Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a 2010 Z1000 which was ridden a lot in the rain, parked outdoors without a cover, etc. Started having really weird electrical issues, including error code 39. I spent a few weeks pulling my hair out trying to figure out what in the world was going on.

Ended up taking the bike to Ivan, and he was able to find the problem. There was significant corrosion at a point deep inside the wiring harness wrapping.

That's my single anecdote.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Well...I caved in and took it to a mechanic in town. He did some preliminary investigating and thinks he has it narrowed down to the ground bundle on the left, down near the throttle body. Funny thing is now the bike starts and runs and he can't get it to stall or die again.

Will let you all know what he finds.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well...I caved in and took it to a mechanic in town. He did some preliminary investigating and thinks he has it narrowed down to the ground bundle on the left, down near the throttle body. Funny thing is now the bike starts and runs and he can't get it to stall or die again.

Will let you all know what he finds.
That's always the case, isn't it? But the theory of a failing connection might yet be the cause of your problems. Maybe the effort to determine the cause (by say pulling/shaking/yanking wires) was enough to clear out whatever was causing the connection to be intermittent...

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts
I remember finding the bundle when I installed my power commander. It looked like a problem waiting to happen. It was hidden fairly well, too.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well......my mechanic friend Roy got the bike last week and began his investigation. I delivered it to him stripped of all the fairings, covers etc. Oddly enough, while he was doing his initial checks the bike started and ran, after which he could not get it to die again despite his best efforts. He went through the whole wiring harness, pulled all the connectors, checked the ground bundles and ground connections etc.......and found nothing. While he was at it he put dialectic grease on all the connectors before reassembly. He also checked the tip over sensor thinking maybe it was causing some sort of issue......nope. So he calls me and says he could find nothing wrong despite his best efforts and can not get the bike to sputter or die.

The diagnostic code points to a communication loss between the meter and ECU. He says that if it happens again the last resort might be replacing one of these. But now the bike is running again. Impossible to find the root cause when it is running fine.

I took the bike for a two hour rip yesterday and it ran like a champ. Good grief!!!! Just wondering when the ghost in the machine is going to rear it's ugly head again.

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts
Hopefully he fixed it. If it happens again, it might not hurt to rip the seat off and feel the ecu and the rest of the components. Sometimes these parts get warm, then stop working.

You could send your ecu to Ivan. Heck, maybehes an update? Not that the update would fix this, but his latest flash is amazing. You probably have that, anyway. If its faulty, I dont know anyone else who would know more?

·
Registered
179 Posts
It could have been a marginal connection that acted up when it became hot enough.. All the unplugging and plugging of connectors would have 'fixed' the contact issues...

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hopefully he fixed it. If it happens again, it might not hurt to rip the seat off and feel the ecu and the rest of the components. Sometimes these parts get warm, then stop working.

You could send your ecu to Ivan. Heck, maybehes an update? Not that the update would fix this, but his latest flash is amazing. You probably have that, anyway. If its faulty, I dont know anyone else who would know more?
Yes, I have his latest flash......and it is brilliant. It makes the bike such a joy to ride. Velvety smooth power delivery.

Going for another rip through the twisties tomorrow. Have the wheel chock and ramps in the truck in the event I need to be rescued.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update on the "ghost in the machine" issue I was experiencing.

Since getting it back from the mechanic, I have ridden the bike three different times for a total of about 10 hours. Have blasted down the interstate for about 60 miles at speed and ridden it hard in the twisties and the issue has not reared it's ugly head since.

At this point I feel like the issue has been resolved but the root cause is still unknown. Somehow along the way of disconnecting / connecting things and adding dialectic grease to everything the problem appears to be resolved.

Going back out on the bike tomorrow........still can't be conclusive about the issue since no real problem was found and repaired, but I am not about to miss out of some of the best riding weather of the year. September weather is the best here in Kentucky.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
This is such a bad news, good news story. If you're like me it'll be a long time before you totally trust the machine. Hopefully the gremlin was exorcised forever.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
This is such a bad news, good news story. If you're like me it'll be a long time before you totally trust the machine. Hopefully the gremlin was exorcised forever.
I am beginning to trust the bike but am not yet 100% convinced. What is so aggravating is that it had never given me one second of trouble until I let someone else work on the bike. I have always done my own maintenance but at 33,000 miles decided the valve inspection needed to be addressed. (Skipped the first one at 16,000) It was something I did not feel comfortable attempting on my own so I reluctantly took it to a shop and the issue began after I got the bike back. The shop that did the work claimed the issue could not have anything to do with them performing the valve inspection (which is bull crap as we know that wire harness has to be unplugged in a few places) and only told me to check the kickstand switch.......which I had already done.

Going for another ride today. Still have the truck loaded with ramps and the Baxley chock......just in case.

Reactions: rcannon409
41 - 52 of 52 Posts