Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been intrigued by the Ninja 1000 since it first came out but i was put off by the clunky looking (to my eyes) pannier attachments. When I saw the new hardware at the motorcycle show, I was definitely interested. My current ride, a 2002 Ducati St4s has gotten a little long in the tooth (65,000 miles). I'd looked a long time for a replacement, but nothing fit the requirements of reasonable power, light weight, and good handling in a package that could go long miles with some carrying capacity. Finally decided to pull the trigger today, A blue one with bags. Took the long way home (GMR for those of you familiar with SoCal riding) . I think I'm in love. :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome, I too had a ST4s but could never get the handlebars into a position that was comfortable. Limited turning radius was strange also. Quite surprised Ducati has never brought out a new ST. Tried the Multistrada 1200S but seat height was a big problem. I think the Ninja 1000 is the closest rival to the Ducati ST line & is in many ways superior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, I too had a ST4s but could never get the handlebars into a position that was comfortable. Limited turning radius was strange also. Quite surprised Ducati has never brought out a new ST. Tried the Multistrada 1200S but seat height was a big problem. I think the Ninja 1000 is the closest rival to the Ducati ST line & is in many ways superior.
I ended up with the Dr Desmo risers rotated outward. 800 mile days with them. I kept looking for a Ducati ST replacement but it never appeared. I too tried to like the multi, but it just was not right, too upright and too tall. You are right about the turning radius. Although it handles well, the bike is long.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a friend that is strictly into Ducati's and looked down on me when I rode my Yamaha FZ1 or now my Ninja but the Ducati offerings are way more money and a lot more maintenance. My friend always has electrical problems.

I considered the Multistrada but that seat height is way too high for me. The sales guy said " it fits you like a glove" even though I was on tippy-toes or leaning over on one foot (I'm 5"9").

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 6'3" and would love a little more hieght like what the Multi gives. Unfortunately I don't have Ducati money. Which is good because I do have track money!!!!!

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Yea, pics of the bike, or we'll pretend you bought some sort of Chinese machine. This goes double if you bought bags since they look so amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, pics of the bike, or we'll pretend you bought some sort of Chinese machine. This goes double if you bought bags since they look so amazing.
Well, I have to get off the bike long enough to do the pictures and to this point that is just not happening . Hopefully pictures soon. By the way, really, really like the bags. Good fit to the bike, easy to use, plenty of room, and the mounting hardware disappears to the eye when they are off. Do not appear to affect the handling at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a friend that is strictly into Ducati's and looked down on me when I rode my Yamaha FZ1 or now my Ninja but the Ducati offerings are way more money and a lot more maintenance. My friend always has electrical problems.

I considered the Multistrada but that seat height is way too high for me. The sales guy said " it fits you like a glove" even though I was on tippy-toes or leaning over on one foot (I'm 5"9").
Ducati is an acquired taste. I agree that some duck owners can be a pita, but there are a lot of genuine riders too, sort of like all the brands.

You do know that Ducati is Italian for "you need more money"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts