Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at different exhaust options for my '12 Ninja 1000 and was wondering how restrictive the factory mufflers actually are compared to aftermarket slip-ons. I actually like the look of the factory ones but would like to get the power of a cat-less header and the weight savings. What do you guys think of using an Akrapovic header with the factory cans? I also wouldn't have to worry about clearance issues with bags in the future. I just don't want to be leaving a significant amount of power on the table if they truly are that restrictive. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, it probably hasn't been done but I wouldn't mind looking into the possibility of gutting or debaffling the stock mufflers if that is doable.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I can only speak from my experience with the Scorpion Serket Taper slip ons but there was a noticeable bump in power once I installed them... not huge though. Does that help LOL? I'm still running the stock headers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have noticed less engine braking after installing Yoshi R77 slip ons. Never really flogged the stock exhaust enough to notice a performance gain although I'm confident it exists. Bike only has 600 miles on it so far. But the decrease in engine braking indicates it is exhaling a little easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you guys are noticing gains with slip-ons I'll probably end up doing the whole set. I know on other bikes, they do next to nothing but I don't want to leave any power on the table. I really like the look of M4's if they'll work with the Akro header and bags. They look low enough to clear.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
The header is the issue. The best slip on available are only good for 2-3 hp, at best, but the stock header is super restrictive. You can search the net and you will see dyno charts showing this.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If your main concern is to gain power you have no option than to go in for a full system exhaust. The most potent of the full system exhausts would be Brock's and Akrapovic. You can expect a gain upwards of 10BHP with either of the two. Slip-on exhaust would at best get you 4BHP gain, no more. Getting rid of the catcon/muffler box is the trick to substantial gain in power. And of course, the bike loses significant weight with a full system which means better acceleration. The quest for more power is endless...

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Bikeram, where did you get your info? A 30 second internet search will show that info to be untrue, regarding the box and cat. Repair removed his, and built a y pipe. He gained a whole .3hp...not 3.....it is .3.

Here:

2012 Z1000 Y-PIPE / Dyno results - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums

Cat replacement pipe for 2010-2012 Z1000 - Page 4 - Kawasaki Z1000 Forum: Kawasaki Z1000 Motorcycle Forums

The cat and box is no big deal at all. Its not especially restrictive. Heavy, ugly and nice to have gone, but its not the issue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you like the stock mufflers (and many do though I have no idea why) and want more power it is completely possible to run an Akro or similar header and Ivans tune.

You will get great power, great throttle response, fairly quiet exhaust tone with the stock mufflers, and what seems really important the stock muffler look.

Absolutly no problems with going this route.

Call Ivan, he can get you hooked up for sure. Almost be cheaper to go with a single exit Akro full system to be honest, but everyone is different.

No reason you cannot have exactly what you want and a good running bike at the same time.

·
Registered
960 Posts
If you like the stock mufflers (and many do though I have no idea why) and want more power it is completely possible to run an Akro or similar header and Ivans tune.

You will get great power, great throttle response, fairly quiet exhaust tone with the stock mufflers, and what seems really important the stock muffler look.

Absolutly no problems with going this route.

Call Ivan, he can get you hooked up for sure. Almost be cheaper to go with a single exit Akro full system to be honest, but everyone is different.

No reason you cannot have exactly what you want and a good running bike at the same time.
I run an Akro head pipe with stock mufflers to keep the local LEO's at bay.

Compared to a full system, Ivan himself told me I'm loosing only 2-3 HP up top and minimal torque loss (but an extra 10 or so pounds weight) with this setup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I run an Akro head pipe with stock mufflers to keep the local LEO's at bay.

Compared to a full system, Ivan himself told me I'm loosing only 2-3 HP up top and minimal torque loss (but an extra 10 or so pounds weight) with this setup.
Maybe get a sound recording on this set up??

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
@Rcannon - first, my name is spelt as Bikram. Second, how do you suppose a full system exhaust results in much higher power gain than with a slip-on? The trick to gain horsepower through an exhaust mod is to ensure the least restrictive passage for the exhaust gases. A simple reason that a full exhaust system will increase horsepower is often the absence of a catalytic converter. A catalytic converter will restrict the airflow in an exhaust and in some cases also increase back pressure, reducing engine performance.

Also, a full exhaust performs better than a slip on due to the lack of a resonator. A resonator, like a muffler, is designed to reduce noise. The resonator is a part of the mid-pipe and restricts the exhaust gases and hence by not having one, horsepower is increased again.

Like I said, a full system exhaust gets you more power mainly because it ensures the least restrictive passage for the exhaust gases. And this objective is ensured as the full system does away with the restrictions in the mid-pipe (consisting of the C-Con and the resonator).

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Bikram, Your first post was flat out misinformation as related to this bike.

The second was much better, and thanks for the exhaust lesson.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts