Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

13941 - 13960 of 13962 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
when I was at Ivan's shop he said the ZX would be a good bike for me. When I said it might be too unruly for local riding he said the flash made it an every day bike but still left it really fast. I think that's the benefit of the flash with the ZX, it already has too much power. It will make cornering much more manageable, which is important for a bike built for dragging.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
If you were buying it for the 10 hp, I agree. It wouldnt be worth that. You are buying throttle response, and perfect throttle control. Sure, you happen to get 10 more hp, but that's not the reason . The header isnt a big deal, but it's too damn tempting when you already have 1/2 the system.

I keep pondering a header, but I need the whole damn system if I move forward

You are buying this:

And getting rid of this:

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I'm really intrigued about this.
I'm not going to dump money into bikes anymore, but this looks like it could be pretty fun. If they throw this new engine into a touring bike I would be really happy.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
That would be a seriously nice sport tourer with some wind protection. Why wont they do that, or what year will people realize naked bikes are useless?

Mark, you know the header is probably going to be worth it because it gets rid of the cats. That's going to help with heat. The header, and the flash, together, will be a bright and day difference.

If you get a header, be sure and replace the header gaskets. Just pry the old ones out with a screwdriver. Sometimes it's hard to see them, when the header is tighten it smashes them a d form fits them to the cylinder head.

It's true that the old ones usually seal, but you have to go back to square 1, and remove the bodywork (again) if they dont. Four of them wont cost more than 25.00. You will be surprised when you see the new ones compared to the old. They smash down about 50% to seal.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I blew a seal once. I could have sworn it was a female but by the time I realized... er, anyway, get the cat and the flash Uno!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That would be a seriously nice sport tourer with some wind protection. Why wont they do that, or what year will people realize naked bikes are useless?

Mark, you know the header is probably going to be worth it because it gets rid of the cats. That's going to help with heat. The header, and the flash, together, will be a bright and day difference.

If you get a header, be sure and replace the header gaskets. Just pry the old ones out with a screwdriver. Sometimes it's hard to see them, when the header is tighten it smashes them a d form fits them to the cylinder head.

It's true that the old ones usually seal, but you have to go back to square 1, and remove the bodywork (again) if they dont. Four of them wont cost more than 25.00. You will be surprised when you see the new ones compared to the old. They smash down about 50% to seal.
I agree RC with you about having 50 percent of the exhaust. I admit I am a little concerned about installing the headers. The older I get the less wrenching I want to do. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being most difficult what would you rate the header removal and install to be? Also I am concerned about resale. I know some people, including myself, think twice about buying a bike with headers and a reflashed ECU.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree RC with you about having 50 percent of the exhaust. I admit I am a little concerned about installing the headers. The older I get the less wrenching I want to do. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being most difficult what would you rate the header removal and install to be? Also I am concerned about resale. I know some people, including myself, think twice about buying a bike with headers and a reflashed ECU.
You bought a used bike, correct? If so, it probably needs a coolant flush. If you are that far in to do a coolant flush, the header swap is 30 more minutes if you are slow since you can get the radiator out of there to get to the bolts.

I've never lost money with having toys on a bike, but it's also no extra money. Yeah, you may have a couple people shy away, but most people will be thrilled to see an exhaust on it already.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
The hard part about installing a GOOD header is removing the bodywork. The Akra, or Arrow stuff is built so well, it slips together and falls into place. It fits as well as the stock parts do. Really, the scale for this install would be rated on having to deal with that.

Ivan's work wont make resale difficult. Its documented to be good and safe. He can flash it back to stock if that ever bothered you, or the new buyer. If someone test rode it, the flash would sell the bike as compared to an unflashed one. People would think you had a magical tune, or the other bikes had issues.

I would flash, first, and decide if you even want the header after that. Your stock header isnt that bad. Maybe for heat reduction, but for power, really, it's not like the ninja where you had a 15 hp gain. Weight loss?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The hard part about installing a GOOD header is removing the bodywork. The Akra, or Arrow stuff is built so well, it slips together and falls into place. It fits as well as the stock parts do. Really, the scale for this install would be rated on having to deal with that.

Ivan's work wont make resale difficult. Its documented to be good and safe. He can flash it back to stock if that ever bothered you, or the new buyer. If someone test rode it, the flash would sell the bike as compared to an unflashed one. People would think you had a magical tune, or the other bikes had issues.

I would flash, first, and decide if you even want the header after that. Your stock header isnt that bad. Maybe for heat reduction, but for power, really, it's not like the ninja where you had a 15 hp gain. Weight loss?
When I talked to Ivan he was recommending I do the headers. He said there are three cats in there.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Anyone heard from Avi? Last time I saw one of his posts he was going thru a real tough time.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Hope Avi is ok. If Ivan recommends a header, then you probably should. I think he sells Akra parts, too, or he can get them.

I didnt realize that had 3 cats. Years ago that header was a go-to for the concours 14. With 3 , that's not an option, anymore.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
3 cats is like 3 condoms. You need to lose at least one.
Markie, you hear from Avi? My friend is finally recovering after 2 weeks. He's fat and out of shape so I assume Avi is doing better.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Mark, your comment about the header made me laugh. I would feel the same way and avoid a bike that had mods........ 95% Especially if it was a delk, or one of the cheap brands.

The 5% would be if someone added an Akra or Arrow system. If I saw either of those systems, you know someone spent 1500, easily. Someone who did that cared enough to buy the very best and probably maintained the bike, too.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Mark, at that point I would realize I was interested in a used, japanese bike and offer you 2/3 of whatever asking price you had.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,955
3 cats is like 3 condoms. You need to lose at least one.
Markie, you hear from Avi? My friend is finally recovering after 2 weeks. He's fat and out of shape so I assume Avi is doing better.
No I haven’t herd from him, hope he hasn’t caught the corona, that **** is blowing up bad since New Years, maybe he went to the Capitol to protest.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,956
Just got an update on Avintage, he has been battling the covid 19 and his grandmother passed away, I know ythey have a lot of cases in Texas, sounds like he is on the mend, prayers sent his way

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
sorry to hear about his grandmother, but good he's getting better.
My friend's father is 84 and not very healthy, and remdesivir had him out of the hospital in 4 days. He's fine now. I wonder why they are not giving this to all elderly people.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
I hope hes as good as he possibly could be.

Rock, we let them turn this Virus into a political thing. Instead of trying to figure out a way to distribute the Covid vaccine, these worthless piles of **** we elected are too busy trying to get even with a president who beat them at their own game.

Do you guys know of a workaround for Omaha Steaks? I dont need any of their chicken, beef, or other by products.. I can get that, locally. What I cant get are their Jumbo Frank's. Those Frank's are amazing. I havent had anything like them since I was a kid. Our local 7-11 store cut a deal with a local butcher and was selling hot dogs. It had to be around 1972 or 73. He sold them for .25 cents. That was expensive. Candy bars were .05, so this was expensive. It's funny how food will trigger these memories.

I'll drop 200.00, for hot dogs, if I have to, but am hoping for an alternative.

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
A very belated Merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone.
The last 5 weeks haven't been the best here. Aunt passed mid December and then right after another aunt, then my grandmother and, wife and I tested positive. For me at first just the quarantine sucked at that time because during it my grandmother became very sick and in a weakend state tripped and broke her femur. she was rushed into surgery due to internal bleeding and testing positive was roomed in a isolation wing after. No one could get in to see her and she never recovered and passed on the 6th.
On th 4th after feeling like I had completely recovered and even had gone back to work, enjoyed Christmas with the kids, but then came back down with it and it kicked my *** the second time. Major fevers and then right after I'd have a low temperature. From 103.5 to 96 in less the 30 mins one morning. Shivering so bad yet sweating buckets. Felt like I was barely staying hydrated and finally after developing a upper respiratory infection I went to see my doctor. A couple of shoots and a breathing treatment later I left seeming to already feel a little better. This was on the 4th I think and my grandmother passed on the 6th. Still cant believe no one was allowed in to see her and only communication was via text for a couple days before she was put on a ventilator. I'm almost back to normal now and have most of my strength back and stamina is getting better daily.
Damn sure not a great Christmas this year though and family is what we're concentrating on now. Probably be in and out here on the forum a lot less but hope everyone the best.
Stay safe and healthy everyone and well see down road some time.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Take care of yourself and your family Avi. God bless.

13941 - 13960 of 13962 Posts