like Amazon that allows returns.
Good to know. Even if my current phone has wireless charging, I probably won't use it because I always have the phone in a fairly large protective case. Plus, I like to have a metal disc on the back for docking on magnetic mount when in my car and at home, so that won't work with wireless charging anyway.

On a bike, I keep a good size USB powerbank in the tank bag. From there a short USB cable can tether to the phone directly. Even on long trips, I really only plug in to recharge no more than 50% of the time. LiPo batts last longer if you don't constantly recharge to 100%. Some newer android OS has a feature that delays charging based on usage pattern. When I plug in my phone before going to bed, it will only bring it to 80%, then wait till just before dawn to top off to 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts