Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making plans for 1st real ride on the ninja this weekend, snow is gone temperatues suppose to be in the 60,s. Been going over the bike checking bolts, oiling the chain and any other things i can think of. Im planning about a 60 mile trip to see how it handles with me and the wife on it before we do a mountain trip. Started to go for a little ride today but to much salt left on the road from the weekend, the rain ought to take care of that tommorrow. Any way cant wait to ride the bike, getting tired of starting it up every other day and listening to it. Im sure the temperatures in the 60,s want last long before the mercury dips back down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice. We are going to get some mid 50's weather this weekend supposedly. If it does, I hope to get some miles on mine too. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Is'nt it funny how we think during this time of year? I refer to this:

"Started to go for a little ride today but to much salt left on the road from the weekend, the rain ought to take care of that tomorrow. "

This is a case where we have a nice, normal guy watching the weather report as if its a chess game. Its what we have to do, isn't it?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Located in south east TN garyK, Rcannon it is like a chess game and we no how the weather people are 50/50 on there forecast, i just spent abunch of time cleaning on the bike and oiling the chain, i knowed the rain was comming to get rid of the salt so i thought whats a couple of days to keep the chain from getting all that salt in it. So now its the waiting game to see if the weatherman is a hit or miss lol

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to hit the road after lunch, guess ill find out if the wife likes the bike today lol

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even though i had to battle 20 mph winds i had a great time. I could not get over how much more comfortable the ninja was than the cbr 500r. It even felt like it turned in better in the corners. Most of my riding was cruising but after stopping for lunch and getting a couple of drinks down my wife i decided to jump on the interstate and get on it a little, after accelerating to about 80 a gust of wind hit the wife and i felt her lift, im like dang glad the top box with the backrest is on here. She didnt say nothing and i immediately got back on the back roads lol. I got to go out sunday for awhile and i put it back on the interstate with just me on it and pinned the throttle, didnt take long before i got back off the throttle as the g force and wind felt like it was going to blow me off the bike. I cant describe the power i felt comming from the 500. Only issues i noted was a couple of times while taking off on an incline i might have reved a little to much and not let out on the clutch all the way quick enough and the clutch made a noise, ifigured i must of slipped it. Also when both of us are on the bike i noticed i can flat foot the bike versus the ball of my foot by myself, so i dont know if i need to adjust the back suspension a little stiffer. All in all i think its going to be the perfect bike for our little trips, one thing i noticed it feels like its geared like a trail bike felt like it winds tight like im through all 6 gears just running 55 mph and searching for another gear lol, i think im good for a bike now, actually i was going to hold on to the 500 till i sit on it when we got back and it felt like a rock compared to the ninja, im going to see if my daughter wants it if not im going to unload it as i cant see riding it with the ninja in the garage, now old man winter is returning next week and time to plan on whether i want the ivan flash, im like dang do i want more power im already paranoid now watching for the cops, seems like i pass a half dozen ever time i get out there with a intown speed limit of 45 mph its like idling around town lol. Im like having a horse by the reins yelling easy there boy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Going to hit the road after lunch, guess ill find out if the wife likes the bike today lol
I manged to put about 100 on mine it over the last couple of days. Keeping it at under 4k isn't easy, lol. It does well for 4k, but I am just aching to see what happens from 6 to 11k rpms! So now I have about 115 miles on it in total.

So far I like the riding position a lot. Slow speed maneuvering is a breeze and after the FJR that is greatly appreciated. I find the power delivery to be very smooth. The little bit of cornering I did seemed to hint at good things for the future when the tires and the bike are fully broken in. The suspension (factory set) is pretty stiff, but feels like that will be appreciate when I get to some harder cornering. I can't wait for the next batch of good weather to get out on the road again!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I think I've forgotten how to ride a motorcycle. :(

Winter has not given use a break here in Omaha since early December. And even if the roads get cleared and dry, there's so much sand on the roads, I don't want to take the risk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I've forgotten how to ride a motorcycle. :(

Winter has not given use a break here in Omaha since early December. And even if the roads get cleared and dry, there's so much sand on the roads, I don't want to take the risk.
You are probably only 100 miles north of me. I am surprised you haven't gotten some decent weather too. Agree about the sand/salt on the road though. Throw the bike in a truck and come down to KC and ride. It is supposed to be 55 today!

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
77 today that makes 4 days in a row i got to take a ride, but storms comming tonight and cold weather right on its heels. Oh well im thankful for these few warm days, actually seen a dandylion in full bloom out in the yard

·
Registered
162 Posts
It was 65 in wv Sunday, was so nice to get out on a ride. Can't wait for spring!

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill be going through west virginia tommorrow night looks like flooding in the forecast for the martinsburg area

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in East Tennessee as well and got over to The Dragon this past Saturday. Roads were clear, temperatures were in the 60's with blue skies and bright sun. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for his coming weekend. Been riding my DRZ through the winter but hoping to break out the Ninja on Sunday

·
Registered
64 Posts
77 today that makes 4 days in a row i got to take a ride, but storms comming tonight and cold weather right on its heels. Oh well im thankful for these few warm days, actually seen a dandylion in full bloom out in the yard
Funny that you say that, I found one too. My bearded dragon loved it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in East Tennessee as well and got over to The Dragon this past Saturday. Roads were clear, temperatures were in the 60's with blue skies and bright sun. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for his coming weekend. Been riding my DRZ through the winter but hoping to break out the Ninja on Sunday
This is now my big dream to head out your way and ride the Dragon. Vacation is hard to come by, and I will definitely need a new seat before I attempt it, but I plan to get there by next year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ill be going through west virginia tommorrow night looks like flooding in the forecast for the martinsburg area
I literally live right off I81, so honk on your way through Falling Waters, and yes, it's been pouring all day, and with the 40" snow fall we got 2 weeks ago, I expect some pretty good flooding today and tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts