Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new Ninja (a candy lime 2014) in a few days. This one already has the dealer installed factory panniers. Personally, I think they look infinitely better than the GIVI V35s, and are probably the best looking bag integration I've seen on a bike.

However, there are several downsides to the factory bags. The most glaring has been discussed numerous times, and that's the lack of a factory or GIVI (or most other) option for a top box. While I think Kawasaki did a great job of integrating the brackets compared to standard brackets (like the GIVI or the BMW S1000XR), I do still prefer the cleaner lines of the standard grab rails over the bag version.

My questions, does anyone have experience with both the 14+ Factory Bags and the GIVI version with the quick/Zeus disconnect? Would it be a pain somewhat regularly removing the GIVI brackets for a clean, factory look? While the GIVI bags look worse on, I think the bike looks better with them off in this configuration, and they offer much more capacity/versatility when paired with the top box.

I'm considering selling the factory bags and having the buyer swap the grab bars and uncut lower fender. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I was faced with the same dilemma. I’ve just stock with the factory bags. Yes, I’d like them to be bigger. Yes, I want a top box. At the end of the day the execution is so good with them I can’t give that up.

Also they are narrower on the bike than the Givi. That means a lot to me when lane splitting. ****, I never take them off when splitting lanes now. I like that the ignition key works everything. For me it isn’t worth it now. I’ve found a duffel bag I put across both of them for when I need more capacity.

At this point, only if my wife really complained about having nothing behind her would I revisit this. There is a bike shop I worked with when in LA that thought they could make a rack to work with the factory bags and make a top box. I am not there now so I haven’t been able to leave the bike for them to model it.

Only factory bags I like better are on my K16GT and honestly Kawi did a better job of hiding the mounts than BMW. The central locking though is awesome and controlled by my key remote. The BMW bags are bigger and I can use them with a top box. Still, Kawi did a great job.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That removal design does seem very nice on the factory bags. While I can't lane split around here, I do like a more svelte profile. You're right about the single key option being nice too. I actually was hoping I'd be able to use the Kawasaki cylinders on the Givi bags to retain this functionality if I did swap.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
828 Posts
The svelte profile keeps the Ninja from contracting fat @$$ disease. They really aren't much an issue and I leave them on all the time for the convenience. I added some better reflectors to the back to add more visibility.

They aren't the perfect design but I am sold on them now. Very rarely do I miss having a top box. It would be different if my full face, XL, modular helmet didn't fit in them (like on my CTX) but it does fit in them. A big plus to me.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I bought the SW-MOTECH quick disconnect rails for the Givis and they look just fine with the rails/bags removed. I also got the SW-MOTECH top case rack and modified the brackets so I have both side and top cases installed at the same time.

I'm one of those that like the looks of the Givis over the factory bags.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I wouldn't normally agree about the GIVI bags looking better, it's extremely tough to argue with your bike :) That looks very nice!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'll still stick with the factory bags. I have 3 complete sets of Givi bags and could have gone the Give route pretty easily.

What put me firmly in the camp of the factory bags is where I saw a rear view of the 2014 bags vs. the previous year factory bags. The bike was about 2" narrower. When I looked at other people who had the Givi, even with the QR mounts, they still looked wider than the 2014+ factory bags.

I am lane splitting almost every day and inches matter here. I've had great luck with the factory ones for and never take them off now. If you aren't lane splitting then it might less of an issue to you. For me it was a major point. I had thought about going with the Givi and just running the topcase when commuting but then I end up with a fair amount of weight up top. I'd often stop and buy groceries on the way home and with the factory bags I keep the weight nice and low and can still lane split. Works well for me, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I bought the SW-MOTECH quick disconnect rails for the Givis and they look just fine with the rails/bags removed. I also got the SW-MOTECH top case rack and modified the brackets so I have both side and top cases installed at the same time.

Um, I mean to each their own and all, but those bags appear to be mounted backwards. Was that on purpose?

Rob

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Um, I mean to each their own and all, but those bags appear to be mounted backwards. Was that on purpose?

Rob
LOL!!! Yeah, they were. I didn't realize it myself until another member of the forum pointed it out to me. I mounted up the rails backwards. It was an easy fix but kinda embarrassing. :)

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point that out!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I thought you did it on purpose. I did that on one bike so my wife would have more legroom. I was happy that I could reverse them since the bags were asymmetric.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Factory Bags? apparently they are like bigfoot.. Because ive been waiting over a month for them and just keep getting "Backordered" from my dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I decided to go for option C.

Sweet looking factory panniers.. and pieced together (and fabricated) a mount for matching top case.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to go for option C.

Sweet looking factory panniers.. and pieced together (and fabricated) a mount for matching top case.

Can you please provide more details and pics of the brackets? A "how to" would I'm sure be appreciated by many.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The thing that stopped me from going this route and adding a top case was my concern for the load rating of the subframe. It was newly redesigned for the 2014 model. All that extra weight WAY to the back gives a lot of leverage on the subframe. I'd be very cautious how much load you put in the top box.

The Ninja was never designed to be a hard core touring bike/pack mule. I think Kawi could have easily set it up to do both factory bags AND topcase as making bracket isn't that difficult. Maybe they did the analysis of the load rating and realized it was either topcase or bags, but not both. I'd definitely check the rear frame area and where it connects to the main part of the frame and keep any eye out for any deformities or stress cracks.

Having said that, it looks nice. I still hate the Givi mount. They make it worthless for almost anything else. It isn't flat and able to be used as a rack. I have it on 2 other bikes and never grew to like it. It looks ugly to me without a case on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dude what's up with the backwards mounted Givi's?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you please provide more details and pics of the brackets? A "how to" would I'm sure be appreciated by many.
It's actually pretty simple...

Ventura rack makes a base bracket for this bike

Kawasaki Z1000SX L-Bracket | Ventura MCA

They also make a top box rack with witch you can use either their top box, or mount a universal givi plate.

TBR20 Flexible Top-Box Rack | Ventura MCA

Together those will do the job.. only problem... it looks like a dogs breakfast.. (I have one of the top brackets i'd be happy to sell you if you don't mind the look!)

I used it that way for a year, it was fine.. but I didn't like the look. So the other day I found a fabrication shop and simply had them take off the top bracket and weld a steel plate to the top of the base bracket to which I bolted the givi plate

Just needs to be painted..

The finished product looks much better!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts