Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one year warranty on my 2019 N1K ends in 4 months. I already had to have a brake line replaced (would have cost $500), and now I'm having the bike looked at for a possible coolant leak. I'm tempted to extend the warranty for another 4 yrs for $870. Any opinions about doing this?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Go on-line or at least shop around to purchase your warranty. A buddy of mine who believes in extended warranty's gets them on-line for about half the asking price. They send him a card and the local dealership honors it. His last Kawi Concours 4 year extended warranty was ~$400. It was about half the list price. (6 year old data point)
My opinion: unless you got the one in a bunch lemon, they aren't worth it. They're moneymakers for Kawasaki.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got conned into 2 years for $1350 at the dealer. I couldn't believe I fell for the "even our mechanic buys one" guilt trip. Wasn't even a hot chick. So I cancelled it, lost $50, feel much better now. I agree with kenors - if we're expected to use it, they wouldn't sell it. $870 for 4 years is pretty good though, well, it would be in AUS dollars. Right now that's $1129 AUD so still not too bad I don't think. Are you going to keep it for 4 years I guess is the question, and what $ amount can you claim up to?

·
Registered
2021 Black N1K.
124 Posts
I got conned into 2 years for $1350 at the dealer. I couldn't believe I fell for the "even our mechanic buys one" guilt trip. Wasn't even a hot chick. So I cancelled it, lost $50, feel much better now. I agree with kenors - if we're expected to use it, they wouldn't sell it. $870 for 4 years is pretty good though, well, it would be in AUS dollars. Right now that's $1129 AUD so still not too bad I don't think. Are you going to keep it for 4 years I guess is the question, and what $ amount can you claim up to?
Zed. They come with 2 years warranty as standard in Australia. I would be having a chat with the Stealer, if they tried that on you & cost you $50 to cancel it.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
368 Posts
I got one from a 3rd party at the time of the purchase. I'm an insurance guy, so that's my mindset.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Go on-line or at least shop around to purchase your warranty. A buddy of mine who believes in extended warranty's gets them on-line for about half the asking price. They send him a card and the local dealership honors it. His last Kawi Concours 4 year extended warranty was ~$400. It was about half the list price. (6 year old data point)
My opinion: unless you got the one in a bunch lemon, they aren't worth it. They're moneymakers for Kawasaki.
OK, thanks. Looks like CyclePartsNation and KawasakiPartsNation will sell the same 4 yr extended warranty for about $150 less. Only concern might be that any mods to the bike could void the warranty. Details in the "fine print."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zed. They come with 2 years warranty as standard in Australia. I would be having a chat with the Stealer, if they tried that on you & cost you $50 to cancel it.
Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear... they sold me years 3 & 4, and they did tell me about the admin fee. $50 I can wear stupidity tax :)

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
376 Posts
WE get 2 years here in India too. And yes the mods Clause is there.
Also, please check, sometimes the extended warranty only applies to the motor and internals.

Reactions: Bc2

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta talk to my dealer, to find out if the less expensive warranties are still good at my dealer, and to find out if, for example, I replace my rear tail light with an aftermarket light, does that negate the warranty for other electrical problems on the bike.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
At one time, we had a guy , in a Florida Kawasaki shop. The guys name was Pete. He was on the concours 14 forum and may still be? As long as you didnt let the original warranty lapse, this guy sold us warranties on the concours 14 for dirt cheap prices. It ended up being about 200.00, for 2 years worth of coverage. He also had 4 yr plans and I dont believe these were more than 300.00. About half of what the list price was supposed to be.

It was a good deal, I suppose, but very few of us had them pay off. Even with give away pricing. The only thing that ever went wrong were the tpms sensors and front brake rotors. Sensors were 300.00 if you had to pay. Rotors were closer to 700.00.

If you were looking at retail prices, a few of us had claims that were for more than the warranty cost. Then again, when they gave us new rotors, it wasnt a fix. You just started over with new, garbage rotors.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with my Dealer about the 4 yr extended warranty. He said I'd get the same coverage I have now. And it did not make any difference if I bought the warranty from Kawasaki, or other companies that offer it cheaper. I also asked if the electrical part of the warranty would be voided if I added something like an after-market rear tail light. He said except for the new rear tail light, I would have full coverage on the rest of the bike's electrical system.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
107 Posts
The 1 year warranty is pathetic--my dealer made me a good offer for the 4 year extended warranty so I went for it (covers everything that the original warranty does). I probably won't have the bike for more than 3 years, so it will be good for resale.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just like anything in life insure against major losses and self-insure the minor ones. 99% of the time you'll come out better putting your $ in good investments and self-insuring auto repairs, home repairs, etc.

Why do you think they market the hell out of these things? It's called brainwashing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, Cycle Parts Nation has a 4 yr extended factory warranty for my bike for $620. Gonna do it, especially with labor at around $125 an hour. Consider me brainwashed. The two repairs I've had so far are over $600 total. It's also a peace-of-mind thing, one less thing to worry about. Of course now I have to postpone my Ivan ECU flash.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
Bob, as far as the flash goes, it can be returned to stock if it ever needed to be stock again. Theres no charge for that. Just shipping You dont want to wait 4 years for a flash.

On a euro bike where you have a warranty risk, I get it, but not on this bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts