Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with Rhyan Schnitz (he did ny zx14r), so I asked him if he was ging to to one, he said he already did. He has een so busy, he has'nt had the time to post it on his web site. He said in a few months, but he can do mine now. Gonna wait till theirs a foot of snow on the ground.

He said the ECU is located in the front right side of the bike

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
Is he talking about a 2020? That's amazing. If you look at the other thread, some swear the 2020 doesnt need one. Strange that a reputable person would waste his time on this, if it wasnt needed...or, the "some" didnt know what the f he was talking about? One of the two.

I always liked the way Schnitz operated, and how they priced their services. If you wanted the basic ecu flash, it was 75.00. That didnt include everything, but it didnt claim to. Just getting rid of the awful stuff would make a significant difference.

Lots of people went to other places and paid 275-300 for flashes that were way closer to the 75.00 level.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is he talking about a 2020? That's amazing. If you look at the other thread, some swear the 2020 doesnt need one. Strange that a reputable person would waste his time on this, if it wasnt needed...or, the "some" didnt know what the f he was talking about? One of the two.

I always liked the way Schnitz operated, and how they priced their services. If you wanted the basic ecu flash, it was 75.00. That didnt include everything, but it didnt claim to. Just getting rid of the awful stuff would make a significant difference.

Lots of people went to other places and paid 275-300 for flashes that were way closer to the 75.00 level.

Yes its a 2020,2021. He gave me a price or $275,00, cause of the cat delete, and akra slip on

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've had a zx14 and zx14r reflashed by Ryan Schnitz. probably not the best, but I had no complaints.

Did you ask or did he say he can return the flash to OEM specs?

·
Registered
45 Posts

The 2020+ doesn't need it. But if you change the exhaust system, like the OP, I wouldn't be surprised. I resolved from the previous topic you mentioned, just to let you carry on with your head in the sand, but "didnt know what the f he was talking about?" This bedside manner undermines you. I don't understand why you're so obnoxious at times, you contribute some cracking stuff to the forum, but this type of comment leaves me wondering.

Anyhow, record corrected, a stock bike works faultlessly on its stock ECU. I'm not saying this means it delivers the maximum power out of the motor, but there's no 'fuelling' fault to correct. Go ahead if you feel you need more power and know exactly where it will arrive vs. stock.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
603 Posts
Just got off the phone with Rhyan Schnitz (he did ny zx14r), so I asked him if he was ging to to one, he said he already did. He has een so busy, he has'nt had the time to post it on his web site. He said in a few months, but he can do mine now. Gonna wait till theirs a foot of snow on the ground.

He said the ECU is located in the front right side of the bike
Are you sure this tuner knows that it is a Ninja 1000SX and not some other Kawasaki 1000 ??

According to the Kawasaki USA parts catelog, the ECU on the 2021/21 models is located in the rear sub-frame, under the pillion seat and on top of the rear fender, just like all previous years of the Ninja 1000s.

I'd hate for you to send off your ECU to be re-flashed and you end up getting a "brick" in return.

Font Art Auto part Diagram Rectangle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure this tuner knows that it is a Ninja 1000SX and not some other Kawasaki 1000 ??

According to the Kawasaki USA parts catelog, the ECU on the 2021/21 models is located in the rear sub-frame, under the pillion seat and on top of the rear fender, just like all previous years of the Ninja 1000s.

I'd hate for you to send off your ECU to be re-flashed and you end up getting a "brick" in return.

View attachment 32163
[/QU

Nice catch, just pulled of the rear seat, oops their it is

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I would double check with him before I sent him anything. Given that sort of faux pas it would be worth the effort to ensure he's not confusing it with another bike.
I believe the front right location is where the ECU is on the H2. That bike is on his webstie (I just checked) so he might be confusing the H2 with the SX.

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
Fuel corrections area very small part of what a good reflash offers. Being able to get rid of fuel cut and the low rpm issues makes more of a difference that fuel changed do. I've tried several flashes that were early in development that did not have fuel correction. They were a massive improvement over stock.

Sure, it was better when the fuel tables had been worked with, but the timing, fuel cut, and vacuum tables are more important for response.

Rock, the Ninja h2 has the ecu, up front. That might be it? I was thinking zx10, but that one is in back, like the ninja.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 2020+ doesn't need it. But if you change the exhaust system, like the OP, I wouldn't be surprised. I resolved from the previous topic you mentioned, just to let you carry on with your head in the sand, but "didnt know what the f he was talking about?" This bedside manner undermines you. I don't understand why you're so obnoxious at times, you contribute some cracking stuff to the forum, but this type of comment leaves me wondering.

Anyhow, record corrected, a stock bike works faultlessly on its stock ECU. I'm not saying this means it delivers the maximum power out of the motor, but there's no 'fuelling' fault to correct. Go ahead if you feel you need more power and know exactly where it will arrive vs. stock.
It may be a lost cause. Why someone that is seemingly very knowledgeable about certain subjects feel compelled to reply to every thread even if they have no actual experience is very difficult to understand. It makes me question his often well written replies on other subjects. It gets very tiresome and most folks just give up and move on. When one person does all the talking and places no value on the contributions of others there is little point in participating in the discussion. Instead, he chooses to ridicule them and/or their responses.

This endless tirade on "fuel cut" is one clear example. The 2020 runs fine in stock form as many owners and folks that have ridden one have stated. It is clear that Kawasaki spent some time on getting the fueling right even with the restraints necessitated by current emission regulations. The focus on emissions and proper fueling may actually have helped fix some of the issues that were apparent on previous generations. I have ridden numerous other Euro 5 bikes that run just fine as well.

The other issue is low rpm operation. He likes to talk about giving his bike full throttle at 1200 rpm in 6th gear. Who does that? Riding around at 16 mph in top gear and giving it full throttle is just plain stupid and not something any responsible owner would do to their bike. There are 6 gears for a reason. I wouldn't let him near my bike much less ride it.

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
I remember when I didnt know anything about the sv 650 I purchased. It completly blew my mind when experienced owners helped me make the bike all it could be, and I appreciated them being willing to help.

In modern days, I like it when uninformed and inexperienced folks KNOW everything. Man, they have had a total of 3 bikes in their life. What else is there to discover? They have found a way to learn, everything, but someone with 10x more experience needs to ride every bike to have any valid comments.

Slow? No one rides slow. Except in traffic, neighborhoods , or parking lots.

6th gear at 1200 rpm? I agree. No one does that except someone who is smart enough to evaluate how a motorcycles ecu is set up. If it will deal with 6th, and 1200 rpm, it will handle anything else you can throw at it.

The old saying, "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.

The other thing a smart person would do is to try the on/off throttle above 4000 rpm. After they did this, they would know what fuel cut is. I guess you havent had time to see how this amazing 2020 deals with this? Who does that, right? No one except those who ride aggressively.

Still no takers on my 2020 ride offer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hahahahaha. It's like motoman was unbanned.

I don't think a reflash is necessary on the 2020 bike unless you put a full system on. The fueling is good, and it's not massively restricted on power like the zx10r and H2 lineup.

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
Why is the idea of, "Wow! This could be better?" so terrifying to people? Even if the bike isnt as restricted as before who would want low gear power limiters, fuel cut, and high temp fan settings?

Even if all that was available was to eliminate the emissions pieces, below 3000 rpm, it would upgrade the bike when you got rid of them.

With ride by wire, the possibilities are endless. The bike could be amazing. Not something you needed to hide your head in shame over, like it is now, or only ride at night so no one sees you riding. You would no longer need the "Yamaha" stickers to cover up the Kawasaki logos, or avoid Starbucks.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Vape, Motoman could never be replaced. Gosh I miss him :love:

RC, even long dong silver wouild have added a few more inches if it were possible. Nothing wrong with trying to make closer to perfect if the resources are there. Necessary and nice to have are two different things. On the older bikes it was necessary. Now it might just be a nice to have (unless you did a full swap), but nice to haves are just that: nice to have. I don't NEED Scarlett Johanson, but she would be really really nice to have :p

·
Registered
674 Posts
It would be nice to have BST carbon fiber wheels. That will be all it will ever be since it's about $4k for a set, not including rotors and calipers etc., and it saves a whopping 7 lbs. on the zx10 over OEM.

RC, I think it comes down to that aftermarket stuff is so ridiculously priced on a motorcycle. I'm tired of spending hundereds of dollars on every mod. So if it's good enough, I can live with it.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
more than 7 lbs Vape. You have to factor rotational inertia. The weight savings is exponential for every mph increase in rotational speed.

I had marchesiini wheels on my speed triple R and it flicked ten times easier than my non R Speed Triple. I miss bikes that can handle :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why is the idea of, "Wow! This could be better?" so terrifying to people? Even if the bike isnt as restricted as before who would want low gear power limiters, fuel cut, and high temp fan settings?
This is the point that you just don't get. We are not saying it couldn't be better! That is another thing you just made up to try and confirm your severely misguided opinions. What several of us have said repeatedly which you continue to ignore is that it does not " NEED" to be reflashed and that the fueling is fine on the 2020. Again, we have actual experience while you have NONE. Reread Rock's response in post #16 above. That summarizes what we have been saying all along.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In modern days, I like it when uninformed and inexperienced folks KNOW everything.

The old saying, "Ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.

Still no takers on my 2020 ride offer.
1. You do realize you are describing yourself when talking about the 2020+. You have not ridden the bike nor have any experience with yet you have very strong opinions on how it performs.

2. Absolutely! But, somehow you don't have any trouble dealing with it.

3. Shocking! Why on earth would anyone let you ride their bike?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts