Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Finicky Air Filter Fit

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  trialsguy 
#1 ·
It's time to change the air filter on my bike for the first time, especially after the squirrel/mice invasion I posted about early this month. So far I have tried the KN 1111 filter and a HiFloFIltro 2920 filter. Neither have left me impressed with their ability to seal between the air box and the intake. The OEM filter has such a nice solid fit that clicks in like its...well designed that way. The KN was poorly QCed: there was a 2-3mm gap where the filter would slot in and overall had very poor alignment and wiggle to it. The HiFlo just didn't work; the central screw hole did not align and the the supporting posts for the top of the air box cover came down in the wrong places so that you could not screw it all back together. I'm getting really tired of lifting the gas tank and unscrewing a million little stupid screws just to have to put the old filter back in and return the poorly fitting filter. What other filter options are out there? The OEM one seems to be backordered most places.

#3 ·
BMC makes a good air filter and I have not heard of any issues.

#4 ·
I'm with John. I use the BMC air filter. Fits tight in the air box.

#5 ·
I agree, my BMC fit perfectly. I also did the "Ivan's airbox mod" while I was in there. My seat of the pants dyno told me that these two changes made the engine more resonsive, and the increased intake sound was a plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.