Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
he may never go swimming again.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don't be too hard on the guy. A FLASH FLOOD is called that for a reason. I've been on a road that went from wet to 18" deep in <5 minutes with no warning other than it started raining pretty hard.
Fortunately my trusty pickup truck's intake is about 30" off the ground.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
It appears he had the option to go straight and avoid the turn and perhaps take a road parallel to that one on higher ground. Either way sometimes the safest move is find a spot to pull over and wait it out, even if it means you're going to be partially submerged

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Some lessons in life are learned best by others. Some people just dont believe it till they experience it.

·
Registered
2012 Ninja Z1000SX (Green)
13 Posts
I ridden through deeper, but it was going slower. It was the only choice as the water was rising rapidly and the sides of the road were lower (ie. deeper), sloped downwards and mud/grass. Water was lapping my boots when they were on the pegs by the time I made it through. Couldn't turn around as it was interstate and cars were arriving (and stopping) at rapid pace. Followed a semi through the water (so I could keep an eye on the depth and to push anything out of the way.

And with some luck of course.

You can just see the flooded highway in the back of the photo (I was on the blue VFR). The cops are just about to arrive and shut the road. (Also see the double rainbow!).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yikes! It is not often that we hear of the Interstate Highway flooding. Where did this happen?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Reminds me of my trip to AK several years ago. Going by Kluane Lake in heavy rain we ran through a section of water and mud running across the road. It was just a couple inches deep but rushing like crazy. No problem. A quarter mile later or so there was a torrent going across the road with egg sized rocks, lots of mud and water 8-10" deep rushing across the road down into the lake. Nowhere to go but ahead so we cautiously kept going through the mess. We got to Destruction Bay and stopped for breakfast and there was a highway truck pulling out heading back the way we came. Inside I remarked to the waitress/cook/owner that wherever that truck was going was getting pretty bad. She said it was her husband and he was going out to put the road closed signs up because a landslide was reported.
When we got to Anchorage a buddy of mine who lived there handed me a newspaper with an aerial photo of a mile long stretch of the AlCan highway that was buried in a landslide and would remain closed for at least 2 weeks. We dodged a bullet! We stayed a few extra days in AK and then headed back. The road was open again by the time we got there.
Sorry, no pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yikes! It is not often that we hear of the Interstate Highway flooding. Where did this happen?
It was in NSW, Australia. Between Sydney and Melbourne (for the locals, just after the Golden Vale Rd turnoff, heading south). It would have been 2014.

A heavy downpour had started about 25mins before and a farmer's dam in the field next to the road had overflowed, flowing across the highway.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I've ridden with allot of ADV guys that are convinced they can ride through anything. I"ve ridden thorugh still water that was knee high but I wouldnt want to chance moving water where the ground is shifting. I also wouldn't try anything waist high.

·
Registered
782 Posts
How dumb do you have to be to ride directly into a river? Hot damn.
Depends on what you know about it. I've done that very kind of ride in a river I KNEW was 12"-24" deep with a decently smooth gravel bottom on a 2 stroke dirt bike that, when drowned, all you had to do was drag it to shore and let it sit 15 minutes for all the water to drain out of it and it would restart. I know because I tested it a couple of times. There was also no expensive plastic or other parts to hurt. I'm pretty sure I'd never do it with a modern adventure bike. I know I wouldn't because I know I don't have the skills, reflexes or strength to ride like that anymore. But once up on a time there was an adventurous guy in this body...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I loved the video! This was the best laugh that I've had all day! I'm glad he videoed it. He was like- I got this... Oh, I don't got this... Uh, I'll save my bike, yeah, save my bike! Uh, Oh! Save myself! F___ the bike! Oh my bike! :p

·
Registered
362 Posts
LOL! Yes I thought the river riding and the panic videos of it was quite hilarious. The dude was feeling smug as a bug in a rug thinking he can do anything on a Dual Sport. Been there done that on my DR650...just not into a river. But I can see how a dual sport can make you feel invincible at times. You're riding high. You've got tons of suspension travel. Rugged tires. You've gone and done things you will never do on a street bike. What's a little river crossing hey?

Guy Rides His Bike Into a Flash Flood And Disappears

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like he just did a right turn off the bridge!?! And then he hung onto the hand grips and just tucked his head down as he went into the river. He must of thought he could just ride this one out, and come out ok.

Note to self: When riding off of a bridge into a river, let go of bike as soon as possible...

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks like he just did a right turn off the bridge!?! And then he hung onto the hand grips and just tucked his head down as he went into the river. He must of thought he could just ride this one out, and come out ok.

Note to self: When riding off of a bridge into a river, let go of bike as soon as possible...
I think he would have found a lot of pressure from the water flow, turning the bike to the right. I found the exact same thing when I was following the semi (see above). When my front wheel was in the V of water from the truck's rear wheel, the bike wanted to turn away. I eased back a little further into the wake of the truck and the pressure went away and I could keep the bike straight. Even for what was almost no flow, the pressure was reasonably strong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts