Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
265 Posts
<< snip >>
I asked to speak to the tech to understand what was done and he said, the tech said it's probably all the electrical modifications you have done.
  1. Air horn tied into factory horn switch and 12v relay power fed from battery.
  2. LED driving lights fed from the heated grips bullet connectors.
  3. Dual USB powered by factory 12v bullet connectors.
<< snip >>
Thank you for the re-post and I am sorry to read of your family problems, lost wallet & unpleasant memories.

That said, I am calling B.S. on the explanation the tech provided. He has no idea what the cause the problem. All he did was "CTRL-ALT-DEL" and crossed his fingers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dang. So sorry about the loss of your Ex-GF. Those kinds of things sometimes feel like it happened yesterday. It never really leaves you. All it takes is quick reminder then the emotions come rushing back in. Then the family drama....I guess this is why I sort of distance myself from my own dysfunctional family.

I guess for now, just make sure your ABS/TC sensors are good and tight. As for the excuses the Tech gave you...hmmmm....it smells like BS but you can't prove otherwise and neither can he. They basically did nothing but clear the codes. I do find it hard to believe that your Aux lights and other things could have sent the wrong signals to your electrical system. But then again, these bikes are so damn sensitive to voltage drops or spikes. Who really knows? Maybe remove the relay, Aux lights, and air horns, then ride it around like that for a while. That's what I'd do.

I have the dual USB connected to the factory bullet sockets designed for the Kawasaki 12-volt socket. It's never given me issues for 7,500 miles on my 2018 so far. The only time my ABS/KTRIC lights went crazy was when I lost the bolt on my front ABS/TC sensor. It's been working great after I zip tied the SOB back on. I'm waiting for the OEM sensor bolt replacement.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
The picture, that's brutal, and the lost wallet blows, too.

The last time I lost my wallet, I got pissed and painted it red. Normal, spray paint. It's not amazing looking, but it's easy to find when its dropped in a rental car.

Hopefully the bike stays ok. What are you supposed to do? Not activate Tc? Activate and test it? I suppose that is reasonable to clear the error, and hope? No factory is going to pay for heavy duty diagnostics when an error "goes away" with he push of a button. What a wasted visit?

I wonder if the woolich software has the ability to clear and read codes? If so, it's probably worth having, just for that. Kawasakis system is damn near impossible to buy/use unless you are a dealer and have an old 1998 laptop.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to hear your painful story, and hope things settle down for you.
Typical dealer response also. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
I know I saw something, in the manual, that talked about the electrical interference, but I took that to mean riding under power lines, or something like that. Not adding some running lights.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey guys, still around, I spend most of my time on this forum's facebook group. My name came up a lot here so I want to clarify a few things. First, my bike has stock gearing, I love the stock gearing. Second, I had already run a full exhaust, tune, for months and was on already on my second 190/55 rear tire when my issue started happening. Thousands of miles covered, short trips, long trips, commutes, canyon runs, you name it. Zero issues with all my mods before this sub-throttle valve code **** started out of the blue. I believe it has absolutely nothing to do with my mods. I am still just riding with electrical tape covering the check engine light. Some days I start the bike the TC/Power modes return to normal, and they can stay that way for 20 minutes or a couple days before crapping out while riding. There is no rhyme or reason to it. This is clearly not a common issue, so it seems to me that a few of us just got a faulty part.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
So wait, I didn't have to swap my 55 back to a 50 then!?!?!? :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Watching this closely because my first tire change on the '18 is coming up soon and I REALLY want to go to the /55 profile tire. A while back there were several people running /55s on '16-'18 Ninjas so I'm hoping...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
I am fine and thanks for the well wishes, the memories are there but the photo just made it so fk'n real again. In 36 years I have been with many girlfriends, married, divorced, with grown kids and even have former girlfriends on FB, it's more the circumstances of the loss than anything. I used to say suicide was the most selfish act in the world after losing her but over time, and many other losses understand that is not always the case.

Thanks tyrmeltr, I appreciate the input and news that other than the lights flashing it's running good. That alone would bug the hell out of me, I have TPS lights on all the time on my 2500HD right now, I will need to bust the bead on a front tire and replace another sensor. It's a ***** because the damn light and flashing is over other important information on the display, at least what is important to me rather than the manufacturer.

If the majority of the benefit of changing from 50 to 55 is due to raising the rear end, I may try an adjustable link and go back to a 50 on the next tire change until the warranty expires 4/23. I don't think the tire causes mechanical failures but rc' has a good point, they can point to the tire and say no, I can point to a 50, say FU fix my bike which as already experienced, difficult.

The buddy I bought the KLR from said if I was out riding drop by, he is about 75 miles away and I was planning to chill and figure out how to get my bills paid with most linked to credit card numbers that are now cancelled. If I get that done I may just head out for a good ride and it's just now 96 degrees, but I think that would help my mind and give me a chance to hammer on it in F/1 and F/2.

Oh, I need 15 separated documents to renew my drivers license, originals and some notarized, including copies of my registration on every vehicle, hell, I put the sticker in the glass and throw everything in the trash. I can't get registration copies online, must go to tax office. Concealed carry can be renewed online but not without a credit card payment. But I got espresso ordered off Amazon linking my bank account this morning, that is a priority for me, the pantry and fridge is full of beer.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Utah's DMV is 100% happy to send you a new drivers license, in the mail. Sure, the envelope doesnt say, "Drivers license, please steal me", but it might as well. You can see its outline while it's in the package.

100% thrilled to do that, but if you walk in to their office, it's like you are going through.

You would enjoy the link. The bike likes a little more height than the 190/55 has to offer. It was also nice on those days when the only turn you see is the on ramp. Lowering it made the ride really relaxing. It didnt handle THAT bad, but the stability was incredible.

I think Tyrmeltr has that dunlop q3+ like I have? That tire is massive as compared to the 190/55 michelin I have as well as the Pirelli agt in 190/55 size. The profile is way different, too.

What does the manual say about this? There is a passage where they mention, "same type of tire", but what does that mean? And I think it's in the abs section, at that.

You made me think about pictures. As I get older, I've really learned to not like them. Half the people in them are dead, or from places I'll never be able to see again. I have a picture of my dad and I on the World Trade Center. Check both boxes with that one. One of the buildings let you out on the roof, after the longest elevator ride I've ever been on. It was amazing.. Hey Kodak, how about a commercial about that?

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
This thread was , and maybe still is, the most in depth coverage I've seen on this Bosch traction control system. No idea how much Kawasakis programming is similar to this, but it does give a rough idea about what it's doing. This is probably closer to what the 2020 ninja uses, with ride by wire.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
Hey ya'll, I just returned from a 210 mile spin through Houston and back, it was good for the mind, body and soul. Visited a good friend and his wife, stopped to see my favorite bartender (bar was closed but we can still congregate in Walmart...BS) and the last stop to hang out with my sister and BiL.

I have about 400-500 yards of gravel road between my house and the black top so I set it to F/3 and had the TC light blinking like cheap Christmas lights and had no surprises. I beat on it after getting on the black top and it continued to keep the front wheel down and setting off TC. Road about 75 miles to my friends house and after leaving, set it to F/2 for the remainder of the ride and don't recall if I set off TC but it ran like nothing was ever wrong.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts