Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

301 - 320 of 12734 Posts

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I like to buy my bikes in the winter when theres not much activity going on in the dealerships no body is thinking about bikes but me then i get to cry about how cold it is when i buy it and have to drive it home, jan- march are good months around hereto buy.
You're preaching to the choir brother! I'm in the northeast!
I did the same thing three winters in a row. Saved me on winter storage.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I tell you what RC im going to do the flash, i think tommorrow ill look at what it takes getting it off, and start making preparation to get it done. How bad does it surge on startup while warming, my heavy cammed fuel injected camaro idaled like a boy dog on cold start up, no surging any where, but a lot of programming was involved on the dyno time
YOu do have to adjust the throttle position sensor (TPS) and up the idle when it's hot or it will stall soon after you start it up. There are instructions here as to what voltage output to set the TPS on. It's easy but necessary. Also to be mindful of the idle.

It is a worthy mod as it changes the bike allot.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
There is no surging on start up. Or, if there is, it's just like stock...

NEVER underestimate the ability of well meaning owners to find things up. Often times, the same people who remove all the play from their throttle cables...or, God only knows what, but there's nothing he does that would help,,or hurt with that.

If mine does it, I'd like to have someone show me what to look for.

Rock gave great advise on tps. Mine was right on, and needed no help, but it's best to verify.

The start up stalling can happen, and will happen on every cold bike I've owned with efi. Especially when under 25 degrees.

I will seriously talk you put of a 700.00 dollar header. No problem doing that, but not the reflash. Send it next day air (post office) and you will have it back by thursday..if you request Next day return...

Sorry for mentioning this, and I know you know, but you are after the box with two plugs. The one that's harder to access.

Easy one is the relay box, it's on top, with three connections.

Here's a better way to judge it's value. Most of us are in this mod close to 700.00. Flash, pcv, because filter, servo buddy...etc.

Now, it's a flat 350...no one who had work from back then is complaining.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I'm going to miss Ivan...now after getting the Bmer we're going to have to break up :( sniff
well, there's always tires and chains :D

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Maybe get a zx14, too. He does a reflash for that...

I hope we realize the context of what we are talking about with regards to fast and power.

The new cycle world Magazine tests Harleys newest version twin 107 and 114 sizes. If they keep this up, they will soon equal the performance of a 1986 Honda magna...not yet, but in maybe 10 yes.

That Harley is way closers to most people's reality than ours.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Lol there is not hardly any one in the show room in the winter,

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Maybe get a zx14, too. He does a reflash for that...

I hope we realize the context of what we are talking about with regards to fast and power.

The new cycle world Magazine tests Harleys newest version twin 107 and 114 sizes. If they keep this up, they will soon equal the performance of a 1986 Honda magna...not yet, but in maybe 10 yes.

That Harley is way closers to most people's reality than ours.
He does have a flash for it. He has that bike too and actually recommended it to me that last time as it would fit me.

HDs are a joke. MY buddy sold his and got a lower model Victory and feels like he's on a sports bike.

Your showrooms are open in the winter?!?!?!? :)

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
The one place the nk1 shines for me is the low end going up the backside of the mountains with the twisties i hit a few peaks around 5,000 ft elevation and doing it two up the ninja makes it easy and without a strain, now a zx14 r probably has the power but when you get into it its going to go maybe go a little to much, plus the extra weight of the bike and 2 up on top of that, now a sr1000 probably has the power a little higher up in the revs im assuming but a lighter bike probably wouldnt do as good 2 up, plus your not going to blast the twisties in my area or you will be another marker on the killed map at the dragon **** all these mountains in north georgia, north carolina and eastern tn is like that, sharp curves and you darn sure want to stay in your lane.cause you dang sure hoping the others are going to stay in theirs, i have been put on my inside ditch line several times at the dragon by the hot dogs that cant handle their bikes, the ninja feels pretty good in those area because blazing speed will get you deep sixed

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #309

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Im going to keep the ninja for at least another year or 2 unless i see some reliability issues crop up. I think trading ever year is not the best thing if you like what you got and its doing the work, i just cant see the zx14 in 180 hairpins to me it belongs on the interstate blowing the socks off the troopers and such, i think i have some reasoning in there some where

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Rock, I just thought of something...

IF Mark does not have the pcv, how does he calibrate?

I know there is a procedure, in the manual, using a meter, but that is not quite the same.

Mark, do ask Ivan how, or if, you do calibrate the tps.

For me, it's not really a yes or no setting. I've had some entertainment moving it around slightly.

Basically, all it does is match the correct throttle opening to ecu position. Imagine how it would be if you had the throttle bodies open 5%, for example, and the ecu thought it was 10%. Not great.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Rock, I just thought of something...

IF Mark does not have the pcv, how does he calibrate?

I know there is a procedure, in the manual, using a meter, but that is not quite the same.

Mark, do ask Ivan how, or if, you do calibrate the tps.

For me, it's not really a yes or no setting. I've had some entertainment moving it around slightly.

Basically, all it does is match the correct throttle opening to ecu position. Imagine how it would be if you had the throttle bodies open 5%, for example, and the ecu thought it was 10%. Not great.
. Ive only herd of a couple of people with just the flash only but i dont remember them talking about the tps, but i remember somebody said you could loosing something and adjust it with a meter, wander why the tps voltage would need changing anyway, also how high did you set your idle to keep it from not stalling

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Mark, I have idle at 1250, or close to it.

The tps adjust, or check was very easy. I'll see if I can post a pic, tomorrow, of the procedure.

It is probably on, right now, but this would make double surethane.

It could be off if the factory did not set it properly. Some bikes were off, they say. Mine was dead on. 1.064.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
According to guy on other post that just did it there was no mention of adjusting the tps with the flash he just slapped the ecu back in and went with it

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
I agree with rock. I don't see Kawasaki taking 10min to get title perfect, every time.

It made a massive difference on the c14. It was a few numbers off.

You need a digital volt meter, which used to be like saying you needed a car lift. Now, digital meters are cheap. A 20.00 one is more than enough, and odds are, the 3.00 one from hf will do it, too.

Legend says Rock can lick his finger and tell. I have to use a meter.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Wander why this guy wasnt told thats crazy, maybe the voltge is getting set in the ecu by ivan like a number value

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I agree with rock. I don't see Kawasaki taking 10min to get title perfect, every time.

It made a massive difference on the c14. It was a few numbers off.

You need a digital volt meter, which used to be like saying you needed a car lift. Now, digital meters are cheap. A 20.00 one is more than enough, and odds are, the 3.00 one from hf will do it, too.

Legend says Rock can lick his finger and tell. I have to use a meter.
I can touch my balls to it and tell by the degree of titillation I receive what voltage it is :)

Wander why this guy wasnt told thats crazy, maybe the voltge is getting set in the ecu by ivan like a number value
I don't think one controls the other.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Looks like the ecu would have to be able to read it, you would think it could adjust it who knows

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Mark, I'll bet what you say could be done....but...

I recall soemoen saying Ivan had found an 8% variation between the bikes he checked...

So, even if he added in some sort of correction factor, the baseline would still be off.

This video is almost pretty good, and shows one important thing.

This is not our bike, but there are two sensors that are identical. Be sure to check the correct one.

or

The two videos at least show the parts. It must be a very common procedure in the Spanish speaking community?

301 - 320 of 12734 Posts