Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a tuner not far away that advertises the EC 997 dyno, i guess its suppose to be a good dyno. Wander what gains would be had by going this route getting tuned with a dyno. This guy in north carolina has evidentally been in buisness for years catering to the tail of the dragon clientale and his pricing seems to be pretty good, evidentally he can do it all with a bike, just wandering how much more might be on the table going this route.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
That dyno is known for being more accurate. They dynojet typically shows variation from place to place.

Better? Probably not, and I'll explain. I run my stock bike and get 140hp, great. I add a pipe and get 145.....I've gained 5hp..

I go to store b and get 120 hp. After his tuning I get 125.

Net result is a gain of 5hp, and thats ALL matters. Obviously, we are not talking about quality and such, but if chasing numbers is what you after.

Search "Z 1000 reflash" "Z 1000 tune" "ninja 1000 reflash" or whatever else you want. Everyone ends up in the same place other than Ivan .

Honest, if someone promised me a tune 5% more accurate, or whatever "more accurate" I would say "thanks" and move along unless they had some examples of my exact bike.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I am right with RC on this one. I've had a lot of bikes on dynos. Even the same bike going to a different dyno can vary greatly with the numbers it lays down. What the dyno can't show you is the quality of that output. For a street bike I want high quality throttle response rather than bragging rights. Ivan gives more more power AND much improved throttle response. Running the bike on the dyno isn't going to help a lot of the areas as it is just for peak load.

I'd rather give up some HP if I have to and end up with better throttle response. Honestly, I can almost guarantee you can't feel the difference if the N1K is putting 140 or 145 to the rear wheel. It almost makes almost no difference in 1/4 mile pass either.

At the end of the day my N1K is a street bike, not a race bike. It will never compete with a ZX10R and I don't care if it does anyway. The fastest way to make the N1K quicker is to shave weight off of it. I've ran probably over 400 performance modeling scenarios and that is far and away the best way to make it quicker. Top speed is not relevant as even 10 HP has almost no effect. Aerodynamics are the real factor here. Now if you can get a massive increase like on the bottle, then we might see some results but the N1K is pretty heavy and making a fair amount of HP already. We either need to whack 50 lbs of of it or get about another 30HP to make a real difference. Neither is cheap or easy to do (unless running a bottle).

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
The reflash Ivan does will accomplish much more than an accurate dyno tune.

He does things inside the ecu that the rest are not able to access, and that cant be fixed with a power commander.

A more accurate dyno is like my checking account balance. It really makes no difference if my balance is -423.62 or "about-425.00"

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just get the Ivans..its more than just a "curve" that Ivan provides.

If you are from the car world it is apples to oranges. While any shop can tweak their equipment... A dyno tune is very much the preferred way to go over a flash, but again its putting as many controls on the environment as you can, and comparing only runs from that dyno.

I have had my evo make 335 AWHP on a dynopak (complete garbage) and make 280 AWHP on a Mustang (probably the most conservative) and could have driven to a Dynojet shop and made 310AWHP without changing a thing.

The best way is to take a baseline and go from there for cars. For bikes.. you flash with Ivan. He buys the bike, he spends months both tuning and riding the bike. That's tribal knowledge right there.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay say you get the ivan flash, then you start having unforseen problems down the road and need to take the bike to the shop and get worked on and they hook up to your ecu would it have an effect on there readings far as diagnosing, i assume they couldnt undo what ivan has done on the reflash like trying to put it back to normal

·
Registered
828 Posts
I can't speak specifically for Ivan's but if you have issues, you can easily send it back and have it returned to stock. I have had other ECUs reflashed on cars and not a single time could the dealer tell. Not saying they couldn't ultimately but the techs aren't that sharp.

Even Audi who was hyper sensitive to tunes on their turbo cars couldn't tell. When you unplugged the ECU, it showed a lost of 12v power code and they would then try and claim you did something. If you had a major warranty claim that they might try and pin on the ECU as the issue, then they could dive into the code and see.

I've run a high output tune on my Ford bumping the HP from 350 to 500 HP for 70k miles, towing trailers, drag strip passes and more with no issues. They key is not to try and extract every HP out of the motor and to leave a good safety margin. Ivan isn't tuning for max HP but more for all around better performance and drivability. It actually a pretty conservative tune on the HP side but you do definitely see gains and they are very obvious down low.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i guess i need to put ivans on my to do list since never driving the ninja except for mine i dont know what to expect or how to compare.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
Mark....i saw this from 2016. Man we are getting old.

Ivan updated the ninja flash in 2017. The 2017 version is "e6". Its a free upgrade if you have his earlier work.

It sounds crazy, but flash e6 is unreal. If you have that version, you will know it.

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha FZ-10 2017 Suzuki M109R
101 Posts
Just updated my girlfriend's 2014 Z1000 to Ivan's latest flash. Sent it in along with my M109R ECU. Ivan would be my first choice hands down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts